Beware Of Citi-Hardware

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had a not so good experience today at the Citi Hardware store on Araneta St, Bacolod. On Jan 25th, I purchased a number of items, one being a 10M garden hose complete with multi output spiket costing P495.00 . Well 3 days ago, the handle of the spiket broke (Cheap plastic of course). So today, I brought the unit back with the receipt showing my DOP and also showing 90 days return with warranty terms on mechanical items. The girl called the manager on duty to show him what I had. He said to me, "Sorry sir. No warranty! I said excuse me? This receipt says 90 days. It's only been a month and a half. He said to me that the 90 days is for return of salable items only. No defective items allowed. I said you mean to tell me that you will not warranty any item that I purchase here and if the new item breaks 10 minutes after I walk out that door too bad? He said yes, correct. I said that was a horrible way to do business and I and many will not do business here again. The look he gave me was utterly blank! It didn't even faze him in the slightest. It was like he didn't see a disatisfied customer but rather just an arrogent foreigner. He utterly did not care. What blew my mind even further was when I got back to the car, Myrlita could not understand why I was angry & frustrated. She acted like that is normal procedure for doing business and should not question it. It's like they do this so often that no one complains or even thinks about it. The total complacency of this culture makes me want to just go bang my head against the wall. I did end up buying another spiket at another store that was made of metal and not plastic so if there's no warranty at least it will be more durable and have some chance of lasting more than a month and a half. I just want to warn other expats of this so you at least know what to expect. Thank you....

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 4

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

i think it was bad judgement on his part, i do business with citi hardware in davao and have had very good service, i bought a cut off saw there and it quit about a month later, took it back no problem they replaced it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted
i think it was bad judgement on his part, i do business with citi hardware in davao and have had very good service, i bought a cut off saw there and it quit about a month later, took it back no problem they replaced it.
In your honest opinion, you feel that only Bacolod City will not warranty their products? Can anyone else testify about the store in their area? Makes me wonder if the Citi Hardwares are like the banks. Each store with their own rules.
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
In your honest opinion, you feel that only Bacolod City will not warranty their products? Can anyone else testify about the store in their area? Makes me wonder if the City Hardwares are like the banks. Each store with their own rules.
Well Steve, You have surprised me here, I am building now and I am Using City Hardware in Dumaguete, every day almost. I can only presume, you got a Duty Manager having a bad day or As Okieboy has suggested, each store has it's own Rules. To date. I have had little or No problem with them. Sorry to hear of this Situation. On the other hand, he that shouts loudest, gets heard :tiphat: Up the Volume maybe :) or maybe, ring another store to see what their warrent rules are, it may suprise you.Jack P. :hystery:
  • Like 1

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

I do not know citi hardware, i do not recall seeing any at manila.I always use ace hardware, Handyman and Wilcon. no complains at all. On given situtations as such i was calling the manager and if he could not resolve my issue i was asking a contact at their head office. My issue was always getting resolved.Issues such as buing granite floor tiles of 240.000p worth, take them home, and upon installation finding out 1/3 of the tiles were different shade colors than the others, the boxes had the same numbers. I took them out together with the grout/cement under them and took them to the shop (Handyman in this case) i unloaded them all inside their shop calling the manager to see it, all customers gathered around me too. I got my proper tiles 3 days after since they did not have them in stock, they apologized, i sympathised them since was not their fault, boxes had the same numbers and you could hardly tell the difference on the color if you had not lay them besides the original ones.No problem at all.yes i bought a hair trimmer batteries operating thing, it never worked. I did not bother taking it back or making a fuss for 250p...

• Like 2

scianna54
Posted
Posted

Looking at the description of what happened, I'd say this could also happen in Canada. It depends on the item and the store and the cause of failure. I probably wouldn't even bother to return it. Most places have a 7 day return policy and warranty after that. In your case, the 90 days don't really apply I think, so I agree with the store. Some stores would probably still replace it depending on the internal store policy.

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Sorry Steve I have used Citi- Hardware here in Cebu but never had to return anything yet ....... but if this makes you feel any better I bought a Jigsaw from Belmont one of the better tool suppliers here in Cebu ..... and in less than 2 months the plunger began to wobble and wouldn't even stay on the ballbearing guide ...... (yes it was not a cheap one ... it had laser site guide ... variable speeds .... tilt base etc.) .... anyway as it was still under the 90 day warranty I took it back ..... now as it was a new model they didn't have the repair parts manual (oh did I mention that 80% of all warranty items that require repairs are sent here ... in the Cebu area) and they had to send to Manila for a listing for parts and service manual ..... first off I made sure it would be repaired in this store and not get shipped to Manila to disappear into the vast array of tools lost in the black hole of Manila ..... they assured me it would ...... then I get a call (before they repaired it) that this part wasn't covered under the warranty ...... only the motor was covered :tiphat: ..... now I will agree in the US almost ALL moving parts are included in the warranty ..... but not here ..... my fault .... when I glanced at the warranty I ASSUMED it would cover all the parts :tiphat: ...... anyway they fixed the problem and parts and labor was less than 1000p so I was happy :hystery: ..... but not as happy as I would have been at Walmart or Sears ...... could have just returned it no questions asked ...... but as Dorothy said "you ain't in Kansas anymore Toto"...... :) :hystery:

• Like 3

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
"you ain't in Kansas anymore Toto
However the DTI does have some .yet limited consumer "rights" . I was lucky a few years ago to obtain a "pamphlet"regarding such rights.When I have made important purchases or have had to "RETURN" a faulty item, I have that handbook very Visible,, . has it helped by simply displaying it.. OH LORD has it. when I have had to "show" the rights or particular rule regarding my situation It helped much more.. TO me was just like "raising" one voice or screaming at the top of ones lungs but only with the "RULES" being displayed ,OH LORD (oh i have repeated it now 2x in one post)when They see the "DTI"consumer pamphlet , :565: :chickendance: the song and dance routine suddenly changes . Carefully :chickendance: :565:I urge all members to know what the rights&rules are. BY knowing what rights altho limited we can keep our "cool" and be in charge than be taking advantage ofCarefully review the "Rights" and rules that we the consumer has, If your able to print it,Please do so. make a COPY and CARRY it with you. (not to be a wise asre but to protect what limited consumer rights we have)Listed below is what some of the rights are, I have displayed some . as some members may have difficulty in accessing the DTI sitehttp://www.dti.gov.p.../index.php?p=68Warranty TipsAvail of the remedies for your product covered by warranty.Here are the tips to keep the warranty valid/applicable:
  • Keep the warranty card together with the receipt. Make sure that the information indicated is well-understood.
  • Be aware of the terms and conditions of warranty contract.
  • Check whether the replacement part used is genuine and not defective.
  • Use the product based on its purpose (for the intention it is made for).
  • Contact the authorized dealer/service repair for any clarification.
  • Ensure that you have fully identified the company’s background, image, and its credibility before having any transaction.

