Is It Really More Fun In The Philippines?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
http://ph.news.yahoo...-085008622.htmlManila (Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN) - "The biggest reason for our low numbers (of tourist arrivals)," said Philippine tourism secretary Ramon Jimenez at last Tuesday's media talk, "is not our infrastructure, crime, negative reports in the media, or even the cost of flying into the Philippines." The biggest reason for why tourists are staying away, he said, "is ignorance." :thumbsup:"They just haven't heard of the Philippines," Jimenez declared, adding that he was confident that once word got around about how much more fun it is in the Philippines, foreign tourists would start arriving in droves.He said that in 2011, some 3.9 million tourists (those bearing foreign passports) visited the country-an improvement over previous years, but still a far cry from our neighbors. The current up-and-coming destination in Southeast Asia is Vietnam, which already counts more than five million visitors a year. Still, Jimenez is very confident that he and the Department of Tourism would meet the stated target of 10 million tourists by the end of 2016.Asked if there has been an uptick in tourist arrivals since the launch of the new tourism slogan, Jimenez said it was too early to tell but that the DOT had already felt "an uptick in interest." One indication may be the fact that "[the governments of] Singapore and Malaysia have already approached us for collaboration and cooperation." Maybe they see the Philippines as the next "it" destination in the area and hope to cash in on it, but Jimenez said to him their interest showed "a helluva lot of business savvy on their part.""It's still early days," Jimenez said of his stint in tourism promotion and development. But much will depend "on how we move in the next few months." So watch him we will, counting not just the numbers of tourist arrivals but also the change in the overall image of the Philippines in the minds and hearts of the world.Overseeing the creation and promotion of the Philippine "brand" is David Guerrero, chair and chief creative officer of BBDO Guerrero which won the bid (over seven other agencies) for the new tourism slogan. You'd have to be living under a rock, or away from media and social media and all its permutations, not to know that slogan is "It's more fun in the Philippines."Soon after the slogan was launched (the day after, in fact), Guerrero was contacted by media who said someone had discovered the same slogan used to promote Switzerland in 1951. Guerrero, who speaks in a charming English accent (he grew up in Britain, where his father, the distinguished writer and diplomat Leon Ma. Guerrero, served as ambassador), smiles and shrugs at the awful timing of the disclosure. They did conduct a "thorough search of all the sites and search engines," but there is no accounting for coincidences. "I wasn't even born when the slogan was used," he says.Despite the brief dust-up, Guerrero says the fuss has largely died down, and while there were initially negative reactions and even sardonic takes on the campaign, by now most have embraced the slogan."Filipinos are a fun people," Guerrero says by way of explaining the basic thinking underlying the campaign. He notes that while other countries may boast of much the same scenic destinations, beaches, fiestas and even food, they don't have the same quirky mix of religiosity, Western culture overlaid over an Eastern soul, friendliness, humour, openness and hospitality that Filipinos embody.And while the agency has prepared a few materials and a short, rough audiovisual demo before the campaign is officially launched, "It's more fun..." has already taken off on its own. Filipinos around the world have taken the slogan and run with it, creating their own posters and images, using contrasting and ironic words and images to highlight how "fun" it is in the Philippines.So far, says Guerrero, "It's more fun..." has led trending topics in Twitter, and given rise to numerous memes and its own pages on FB. And the most remarkable thing, he adds, is that the DOT has spent exactly "zero centavos in paid-for media" to promote the campaign.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
The biggest reason for why tourists are staying away, he said, "is ignorance
Yes it is. But its not the tourists who are ignorant.
  • Like 5

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
The biggest reason for why tourists are staying away, he said, "is ignorance
Yes it is. But its not the tourists who are ignorant.
Yeah, not a good way to start an article, when their intentions are trying to entice tourist into the Philippines! :thumbsup:
  • Like 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I myself feel the biggest hold back of tourists here is that the RP is well known for it's corruption. I believe 5th or 6th most corrupt in the world. Yes, NoyNoy is cutting into it but it will take years to get rid of it since it took years to get to this point. JMHO. YMMV.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Cebu as a travel destination was not promoted by the Department of Tourism under the Marcos administration because of political reasons. Sergie and Tommy Osmena were held in prison along with other prominent opposition politicians from Cebu. The two brothers eventually escaped prison and were give political refugee status by the US government. They returned home after the Marcoses were ousted.My wife is Japanese American and she speaks, reads and writes Nihongo. She noticed subway banners advertising Cebu as a nice place to visit. The curious part is there was no mention of the Philippines. She started asking other subway passengers, "Where is Cebu?" No one knew, but everyone agreed it looked like a nice place to visit. The advertising campaign, paid by donations from the Cebu business community, was very successful. At the time, there were only two airlines offering direct flights from Japan to Mactan International Airport. They were filled with Japanese visitors. This new tourism campaign and previous ones keep promoting the Philippines, which has a negative image. A more effective campaign is to promote destinations like Baguio, Boracay, Palawan, and Cebu. The new slogan is a clever use of words, but it would be more effective if they eliminate "Philippines."

