S&r Store Here In Cebu

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Boca makes veggie meatless hamburger patties, not beef. And the ones that they sell are the original vegan, and imho, taste like old cardboard.
Not sure if you're aware - these have to be cooked with lots of oil or they do taste like cardboard. I used to get them as my last girlfriend was vegetarian and I would either fry them or bbq them while brushing lots of olive oil on them.Mike - GREAT POST!!! You do realize that you now have to go back and make a price list for every item in the store for the rest of us!!! :cheersty: Can't wait til I can check the place out for myself! And then I"ll still probably do my shopping (except meat) at the wet market...
  • Like 1

Bruce
Posted
Posted (edited)

Meatless burgers!!!!!I have a friend from the Bronx. Back after WW2 his uncle opened a 'Burger" place. In the early 1960's there was a spat with the food inspectors about his 'beef burgers'..... after they saw a tub of blood from the slaughterhouse. It seems that he had some soy / grain meal he would hand press into a burger shape in the tub of blood. The inspectors did not like it. He took them outside and showed them his sign BURGERS and asked them if they saw the word BEEF anywhere on the sign......Ah... the good old days..... before the nasty word 'dietitian' became a word and before there was even a degree for such a thing to make some cafeteria worker feel important!

Edited by Bruce

billten
Posted
Posted

My honest opinion is that S&R is EVIL!!! It is impossible to get out of that place with your wallet intact. Always you see something that you 'just gotta have' and then at the checkout you find out you just dropped 10 grand. Just say no...

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Just a little follow up as I was a bit tired yesterday ..... their cleaning section is to me just like being in a store in the US ..... all kinds of cleaning stuff that I was very familiar with ..... cheese ..... can't say enough about their cheese section I actually found Calif. Chipotle Cheddar for 700p a kilo and vacuum packed .... Silver Lake Monterey Jack ... 1lb for 350p ......

Boca makes veggie meatless hamburger patties, not beef. And the ones that they sell are the original vegan, and imho, taste like old cardboard. I have asked my favorite supervisor there to get the better tasting ones. We will see.
Thank you sir ..... I wasn't aware of that ..... the Angus I have tried in the US and like it as far as frozen hamburger goes .... but then after being here for so long I'll bet they will taste damn good ..... on the list for next time ..... :hystery:
My honest opinion is that S&R is EVIL!!! It is impossible to get out of that place with your wallet intact. Always you see something that you 'just gotta have' and then at the checkout you find out you just dropped 10 grand. Just say no...
:hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: We got away easy for our first time but like I said I was getting kinda tired ..... out bill was 3002p .... but we'll be backAlso I understand if you sign up with an email address they will notify you of pending sales .... and as Lordblacknail mentioned above when they have a sale ... they have a sale .....Tried the breakfast steak today for lunch and to be a bit honest it was a little tough as you would expect from the cut of meat ...... but it was very ... very tasty and after more than 4 years sense I had an actual US growed steak ... I ain't complaining one little bit :dance: ..... the other US steak cuts were around 1300p per Kilo where this was about half that .... next time I will do the meats section ...... and maybe give a little info on the spirits .....
Can't wait til I can check the place out for myself! And then I"ll still probably do my shopping (except meat) at the wet market...
Absolutely Bob ..... we will still go to the market regardless ..... S&R is just for those items you can't find elsewhere or have a craving for .... and FYI we buy all our meats at the market not the big ones the local ones where everyone knows everyone else .... if you go early and get to know some of the vendors you can get real good prices and fresh meat .... your GF will know how to do this .... my asawa goes by herself and brings back some of the best tasting meats (except steak) ...... there is an art to shopping in the market for the freshest cuts of meat and only the nose .. knows ..... :mocking: ...... buy the way all the meat at the market she uses is stamped ....
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted
i am bob, on 18 February 2012 - 08:50 PM, said: Can't wait til I can check the place out for myself! And then I"ll still probably do my shopping (except meat) at the wet market... Absolutely Bob ..... we will still go to the market regardless ..... S&R is just for those items you can't find elsewhere or have a craving for .... and FYI we buy all our meats at the market not the big ones the local ones where everyone knows everyone else .... if you go early and get to know some of the vendors you can get real good prices and fresh meat .... your GF will know how to do this .... my asawa goes by herself and brings back some of the best tasting meats (except steak) ...... there is an art to shopping in the market for the freshest cuts of meat and only the nose .. knows ..... ...... buy the way all the meat at the market she uses is stamped ....
Great idea... I"ll let my girlfriend do all the shopping and I'll do the bbq.. :hystery:

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
How true, when it was "PRICESMART" under NON FILIPINO management, the Customer service was GREAT,once the "pure gold " people took over the CS went to PxxP. even it was the SAME Employees , they now was "limited" in the actions/customer service they could doIt still is the BEST PLACE OVERALL to find those "hard to get" items that I / WE like from back home.Good for "billing disputes " on my US issued credit card,as it has solved an "product issue" i had in the pastOH the Pizza. thats another topic Edited by Call me Bubba

Mike S
Posted
Posted

We used to shop at White Gold here in Cebu as they had all kinds of different dried goods and some US stuff ..... but the last time we went there (3 years ago) a damn rat that was almost a foot long and so fat he walked instead of ran came out from under a shelving section and rolled (he couldn't walk) to the next one ...... the funniest part is that there was an employee (not the regular kind as she was wearing a suit like attire) standing on the other side of tubby (no not me ... the rat) she had such a shocked look on her face as she looked at me like she thought I was going to make a scene ....... instead we just laughed and moved on ..... looking out for more rats that is ...... now I know there are rats everywhere in the world including the US but usually when you see one in broad daylight with folks all around you have a very large infestation problem ..... besides when you get to the meat section the store stinks ...... like I said it has been a long time sense we were back there ..... so it might have changed ..... but I doubt it ...... :23_11_62[1]: :mocking:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Ooooh my ..... the Frito Lay French Onion Dip ...... finger lickin' good and the Vlasic dill pickle relish is just as I remember it ...... did I say how happy I am to find this store ..... :hystery: :hystery: ....... I am thinking about the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker but as I only find 2 models on Google and one is $59 and the other around $80 something ..... this one is a bit pricey at around $133 ...... not sure it is worth it ..... plus I forgot to get the model number when I was there ..... I love my ice cream but with all the sugar and carbs in it I refrain ... could make my own with Splenda and cream + water and flavorings ..... already have the coco powder as we sometimes make chocolate candy with the Splenda and cream .... :attention:

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

We have a S & R in Alabang. We're not yet members, because we just go as guesses with friends of ours who are members and we just tag along once in awhile and buy some decent cuts of meats, especially the New York cut beef from Australia among other things! What I miss is, are those Marie Calender chicken pot pies and hot pockets! I think I'm in the mood again to go! :angry: You see, when ever we go, I pick up the tab for lunch in exchange for them taking us to S & R and our lunches aren't cheap either, but I've learned to be more conservative now where we all eat for lunch! :541:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted
What I miss is, are those Marie Calender chicken pot pies and hot pockets!
Yea I hear ya ..... when I was in the states about a year before I left I almost lived on Marie Calender frozen dinners ...... as I worked the night shift I would take one every night and pop it into the micro-wave oven ..... of all the frozen dinners I have ever eaten those were the best ..... not the cheapest but the best with a staggering variety of different meals ...... I have even seen a few here in SM Cebu ..... but they don't look so hot (I know they are frozen) as the carton looked like a steam roller ran over it ..... still I may just have to break down and try one ..... just for old times sake ..... :dance:
  • Like 1