Earthquake In Cebu/negros , As Most Probably Already Know

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted

Details according to the USGS: Magnitude 6.8 Date-Time

• Monday, February 06, 2012 at 03:49:16 UTC
  • Monday, February 06, 2012 at 11:49:16 AM at epicenter
Location 9.964°N, 123.246°E Depth 46.6 km (29.0 miles) Region NEGROS - CEBU REGION, PHILIPPINES Distances
  • 70 km (44 miles) N (355°) from Dumaguete, Negros, Philippines
  • 79 km (49 miles) WNW (298°) from Tagbilaran, Bohol, Philippines
  • 80 km (50 miles) SSE (158°) from Bacolod, Negros, Philippines
  • 574 km (356 miles) SSE (154°) from MANILA, Philippines

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 13.5 km (8.4 miles); depth +/- 11.5 km (7.1 miles) Parameters NST= 72, Nph= 75, Dmin=744.7 km, Rmss=1.03 sec, Gp= 47°, M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8 Source

• Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D) Location: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usb0007wgq

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Here on Samar, we just had another earthquake at 9:09 pm the 4th (now). Lasted about 3 seconds. Had a smaller one several days ago. Seem to be about 30 miles +- north east of Samar in the ocean.Just minor shaking, no big deal.....
Yesterday I barely glanced at this post but about 15 minutes ago we had one here. Only lasted a few seconds but very scary. It was the 1st one I experienced and wasn't what I expected, very hard to walk and made me dizzy. Just had some aftershocks and my monitor is shaking. I would think the location of Cebu island, being in between large land masses like Bohol would make a tsunami unlikely, anyone know?
  • Like 1

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
Here on Samar, we just had another earthquake at 9:09 pm the 4th (now). Lasted about 3 seconds. Had a smaller one several days ago. Seem to be about 30 miles +- north east of Samar in the ocean.Just minor shaking, no big deal.....
Yesterday I barely glanced at this post but about 15 minutes ago we had one here. Only lasted a few seconds but very scary. It was the 1st one I experienced and wasn't what I expected, very hard to walk and made me dizzy. Just had some aftershocks and my monitor is shaking. I would think the location of Cebu island, being in between large land masses like Bohol would make a tsunami unlikely, anyone know?
The USGS site rates the Tsunami potential as low
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup ...... my legs are still shaking ..... as we live on the ground floor of a 4 story building I killed the power and ran outside to the street ....... I am amazed at the people that just stayed inside the building ...... still getting after shocks and everytime one goes off I get ready to run outside again ...... well that was a new life experience for me ...... have had small ones but not this size and so close ......

• Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Myrlita & I just experienced our 1st earthquake this am. They say it was a 6.8. There were 4 aftershocks as well. ABS-CBN has a story which I have the link:http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/regions/02/06/12/magnitude-68-quake-jolts-negros-cebu-region. It was scary. Schools, the malls, & some offices have shut down. Hope everyone in the area is ok. God Bless....

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
post-11-0-53226500-1328520034_thumb.pngJust showing the after shocks but in all fairness I didn't feel these half as bad as the first one ......Steve & Myrlita ......... my asawa is in Bacolod right now with her mom taking her to the eye doctors ..... she said they ran everyone out of SM and wouldn't let them back in for a while ....... the security guard told her that there were a lot of things broken and spilled ...... when they finally got back in she said a some of stores were closed ...... it was kind of traumatic for us with her being there and me here trying to text and call each other ...... thank god she flies home tomorrow ...... :hystery: ..... Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

I cannot understand the people, They run out of the buildings because they fear they may collapse...and then they stand within a few feet of it ?

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Maybe they want to die outside, just joking. Geological Fault lines are all over the Philippines, so its possible to have an Earth Quake anywhere in the Philippines. What surprises me is the Filipino people seem to have no training concerning Earth Quakes. They panic because they don't know what to do or to expect. I saw a Gaisano evacuate their employees today but they were all standing and sitting beside the building, like that was a safe place.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hmmm.... They did say the world was going to end in 2012... Earthquakes in the Philippines... Heard Vancouver Canada had one around the same time... Seriously, I kind of wish I was in the Philippines to experience the earthquake BECAUSE THAT WOULD MEAN I'M NOT STUCK HERE IN THE COLD!!! :23_11_62[1]:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

There's a lot of nervous people near in the earthquake zone. If you want to come join them, Bob, you better 'shake a leg'