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Well, Philippines advertises nurses and caregivers to the world. oh yes a few beaches in Palawan and that's about it.Their infrastracture on tourism that they want to have, simply does not exist.Corruption of the country has nothing to do with the tourism. Everyone goes to Carribean, they are worst corrupted!!!!Crime? Philippines is safer than most peoples own cities!!!An example came now to my mind, i was skyping yesterday with an old schoolmate of mine. she has not travelled much if any and she only knows about the world from the tv.i invited her to come over for vacation. she replied that all she knows about Philippines is that it is a poor country with nothing, she wonders how i stay here and she said other than you i have no other reason to step my foot there so why don't we arrange to meet in Thailand so we can all enjoy with our families.For sure she is not the only one thinking as such.Now this "is more fun in Philippines" is another wasted idea same as the "wow philippines" sometime ago, (the ones stayed here long you should remember it) and all i see is that the goverment is hidding behind their finger for their lost opportnity in tourism, who cares for it? why should they bother? they make fortunes in their pockets with their current "businesses" so why bother. Ok brag a bit and do something so to cover the eyes of the public!!!!One more thing. Today my 7 years old son came home from school and started his project, to make a computerized drawing for something that could be described "it's more fun in Philippines" i was feeling the irony in my heart, i just told him to draw the president and politicians face and write is more fun in Philippines. he was confused, wife took over, i went to bed.

• Like 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Corruption of the country has nothing to do with the tourism. Everyone goes to Carribean, they are worst corrupted!!!! Crime? Philippines is safer than most peoples own cities!!!
The problem is perception and there is not enough tourism money to overcome the negative image for the Philippines. The United States is the only major country in the world without a government national tourism board. It would be difficult to promote the country as a destination because of both positive and negative political imagery. Instead, each state spends money promoting their tourism products. My state of Hawaii has a "de facto" population of 144,000. That's the average number of visitors at any given time. How we protect tourists and Hawaii's positive image is the stuff of legends. We have our share of thieves and scoundrels, but most residents are involved in providing random acts of kindness. I walk in Waikiki three times a week while my wife is at her Yoga class. I volunteer to take a photograph for anyone who is taking a picture of a view (the individual would then be part of the view) or couples (for souvenier pictures of the two traveling together). A female friend wanted a picture of herself with the sunset on Roxas Blvd. She handed the camera to a Filipino, who promotely took off. Do you know how many times she has repeated the same story to me? Can you imagine how many times she has told the story to others?
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

(quote from jjr)A female friend wanted a picture of herself with the sunset on Roxas Blvd. She handed the camera to a Filipino, who promotely took off. Do you know how many times she has repeated the same story to me? Can you imagine how many times she has told the story to others?see this means its more Fun in the Philippines,(quote from art2ro)"The biggest reason for our low numbers (of tourist arrivals)," said Philippine tourism secretary Ramon Jimenez at last Tuesday's media talk, "is not our infrastructure, crime, negative reports in the media, or even the cost of flying into the Philippines." The biggest reason for why tourists are staying away, he said, "is ignorance." :dance: :89:IGNORANCE he says?perhaps that's why others are visiting Hong Kong,Thailand,Vietnam,Singapore :mocking: , :thumbsup: , :hystery: , :hystery: , :hystery: , :hystery:I am Laughing, So hard ,that when I used the CR a weeks worth of movement was deposited on my new tourism adverts

Edited by Call me Bubba

billten
Posted
Posted

IMO the Philippines suffers from 'short term thinking' when it comes to the tourist trade. Offer the bare minimum and charge the absolute maximum is standard fare here for the tourist dollar. They assume that the tourist WILL NOT BE BACK so rape him for the max you can this one time. They bla bla bla about how wonderful their beaches are and how wonderful the friendly people are; but honestly, have they really been to Ko Samui or Pipi or one of the REAL international top grade resort destinations. There is no comparison. Public beaches being groomed every morning, wonderful food selections, quality infrastructure, etc. etc. etc.Until the Philippine government AND the Philippine people decide to think long term and try to get tourist to actually come back, this place will never compete for the high end 'exotic destination' tourist dollar.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am Laughing, So hard ,that when I used the CR a weeks worth of movement was deposited on my new tourism adverts
Now thats funny! See. Even having a bowel movement is more fun in Philippines :mocking:
  • Like 3