Kano prices,who is the blame

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Dave that brought back a laugh for me in a roundabout way: when I first met my wife we flew her brothers and sister in-law over to Manila and put them up in a hotel we were staying in. After our meal, the wife paid the bill and left a tip, and of course like most of you, I didn't want to make out i was a cheap skate so the tip wasn't to bad. But unbeknown to me the brother in-law pocketed the tip and over the next few days he'd hang back when we paid the bill and pocket the tip we'd left for the staff. The wife's son who was with us was laughing about it on their last day and told me what Uncle Peter was up to. I fronted him and told him that wasn't his money it was for good service, it was theirs. he didn't blink an eye and said, " they get paid why waste your money and pulled out close to 1000 peso that we'd tipped over the week and handed it back to me. See he said now you have enough Peso to lend it to me. That buggard me I had no answer for that and by the way, if any-one wants a lend of Uncle Peter I'm sure we can work a deal out. :hystery:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Clermont said:

Dave that brought back a laugh for me in a roundabout way: when I first met my wife we flew her brothers and sister in-law over to Manila and put them up in a hotel we were staying in. After our meal, the wife paid the bill and left a tip, and of course like most of you, I didn't want to make out i was a cheap skate so the tip wasn't to bad. But unbeknown to me the brother in-law pocketed the tip and over the next few days he'd hang back when we paid the bill and pocket the tip we'd left for the staff. The wife's son who was with us was laughing about it on their last day and told me what Uncle Peter was up to. I fronted him and told him that wasn't his money it was for good service, it was theirs. he didn't blink an eye and said, " they get paid why waste your money and pulled out close to 1000 peso that we'd tipped over the week and handed it back to me. See he said now you have enough Peso to lend it to me. That buggard me I had no answer for that and by the way, if any-one wants a lend of Uncle Peter I'm sure we can work a deal out. :hystery:

Funny story but also partially caused by overtipping. After all if you'd left modest P20 or P30 tips, Uncle Peter might not have been motivated to steal the tips. But by doling out P1000 over the week because you didn't want to come off as a cheap skate...well that was tempting fate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, scott h said:

Frankly I don't care, If I get better service because I tip well at a restaurant that I regularly patronize, or my barber give me a tad better service while others are waiting, or our normal Pedi cab driver sees us coming and hustles up to us to grab us as a fare, its their look out. 

There are many disadvantages to being a foreigner here (as we have all seen in topics here) so by Golly, I am going to grab onto the main advantage we have and wring it for all its worth :nudie:

I will tip for good service but I do try to keep it within reason.And yes I do sometimes take the advantages you write about.

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Fully agree Dave: but when you have Barragy people with you and they have only ever slept on bamboo mates, the first meeting, one tends to show off tipping like a drunken sailor. Actually the tips were 50 pesos at a time but over the week they added up to nearly 1000 Pesos, but now when I go over there Uncle Peter scoffs at me when I don't leave a tip, FOR HIM. Actually he's a good bloke and has cured me of flashing money around, his words :" If you've got enough Peso's to give to strangers, you've got enough to give to the family".  But when we do go out for a meal I always ask him how much should I tip, just give me 100 pesos and I'll tip, then he bursts out laughing. I don't think I've tipped in a few years, Uncle Peter is always in my mind. :smile:

• Like 2