Who Can Show Me Around The Mactan Island ?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Yes. Both andre007 and Dave Houndriver are correct. I re-checked the Avis Philippines website. Below is their information. I was mistaken in interpreting their "FOREIGN RENTER" requirements. IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTLOCAL RENTER - valid driver's license and two (2) Identification Card with picture.FOREIGN RENTER - valid driver's license / International Driving Permit (IDP), Passport & any Identification Card with picture.DRIVER'S LICENSERenter must possess a valid driver’s license which must have been held for at least two (2) years. A foreign driver’s license is valid for a maximum of 90 days from the date of arrival in the Philippines. An international driving permit (IDP) will be required of a renter holding a non - English license.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I will probably offend, but I find 1000 an hour toward the high side. Not screwing a newbie high, just on the farther end of the spectrum. I'd guess that it would cost 500 pesos an hour for an informed, English fluent native guide who provides transportation. Heck, I've paid 500 pesos to 1000 peso an hour for expert Filipino advice before, so I don't suppose that an expat should be expected to work cheaper. That is the hard part of not knowing your way around and if you are getting a real price or taken for a ride. I doubt that you'll get taken for a ride here, since it is a public offer and would be commented upon if other members saw it that way.
I would also guess that such a person may be found. But I don't see one advertising. If you, or anyone, has contact info for someone with better knowledge and a better offer than the ancient one then please post it. It would be welcome info. It has been my experience that boots on the ground and local contacts are needed to get that kind of deal. Although I agree 1,000 pesos is on the 'higher than average' side, the locals who know about advertising often charge more and you really don't know what their agenda is. Are they really trying to help? If quality of information is not too important then the member could hire a local taxi driver for 3 or 4 hours for 1K pesos and cross his fingers that the info he is getting is valid.
  • Like 2

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dave, you are right. I have done a bit of both in terms of house hunting in the Philippines. Hired a taxi driver and wandered around. Also got a local friend of my wife (then brand new girlfriend) to help find a place. The results were variable to say the least. One customs official wanted 30k for a 10k or 15k smallish house, there was 50k a month house that was B E A U T! I couldn't afford it but I sure enjoyed looking through the place. Word of mouth, making friends and acquaintances, checking the classifieds in the local paper (with my wife doing the talking) and so on works for me, but that is boots on the ground approach. If I left Baguio City (unlikely) for Cebu, I'd rent a room at a pension house for the month and take my time. Meet other expats and Filipinos and decide what "good" and "bad" are based on my expectations. Those are very "non-specific" terms that make a lot of sense to the person that uses them but can mean something totally different to the person hearing them.Sadly, I cannot offer any alternative (other than the one above) and taking the 1000 an hour offer seems like a good choice if a qualified, honest, English fluent guide is necessary immediately.

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
One customs official wanted 30k for a 10k or 15k smallish house
If you are new to the Philippines, a P1000 per hour consultant's fee for expert advice is reasonable. My recollection is the original offer also included transportation (motorcycle and gas).
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I will not comment on the prices someone else may charge but renting a taxi (of course with the driver) costs 2000p per day plus lunch ..... (500p extra if you want to include Tops in your tour) ..... this includes a tour of Cebu City and probably Mactan only no out laying areas ...... another good choice would be to contact Danny Noy ..... he has a van like taxi and is very fluent in English if you only want to traverse Mactan it may not take a whole day and maybe cheaper ...... sorry I don't have his number right now as Big Jim said it was changed ..... if you do a search on here I'm sure you can find it ..... IMHO

newexpat
Posted
Posted
I will not be paying rent right away but can get a contact for owners and give reservation deposit . Just to make clear, i am not looking for a real estate agent. I have found plenty of them on SULIT and Cebu classified, I already have a map of Mactan with places of interest and just need someone with good knowledge of Mactan to tell me what are the bad areas etc.
I don't think I would be giving a deposit for something a few months in advance and I doubt if anyone would hold anything for you. Best to look around, get an idea then stay in a hotel a week or two when you move permanently and look again as something better may have come up.My opinion only :dance:
Great advice, thanks
  • Like 1

newexpat
Posted
Posted
No, please don't reconsider, go with your car at 1,000 for the day and get some free info off someone else, leave Paul and his knowledge to some one willing to pay for good value. As far as I'm concerned I'm more than happy to pay for good info.PS I wonder how much you would charge to a stranger wanting the same service in your area?
I would gladly give my best advice for free if i like the guy.

Curley
Posted
Posted
No, please don't reconsider, go with your car at 1,000 for the day and get some free info off someone else, leave Paul and his knowledge to some one willing to pay for good value. As far as I'm concerned I'm more than happy to pay for good info.PS I wonder how much you would charge to a stranger wanting the same service in your area?
And provide free transport and fuel?

newexpat
Posted
Posted
Of course.

Curley
Posted
Posted
Of course.
Next time I'm in Subic I'll keep you to that. Thanks a lot :mocking: :dance: