Cost Of Wedding

acman
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have an idea of the cost of a small wedding in the philippines? (Iligan City)My sister in law is getting married at the end of the month.My wife wants to send her $100.00 to help with the wedding.Sounds like a very low amount of money for a wedding to me.What do you guys think? I would like to send more but i dont want to send to much money.Any suggestions?

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Does anyone have an idea of the cost of a small wedding in the philippines? (Iligan City)My sister in law is getting married at the end of the month.My wife wants to send her $100.00 to help with the wedding.Sounds like a very low amount of money for a wedding to me.What do you guys think? I would like to send more but i dont want to send to much money.Any suggestions?
How much do you send and how often? If you send for the wedding, you will be expected to do the same for the next one... and birthdays and of course funerals and graduations.... and let's not forget the medical bills.... so, maybe your wife is right.... Send some 'help' not pay the entire bill.....

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Be thankful that the requested contribution is only $100. My suggestion is to send just one half ($50) accompanied by some lame excuse such as you are low on cash at the moment. Otherwise, next time, the amount requested will double or triple. This is the way Philippine relatives test the limits of your generosity. Don't worry about comparative values. While $50 might be a small amount for you, it is considered a significant amount in the Philippines.

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Then send the $100! Sounds like you got good in laws.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
We dont send very much,and very seldom.I sent money after the flood because her uncle lost his house and everything he owned.The only reason i sent her uncle money was he was really great to me last time i was there.He has his own jeepney and carried me everywhere i wanted to go and all i did was buy the gas.He would not accept any money for his time.My wifes family has never asked for any money before or if they did my wife must told them no!I really dont think they have ever asked for money because my father in law told me before we got married that he was not like other filipinos and he didnt want or expect any money from me. He just wanted me to take care of his daughter and make her happy.
Trust your wife, she sounds like a good woman.
  • Like 2

oldutot
Posted
Posted

My advise is to send money, that you can afford to. The success in my marriage, is that I have good relationship with most of my wife's family.Sorry folks that I don't have any family horror stories.

• Like 3

kenn
Posted
Posted

$100 bucks is not a lot for a large occasion. Tell your wife that you will not send $100...... tell her that you will send $120. The extra $20 will go along way with points with the wifey....

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

To answer your actual question,- a small wedding can be had at a cost of about P200 per head for the wedding feast in a Filipino restaurant.- If they get married at first mass, the church wedding is free.- the wedding clothes can be borrowed.- the cake is often a present from one of the sponsorsSo, depending on how small the wedding is, you may be paying for the whole thing. Regards: Jim

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
My advise is to send money, that you can afford to. The success in my marriage, is that I have good relationship with most of my wife's family.Sorry folks that I don't have any family horror stories.
Same here great family.A hudred bucks would buy one or two pigs. Edited by Old55