Be aware of your consumer rights and responsibilities. Frequently Asked Questions Product Warranty 1. What is the primary law governing all contract of sales with conditions and warranties? The provisions of the New Civil Code on conditions and warranties shall govern all contracts of sales with conditions and warranties. 2. What are the responsibilities of a seller / vendor under the New Civil Code in cases of express warranties? Under Article 1561, a vendor or a seller has the responsibility to ensure that the items he or she sells has no hidden defects. 3. What kind of defects of the item sold shall make the vendor or seller liable? If the defects should render the item sold totally unfit for the use for which it is intended, the seller or the vendor shall be liable for such defects. Second, if the defect should diminish or decrease its fitness or its use to the extent that if the buyer was aware of such defect he would not have bought the product or would have demanded a lower price for it. 4. What are the instances where a vendor or seller may not be held liable in case of defects? A vendor or seller may not be held liable in cases of patent defects pr those which are clearly visible upon inspection of the product bought. In case the defects are not visible, and the buyer is an expert, who by reason of his trade or profession should have known the defects, then the vendor or seller may not be held liable. 5. What are the responsibilities of the seller or vendor as to the quality or fitness of the product sold in case there is no express warranty given to him? The seller or vendor is liable to the buyer in an implied warranty, if such buyer make known to the seller expressly or impliedly, the particular purpose for which the goods are acquired. The vendor, by implication, warrants the general fitness or quality of the product sold to the buyer. Second, the seller or vendor is liable to the buyer if such buyer relies on the seller’s skill or judgment. 6. Aside from the provisions of the New Civil Code, what are other laws that may apply in cases of express warranties? In addition to the New Civil Code provisions on sale with warranties, the provisions of Title III, Chapter III of the Consumer Act of the Philippines shall govern the sale of consumer products with warranty. 7. What are the minimum terms of express warranty under the Consumer Act that shall be given by a seller or manufacturer? The following shall be stated in an express warranty: - the terms of warranty, written in clear and readily understandable language; - the warrantor’s identity; - the party’s identity to whom the warranty is extended; - the products or parts covered; - the warrantor’s action plan in the event of a defect, malfunction or failure to conform to the written warranty; - the directive to the consumer to avail of the right which accrue to the warranty; - the period within which, after notice of defect, malfunction, or failure to conform to the warranty, the warrantor will perform any obligation under the warranty. 8. What is the difference between a Full warranty and Limited warranty (express) There is Full Warranty if the warranty conforms with the minimum standards for warranties. To conform with the requirements, the following should be found in a full warranty: First, there should be a remedy or relief offered to a consumer within the reasonable time and without charge in case of defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with such written warranty. Second, the warranty should give the consumer an option to either ask for a refund or replacement without charge of such product or part, as the case may be, where after reasonable number of attempts to remedy the defect or malfunction, the product continues to have the defect or to malfunction. A Limited Warranty, on the other hand, is when the written warranty does not meet the abovementioned minimum requirements. 9. When shall the retailer be subsidiarily liable under the express warranty? The retailer may be subsidiarily held liable attaches in the following instance: - In case where both the manufacturer and the distributor failed to honor the warranty the retailer shoulder the expenses and costs necessary to honor the warranty but the retailer is not prevented from pursuing actions against the distributor and manufacturer. 10. What are the documents to be presented to the seller or vendor in case the consumer opts to have the defective product repaired, replaced, or refunded under an express warranty? - The consumer should present a copy of the warranty card or documents and the official receipt of the product sold or bought. 11. What is the minimum duration or period of an express or implied warranty? The duration of a warranty shall be reckoned with the following circumstances: - If there is a stipulation of the period agreed between the seller and the consumer within which the express warranty shall be enforceable; - If the implied warranty on merchantability accompanies an express warranty, both will be of equal duration; - Any other implied warranty: not less than 60 days nor more than one year following the sale of a new consumer product. 12. What are the options given to a consumer in case of a breach of an express warranty? First, the consumer can have the goods repaired. Warranty work must be made within 30 days. Such period may be extended by conditions beyond the control of the warrantor or his representatives. Second, the product or its parts may be replaced. Third, the consumer may ask for a refund from the warrantor. The amount directly attributable to the use of consumer prior to the discovery of the non-conformity shall be deducted. 13. What are the options given to a consumer in case of a breach of an implied warranty? The consumer may retain the goods and recover damages, or reject the goods, cancel the contract, and refund the amount paid for the product, including damages. 14. Are secondhand consumer products covered by a warranty? Generally, there is no implied warranty in the sale of secondhand articles, except when the goods are sold as to raise an implied warranty, i.e. if such buyer makes known to the seller, the particular purpose for which the goods are acquired. Doing so warrants the general fitness or quality of the product sold to the buyer. Second, the seller or vendor is also liable under a warranty in the sale of secondhand products if the seller has given an express written warranty. 15. What is the jurisdiction of the DTI in the sale of secondhand consumer products? DTI takes jurisdiction of complaints regarding secondhand products if such secondhand / surplus products are sold by persons engaged in the business of selling products and they have, in effect, power to enforce the warranty provided for such products. On the other hand, the complaint shall be filed with the appropriate regular courts if the person who sold the secondhand product is not engaged in the business of selling products, commodities, merchandise, and goods.

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

I have been buying stuff for years knowing you can't return it.That is why you get it tested before you leave the store,Regards: Jim

• Like 3