Cni...cert Of No Impediment

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

Jolly, did you go in person to get your CNI?

I did talk to one expat once who said they took a day trip from Cebu to Manila to get there CNI and got it done. I get there after 5am in the morning, I could give it a go and book a flight out around 6pm or something....

'

anyone who has been to get there CNI there it would be grateful to hear about your experience.

I have to consider if I should just post the check and form in the mail when I'm there and wait the expected 3 weeks but how can I trust the PH mail system for a start.

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

At least you will be dealing with your Embassy to apply for the CNI. Hopefully you will have better luck there, but don't expect getting married in the Philippines to be fast and easy.

I think I will disagree with that as certainly was quick and easy for me.  :)

Getting married in the Philippines can be quick and easy if you have all of the required documents and there are no errors in them.

My wife traveled from Cebu to Mindanao to get a copy of her Birth Certificate from the Civil Registry so she could send it to NSO in Manila so a NSO copy would be available as required to get married.  She knew there was a Birth Certificate on file somewhere because a copy was required to start high school.  She traveled from Barangay to Barangay trying to find out where her birth was registered and finally give up and went through the long process of creating a new Birth Certificate.

To create a new Birth Certificate she was required to have a Baptismal Certificate.  She's not Catholic so she has never been Baptized.  There was a Baptist Church in Mindanao that she attended a few times so she went back to Mindanao and asked the Pastor to make a Baptismal Certificate of her.  He didn't want to but for the right amount of money anything is possible here.

I was required to submit divorce papers which to me only proves I was divorced but doesn't prove I didn't get married again.  Anyway, it took almost 8 months to get someone in the USA to get a Certified copy of my divorce and mail it to me.

Getting the Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage from the US Consulate in Cebu City was easy, it only took two trips.  The first trip it was closed. The US Embassy in Manila and Consulate in Cebu closes on all US Holidays, which is 10 or 12 and Philippine holidays, which I believe is about 20.  The Philippines has National Holidays and Cebu has some additional Holidays.  Its almost impossible to know when all of them are.

An American who was living in the apartment building with me applied for a Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage at the consulate and his request was denied so he was forced to go through the process of applying for a Fiancee Visa instead.

A Belgium man and his girlfriend are living in the apartment building with me now.  He was hoping they could get married soon until she told him that there's an error on her Birth Certificate.  Her Birth Certificate says she is a male and since a male can't marry a male yet in the Philippines her Birth Certificate must be corrected.  Its easy to prove she's a female so its easy to correct the error right?  Wrong, they must hire a Lawyer to get the error corrected. I don't know how much it will cost or how long it will take but nothing gets done fast here, especially when dealing with the legal system.

Very common errors on Birth Certificates which requires a Lawyer to correct are, misspelled names, wrong gender, and wrong date of birth.  Recently the President said on TV that he was making it faster and easier to correct errors on Birth Certificates, but don't forget last year we were told that Entry Visas were increased from 21 to 30 days but no one had gotten one yet.  Just more proof that nothing gets done fast in the Philippines.

• Like 1

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

I did talk to one expat once who said they took a day trip from Cebu to Manila to get there CNI and got it done. I get there after 5am in the morning, I could give it a go and book a flight out around 6pm or something....

'

anyone who has been to get there CNI there it would be grateful to hear about your experience.

I have to consider if I should just post the check and form in the mail when I'm there and wait the expected 3 weeks but how can I trust the PH mail system for a start.

It was 5 years ago, but I got to the Oz Embassy in Manila at about 9am and walked out with my CNI at 9.45am, minus about 3,500 pesos.

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

No I got mine here in Australia. I honestly can not remember what I did but it would have been posted to me.

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/marriage.html

• Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

It was 5 years ago, but I got to the Oz Embassy in Manila at about 9am and walked out with my CNI at 9.45am, minus about 3,500 pesos.

Thanks Paul, in fact I remember now you mentioning you went there so that is good to know.

I have to decide if it's worth going there after a long plane trip with my carry on luggage or just sending it by mail later. I'm probably leaning to the later ....

edit: after thinking about it I'm probably going to give it a shot...

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

So I'm looking at just going to the office while I'm in Manila but I'm a little unsure about this part in the form:

*The persons before whom this declaration may be made are: a legal practitioner; a medical practitioner; an Australian Consular Officer; an Australian Diplomatic Officer; a person authorised under section 3© or 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; a bailiff; a civil marriage celebrant; a clerk of a court; a Justice of the Peace; a magistrate; a minister of religion; a Notary Public; a police officer; a Registrar or Deputy Registrar of a court; or a permanent employee (with 5 or more years of continuous service) of a local government authority or of Commonwealth, State or Territory government or authority.

