Who Can Show Me Around The Mactan Island ?

newexpat
Posted
Posted
Hi mate,I would charge 1000p an hour to show you around which would include the bike, all gas and the benefit of my advice after my many years of life in Cebu.I promise you also that you will not need anything bigger than a 125cc to ride around Mactan in comfort.If interested or would like to discuss further, please email me at Denial of service@gmail.comPaul
i am not interested, you are trying to ... me. Car will costs me P1000 for a day..

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hi mate,I would charge 1000p an hour to show you around which would include the bike, all gas and the benefit of my advice after my many years of life in Cebu.I promise you also that you will not need anything bigger than a 125cc to ride around Mactan in comfort.If interested or would like to discuss further, please email me at Denial of service@gmail.comPaul
i am not interested, you are trying to ... me. Car will costs me P1000 for a day..
Sorry Newexpat, our honorable member Paul (Ancienrocka) doesn't have the heart to ........ you!!!And I'm sure his wife Elsa would not accommodate your wishes in meeting one of her sisters either.Have a nice day -- Jake
  • Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Paul is a good guy and has a long history of all kind of services at a fair price. I'm sure a few hours with him would be very useful and a good value. Frankly I would reconsider.

• Like 3

Curley
Posted
Posted (edited)

No, please don't reconsider, go with your car at 1,000 for the day and get some free info off someone else, leave Paul and his knowledge to some one willing to pay for good value. As far as I'm concerned I'm more than happy to pay for good info.PS I wonder how much you would charge to a stranger wanting the same service in your area?

Edited by Curley
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
It is okay to hire a car for P1,000 and self-drive so long as you are aware the rules in the Philippines are different.1. Any accident and it's your fault. Home team always win.2. Hit a child or an adult and you may pay for the rest of your life. The assumption is you are still alive to make payments. A mob will form and they may tear you apart. Best bet is to surrender to the police in the next town.3. Any damage to the vehicle and the owner will either overcharge for the repairs or demand you buy a new one.My recommendation is to hire a car and driver from a well known rental company like Avis. That will set you back P3,000 to P5,000 per day plus around P750 for the driver. I am surprise someone is willing to rent a car without a driver. Make sure you are not being set up. One dirty trick is to plant drugs in the car. The police stops and does a search. You have a lot of explaining to do. Of course, a significant donation may get you out of trouble.Paul's offer of P1,000 an hour is very reasonable. Mactan is not large. You can probably do the entire island within three hours.By the way, you will need an international driver's license for the Philippines. I obtained one from AAA last year because my intent was to drive. Forum members warned me not to do it. Luckily I followed their advise. The SUV and driver I hired got into a minor fender bender with another car. Passengers from both vehicles got into a heated argument while waiting for the police. I said, "Goodbye." and hailed a taxi to take me to my hotel. I thought it would be more prudent not to have my name in some police report. Both car owners may end up blaming the "rich" American for the accident. Edited by JJR
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I do hope you check in after you have completed your trip and admit what it really cost you for a guide and transportation. I am also curious if you can post the contact info for the 1,000 per day car. I may be interested when I am in Cebu. I only know of motorcycles for rent at 500 to 1000 per day.As to Paul charging an incorrect amount, I will tell you that he hired me and my vehicle for an hour (about 2 years ago now) and paid me 800 for my time, gas and vehicle at that time. So his price is not only reasonable, its what he would expect to pay himself.
  • Like 3

andre007
Posted
Posted
By the way, you will need an international driver's license for the Philippines. I obtained one from AAA last year because my intent was to drive. Forum members warned me not to do it. Luckily I followed their advise. The SUV and driver I hired got into a minor fender bender with another car. Passengers from both vehicles got into a heated argument while waiting for the police. I said, "Goodbye." and hailed a taxi to take me to my hotel. I thought it would be more prudent not to have my name in some police report. Both car owners may end up blaming the "rich" American for the accident.
With all due respect: When a foreigner wants to drive a car or motorcycle in the Philippines, a drivers license is needed. This can be the original (foreign) drivers license in the first 90 days of his or her stay in the Philippines.An Expat in the Philippines, who mostly lives here permanently has to take care for a Filipino Drivers License before the 90th day of his / her stay, because foreign drivers licenses are not accepted after the 90st day of arrival in the Philippines.
  • Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
With all due respect: When a foreigner wants to drive a car or motorcycle in the Philippines, a drivers license is needed. This can be the original (foreign) drivers license in the first 90 days of his or her stay in the Philippines.
I was informed by Avis that you need both your home country driver's license and an international driver's license to rent a car in the Philippines. If stopped by the police, they will ask for both documents. I also read in blogs that most local rental companies would not rent a car unless you also hired their driver. Am I mistaken?
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I was informed by Avis that you need both your home country driver's license and an international driver's license to rent a car in the Philippines. If stopped by the police, they will ask for both documents. I also read in blogs that most local rental companies would not rent a car unless you also hired their driver. Am I mistaken?
You are mistaken where Cebu is concerned. Perhaps even all of Philippines. The only time the police here require an International Drivers License is when the home license is in a language other than English.
  • Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will probably offend, but I find 1000 an hour toward the high side. Not screwing a newbie high, just on the farther end of the spectrum. I'd guess that it would cost 500 pesos an hour for an informed, English fluent native guide who provides transportation. Heck, I've paid 500 pesos to 1000 peso an hour for expert Filipino advice before, so I don't suppose that an expat should be expected to work cheaper. That is the hard part of not knowing your way around and if you are getting a real price or taken for a ride. I doubt that you'll get taken for a ride here, since it is a public offer and would be commented upon if other members saw it that way.newexpat, my wife has two sisters, but sadly, they are neither as smart nor pretty as her. Well, the 10 year old shows promise on both accounts, but she's still a ways from "kano" hunting. There is a 16 year old "mas maldita" sister, who would love to have a foreign suitor, but the mama says NO, not until she finishes college.Note: I thought all you needed to drive was access to a car and a Mactan driving permit which resembles a 500 peso Filipino bank note.

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 1