Food - Favorite Snacks?

MikeB
Posted
Posted
MikeB ...... didn't they used to have a kind of unique building they were housed in ... or am I thinking of some other place .... maybe like Tasty-Freeze
From what I remember it was pretty generic-looking but that was a LONG time ago. What I remember is the smell of the doughnuts themselves, seemingly endless trays of them lol.
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I don't understand KK. We got some here in Texas and they are crazy popular. But they taste like lard to me. Sugar covered lard just doesn't do it for me. :hystery:

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I don't understand KK. We got some here in Texas and they are crazy popular. But they taste like lard to me. Sugar covered lard just doesn't do it for me. :541:
If that's the case Bob and it's true about Krispy Kream, then I'll just stick to my "Bear Claw" from DUNKIN' DONUTS! The taste of lard doesn't appeal to me, it will actually make me throw up! :angry:

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I love the KK doughnut. We come back with a few dozen almost every trip to Manila! Mike S, I feel for you. My wife used to be the same way. It was price point, not quality or taste. She's started to move off that a bit now. To a small extent her brother who lives with us and is doing the HRM college thing has too. He made tollhouse chocolate chip cookies for his girlfriend using his own pocket money. Since he is not rich, he used "affordable" ingredients. When I tasted some leftover cookies that didn't go to the girlfriend, I was surprised at their lack of flavor. So I started inquiring and go to the bottom of it. Cheap margarine, cheap chocolate chips, etc etc. Even he could taste the difference. I thought he'd learn but not so much. He made cookies last week and didn't use quality chips or sugar. Big difference for me, to him they were just fine. His future as a great chef stands in some doubt. :(Lumpia surely do count as snacks. My wife loves making them and we do a mashed potato version that is popular too.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Tatoosh .... I don't really think I'll try and change her after all she does save me a bundle ...... when I hear bout some other guys that get treated as a Money-Ko ... buy me this .. buy me that ....... I thank my lucky stars I found her ...... she never asks for anything or complains about stuff (except when I spend to much .... :541: ) besides if I give her "the look" I will get my way ........ guess I'll keep her for another year ...... :angry: ..... only kidding she has a home for life as long as she wants it ..... Hey Art ...... wait till you try them yourself before saying yea or nay ..... all of us have different tastes and what some like others don't ....... would be a dull ol' world if we all liked the same things ...... di ba

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

OK Mike, I will try some KK, but first you must try my favorite snack of dried shredded squid! :541:

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

But ... But ..... Art I thought both you and Jake were squids ...... you guys may be a bit dried but I don't think shredded would apply here ..... :angry: ...... I'll scrounge around and see what I can find :541: ....... but please tell me you won't try and put it on your Krispy Kream donuts ...... but on second thought it might be a big hit in Japan and Korea ...... you could make a mint .... :mocking:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

An excellent snack is peanuts roasted with garlic cloves. At my request, friends would give me several bags to take home, but they won't tell me the source. I have narrowed it down to a convenience store next to a gas station along South Expressway between Magallanes Village and Ayala Alabang. But which one? Supposedly, the manufacturing source is a town farther South. The Philippine garlic is more pungent and crunchy after it turns brown. I tried roasting peanuts with garlic from Gilroy, California, but it is not the same. By the way, Gilroy claims to be the world capital for garlic. During their annual garlic festival, they have a beauty pageant. One of the qualifying requirements for contestants is the ability to chew raw garlic.

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

I hear ya Mike about the wife being the better budget person, she sure is in our family. But I love food and flavor is a very important part of that equation. If someone wants to make a living in the Philippines as a cook, maybe not, but if they get a job overseas, not understanding the importance of flavor means you are stuck in the fast food world with no exit. Someone mentioned jelly beans earlier. My wife fell in love with the Jelly Belly jelly beans when some were included in the packing for cooking gear I bought in the States. We tried some similar beans found at a vendor in the SM mall and were quite disappointed since it was just sugary sweet and no real flavor. So a few days later I am in the mall (Baguio City) again, walking along on a different floor and I see another vendor selling candy. The coloring was more interesting on these, so I bought some. I asked what kind they were. "Jelly Belly, sir." was the answer. I was flabbergasted when I saw they had some in small packages and quite prominently marked Jelly Belly! Tasting them was the ultimate test and ... yes, yes they were ... very good!

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Once again I must be the odd man out.... Ever try a simple soda cracker, dab of butter and a fresh picked basil leaf on top? Try one and be amazed!

• Like 1