Visiting Philippines, Rent Car And Driver Or Taxi Oncall?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

During Philippines visits we use taxi cabs to get around. Some have working brakes, shocks and even aircon but that’s rare.Anyone rent a van or car with driver for a week or more? I will not drive in Philippines for many good reasons.What do visitors or expats do for transportation when you must have a reliable car or van all day?I rented a taxi for long trips and that worked well for us. We have not rented one for the day have any members done that? How did it go?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

This is the kinda thing I was thinking of getting into. :lol: Not sure my wife would go for it. :th_th7:Misa-Campo_06-550x368.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

never mind I found one.Her name is Barbie..... wait for it.... San Miguel!barbie-san-miguel-01.jpg

Edited by Old55
  • Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
s3_01.jpgOffice locations;http://www.safarirentacarinc.com/safari_contact.htmlRates & types of vehicles available;http://www.safariren...fari_rates.html Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

volstateguy
Posted
Posted
never mind I found one.Her name is Barbie..... wait for it.... San Miguel!barbie-san-miguel-01.jpg
NICE!!!! Took a few minutes for me to realize there was a car in that pic :)

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Most rent-a-car companies require that you also get a driver. They don't want to risk theft, and in the event of an accident, the home team always wins. Foreigners don't stand a chance unless they can explain to the police officer what happened in Filipino. The additional cost for a driver is reasonable. It's about P700 per day plus tip. JJR

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Yeah, I rented a car and driver in Manila for 2000 to 3000 pesos a day, usually a decent car but not new. Long trips were more, I rented a van with driver (and the owner insisted on riding along) for under 5000 pesos, but the normal cost was closer to 7000 or 8000 if you didn't know where to ask. I love driving in the Philippines, though I refused to for the first year or two because it had my psyched out. Once I spent a year or so riding taxis I started to get the hang of it. But I don't drive outside of Baguio City much. Better to have a Filipino at the wheel particularly if there is a scratched fender or dinged bumper.

• Like 2

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
During Philippines visits we use taxi cabs to get around. Some have working brakes, shocks and even aircon but that’s rare.Anyone rent a van or car with driver for a week or more? I will not drive in Philippines for many good reasons.What do visitors or expats do for transportation when you must have a reliable car or van all day?I rented a taxi for long trips and that worked well for us. We have not rented one for the day have any members done that? How did it go?
While running around during out trips we always keep our eyes open for a newer taxi with a nice driver and if they speak English all the better, so we keep contact info on them. On our last stay we found a nice young man named Ramil and rented him and his taxi for one trip to a party of one of our members where he waited for us and also used his services to go to the airport and a couple other longer trips and will surely do it again since he was always very reasonable and picked us up at the time we specified, and we can also highly recommend him since he speaks good English and is a hard working reliable man. In Cebu City Ramil 09219 524 439 and I am sure he might remember us if you care to mention we live in Winland Towers. I recommend people do what we do since we use taxis all the time, so take quite a few and a few will always stand out in the crowd.
  • Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Besides Safari Rental office being just across the street from where we live, we also have a backup alternate driver we know personally who has a UR Nissan van we use for NAIA delivery and pickup. But as usual, the cost keeps going up when the price of gas and toll booth collection prices goes up! :)

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

My experience driving here was not a good one. Toyco is the major car rental company, you can rent any kind of car with or without driver and they will deliver to you. I have heard only good things about them. If you need a car w/driver I can recommend a couple of very good ones if you want.

• Like 2