I'm not sure where I can get that signed after I arrive at the airport and before I get to the immigration office?

When I was in the Philippines last year we actually completed the form and decided to go to the local police station to get them to sign it which was a big mistake. We were taken into what I think was the main man there and he asked us what we were there for. I showed him the form and explained we are planning to get married but need to send this form but it needs to be witness first. He looked puzzled and looked over the form many times and asked us many questions. My fiancée tried to also explain to him but he seemed very suspicious that we needed to have the form signed and I actually was made to feel like I was a criminal and needed to put my case forward for innocence. he eventually signed it but was acted very strange about it. I felt like just walking out but it was too late for that. So when we walked out they all looked at us like it was a side show laughing etc and before we were allowed out we were told we have to have our photos taken separately standing by the desk holding a bell rope. What  a joke, this is why I would never use the police for anything there ever. Anyway they signed it but I threw the form away as I did not want that a**h*le to be a witness for us plus we never went ahead with the marriage then anyway as I had to return to Australia.

So I don't want to go to a police officer again, not sure where or how I can get the form signed before I take the form to the immigration office unless they will be a witness there?

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

Americano, Maybe Mr.Belgium needs to do a thorough check of his Mrs.......maybe she'll turn out to be his boyfriend. :hystery:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So I'm looking at just going to the office while I'm in Manila but I'm a little unsure about this part in the form:

*The persons before whom this declaration may be made are: a legal practitioner; a medical practitioner; an Australian Consular Officer; an Australian Diplomatic Officer; a person authorised under section 3© or 3(d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955; a bailiff; a civil marriage celebrant; a clerk of a court; a Justice of the Peace; a magistrate; a minister of religion; a Notary Public; a police officer; a Registrar or Deputy Registrar of a court; or a permanent employee (with 5 or more years of continuous service) of a local government authority or of Commonwealth, State or Territory government or authority.

I'm not sure where I can get that signed after I arrive at the airport and before I get to the immigration office?

When I was in the Philippines last year we actually completed the form and decided to go to the local police station to get them to sign it which was a big mistake. We were taken into what I think was the main man there and he asked us what we were there for. I showed him the form and explained we are planning to get married but need to send this form but it needs to be witness first. He looked puzzled and looked over the form many times and asked us many questions. My fiancée tried to also explain to him but he seemed very suspicious that we needed to have the form signed and I actually was made to feel like I was a criminal and needed to put my case forward for innocence. he eventually signed it but was acted very strange about it. I felt like just walking out but it was too late for that. So when we walked out they all looked at us like it was a side show laughing etc and before we were allowed out we were told we have to have our photos taken separately standing by the desk holding a bell rope. What  a joke, this is why I would never use the police for anything there ever. Anyway they signed it but I threw the form away as I did not want that a**h*le to be a witness for us plus we never went ahead with the marriage then anyway as I had to return to Australia.

So I don't want to go to a police officer again, not sure where or how I can get the form signed before I take the form to the immigration office unless they will be a witness there?

I think the police were surprised by your bringing the form to them - had they ever seen it before?  They probably thought somebody was pulling a prank on you.  And that would explain the idea of getting your pictures taken the way they did.  At the same time, if the form was good, the pictures would cover their (donkeys) in case somebody came back to query them about the form.  I wouldn't worry about it as they were probably as confused as you were.

Who is going to marry you?  Why not just go to them to have the form signed?  They are on the list of signees.  Just remember that usually you are suppose to sign forms like this with them observing and then they sign immediately after.

Good luck on your marriage and don't let the stress get you down...  It can only get better once everything is done and the confetti / rice / bird poop has finished falling!  

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Americano, Maybe Mr.Belgium needs to do a thorough check of his Mrs.......maybe she'll turn out to be his boyfriend. :hystery:

They are living together but I know anything is possible after watching the Jerry Springer show.  On his show was a young girl with a boyfriend who had brought her there to tell her a secret.  They would only have sex in the dark so she didn't know that her boyfriend was really a girl wearing a fake penis that she made.  And, she kept her breasts bound up tight so no one could see them.  There was another couple who only had sex in the dark.  The girl brought her boyfriend to the show to tell him that she was really a boy and they were having anal sex.

The lesson to be learned is to only have sex with the lights on.

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

An American who was living in the apartment building with me applied for a Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage at the consulate and his request was denied so he was forced to go through the process of applying for a Fiancee Visa instead.

I am curious to know why was his LCCM denied?

I have to go there this month and get mine. I have my copies of divorce and birth.

I have heard some bad things however about someone there.

• Like 1