Really Need Advice About Moving To Manila

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Damn those terrorists! I remember the good old days when you could give / sell a ticket and no questions asked! An entire semi legit industry was put out of business by the new security requirements..... There used to be a column in the Ft. Lauderdale paper about tickets for sale on the secondary market.

boxingfan
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all for the kind replies to my question. I think I understand the entry requirements then, and how I should deal with a one-way ticket.Do you have any advice for housing in Manila? Especially, has anyone rented month-by-month or maybe 2-3 months at a time (I don't like to be locked in a long-term contract) at a price below $800 for something that is decent? Is it even possible to rent a nice apartment for $400/month? I used to be able to do that in Rio five years ago...good apt. (not luxury) near the beach for about $450/month. Would be nice to know if it's possible in Manila.So far I find stuff like thishttp://manila.en.craigslist.com.ph/apa/2820330498.htmlwhich seems pretty standard for craigslist but is a bit more than I want to pay. What kind of resources are there for finding apts.?Also is Cebu that much better than Manila?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Cebu City has most of the things offered in Manila but a smaller scale and in some cases cheaper too. Keep in mind most things online in Philippines will be MUCH MUCH higer priced the Kano tax at work I guess.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
I have entered Phils 8 times now and never been asked about a return ticket. Same as always I am asked "how long I am staying" and I ALWAYS say 21 days. End of conversation! Once here I then get an extention (3030p) up to 59 days total. Then extention after extention at various costs, all listed in post on this forum.
I flew back to the US in September of 2011 for an 8 day trip for business. When I returned I was required to show my onward (throw away) ticket at the immigration window. So it is not just the airlines that can ask to see it.
4 years ago when my wife and I did a 3 day weekend turnaround in Bangkok, Thailand from the Philippines, most of the airline check-in counters all had signs displaying information to tourists that they must have on-ward tickets prior to boarding or in our case, returning to the Philippines on PAL! Luckily, we had our on-ward tickets from Cebu Pacific Air, but they were refundable tickets ($125 per person), because I didn't know any better than just to buy the cheapest promo (throw away) tickets under $20 per person back then, we never got our Travel Tax refund (P1,200 per person at the time I think) because it just wasn't worth the hassle! Enough said on about this on-ward (throw away) ticket business huh, because by now, everyone should know the rule of thumb when it concerns follow-on tickets! But......., if one departs from SFO airport from California to Manila and is a Balikbayan, just a one-way ticket maybe permissible exclusively only with Philippine Airlines, if the ruling via an LBC ticket agent still holds true today, because we were able to do just that a few years ago, because that was what an LBC ticket travel agent on Mckee Ave. in San Jose, Ca. informed us and sure enough it worked for us upon check-in at SFO and our arrival in Manila no questions asked even before and after the immigration official stamped our U.S. passports with the one year free BB stamp! So, this is one case that a one-way ticket was permissible, but I don't know if it is still done today for Balikbayans from the west coast via an LBC travel agent and with Philippine Airlines, because it was a "no go" with another agent or a different airline! An unusual twist huh? I even sent an e-mail to an immigration official in Manila and the Philippine Airline customer service to confirm what transpired and they know nothing of the policy concerning one-way tickets from SFO to Manila on PAL via an LBC travel agency! Go figure! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Do you have any advice for housing in Manila? Especially, has anyone rented month-by-month or maybe 2-3 months at a time (I don't like to be locked in a long-term contract) at a price below $800 for something that is decent? Is it even possible to rent a nice apartment for $400/month? I used to be able to do that in Rio five years ago...good apt. (not luxury) near the beach for about $450/month. Would be nice to know if it's possible in Manila.So far I find stuff like thishttp://manila.en.cra...2820330498.htmlwhich seems pretty standard for craigslist but is a bit more than I want to pay. What kind of resources are there for finding apts.?Also is Cebu that much better than Manila?
Did you check out the link I posted before? Perhaps get an idea of rental prices here, http://www.sulit.com...y/0/Real+EstateAlso I believe Fort Bonifacio is the rich mans area so that's why prices are higher.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Bruce just offered you a point of contact! Why don't you contact her and have her be your boots on the ground? I have a contact there who you can use and she will not steal your blind! Life long resident in Manila and able guide. Rose at roseccanlas@yahoo.com.ph Contact her for help in Manila.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Also is Cebu that much better than Manila?
Manila is a dirty sh&t hole. I avoid it if I can.I have lived in or regularly been visiting Cebu City since 1994. I love it there!There are plenty of daytime and night life activities to enjoy.Plenty of shopping in some of the biggest malls in the world.Mactan island has the Mactan Cebu International airport as well as beach resorts, diving and island hopping.You can also use it as a base for travelling to famous tourist islands such as Malapascua, Bantayan, Bohol, Siquijor and Camiguin.This place fits your budgethttp://www.apartelledearcenas.com/rooms.htmlHowever, there is no pool but you can swim nearby, herehttp://www.the-sandtrap.com/Santrap has annual membership so you can swim for free. Something like P4000 per year. Good for the member and 1 guest. The membership also gives you 20% off drinks and 10% off meals.Regards: Jim
  • Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Santrap has annual membership so you can swim for free. Something like P4000 per year.
Hi Jim, I was reading on the Hash website that the Sandtrap has been sold and no one seems sure of the direction the new management will take. Not to take anything away from the excellent info you give out but I thought you may be interested.

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Santrap has annual membership so you can swim for free. Something like P4000 per year.
Hi Jim, I was reading on the Hash website that the Sandtrap has been sold and no one seems sure of the direction the new management will take. Not to take anything away from the excellent info you give out but I thought you may be interested.
Thankyou!I didn't know that. Maybe not such a good time to pay for a membership then!Regards: Jim

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Also is Cebu that much better than Manila?
Manila is a dirty sh&t hole. I avoid it if I can.I have lived in or regularly been visiting Cebu City since 1994. I love it there!There are plenty of daytime and night life activities to enjoy.Plenty of shopping in some of the biggest malls in the world.Mactan island has the Mactan Cebu International airport as well as beach resorts, diving and island hopping.You can also use it as a base for travelling to famous tourist islands such as Malapascua, Bantayan, Bohol, Siquijor and Camiguin.This place fits your budgethttp://www.apartelle....com/rooms.htmlHowever, there is no pool but you can swim nearby, herehttp://www.the-sandtrap.com/Santrap has annual membership so you can swim for free. Something like P4000 per year. Good for the member and 1 guest. The membership also gives you 20% off drinks and 10% off meals.Regards: Jim
Jim, regarding your comment about Manila, what is your opinion about Cebu growing and 'when' it will be like Manila?When I first arrived I visited Cebu and Samar and of course Manila. Over the past 2-3 years, I as a tourist have seen Cebu growing so fast and congested with cars, that I lost interest in it. So I stay out on Samar which seems to be better suited for me. While the lure (no budget) of a condo in Manila / Cebu for a diversion to the rural life would be interesting, I would have to choose Manila because I can fly in and out to the US directly via PAL which is hour for hour, door to door, a shorter time than say one of the airlines that fly out of Cebu. But I can only take Manila for a week at most.
  • Like 1