30 Day Visa Back On The Books

earthdome
Posted
Posted
It sounds great but I can find nothing new on the mainstream media. BI website still does not show any news about it.The 6 month free retirement visa sounds too good to be true.
Sure would be nice to have more details.Such as what are the requirements to obtain the six month retirement visa. Just age? If so, what age?Since I am still single I was dreading going through the whole tourist visa merry go round after I move and didn't want to jump into the SRRV program until I have spent enough time in the Philippines to be sure of my decision to stay.This retirement visa could make my life much easier when I make the move.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)
Well seems its all systems go now.Mar 30, 2012MANILA, Philippines - Tourists from 166 countries can now avail of the expanded 30-day free visa upon arrival and six months for retirees as part of the government efforts to prove "It is more fun in the Philippines".Tourism Secretary Ramon R. Jimenez said this in a speech before the General Membership Meeting of the Makati Business Club that the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Bureau of Immigration have issued circular to extend the free visa upon arrival to 166 countries to 30 days from 21 days and for retirees to enjoy 6 month free visa upon arrival.The rest of the story.http://www.eturbonew...0-day-free-visa
My favorite part of the artical is this:To address the issue of public toilets, Jimenez said that instead of government investing in public toilets it will tap the safe and clean facilities of private establishments to open their comfort rooms to tourists.He noted there are 500 McDonald restaurant outlets in the country, 800 Jollibee stores, over a thousand branches of the Bank of the Philippine Islands, and a thousand convenience stores nationwide.I can smell it now - stench coming off the outside wall at these fine food establishments... "What? You mean we were suppose to go inside?" :cheersty:(just wanted to add - you may think I'm being a little ridiculous but nothing surprises me anymore... If you look for the most ridiculous thing that you can think of? Sure enough it is going to happen!) Edited by i am bob

MikeB
Posted
Posted
To address the issue of public toilets, Jimenez said that instead of government investing in public toilets it will tap the safe and clean facilities of private establishments to open their comfort rooms to tourists. He noted there are 500 McDonald restaurant outlets in the country, 800 Jollibee stores, over a thousand branches of the Bank of the Philippine Islands, and a thousand convenience stores nationwide.
I can't help but wonder how and why the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) was singled out and volunteered "to open their comfort rooms to tourists". Should be an interesting board meeting on Monday.

wingmanPI
Posted
Posted

nice to hear the news. hopefully this will stay in place for awhile

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I think this sounds great ...... been wanting or should say thinking of moving to Negros anyway ..... first I gotta find a bank with NO public toilets ..... can you just imagine a bus load of Koreans pulling up to your bank (which only has 1 toilet) and piling out to use the pot ...... OH ... I just can't wait .... uTube is gonna be swamped with more footage of these new movie opportunities than ever before ...... "because it is more fun in the Philippines" ......I can think of dozens of ways this is gonna create havoc ....... but just gonna let it slide ..... let all those that are gonna make money off this either legally or other wise (the Pilipino people sure won't) prevail ...... I'll be growing veggies and raising chickens ...... cause all these hungry foreigners gotta have something to eat ...... :cheers: :hystery: :hystery: ....... come on big blue ...... blue hairs that is ..... (if you have ever lived in Florida you will get the joke)

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
To address the issue of public toilets, Jimenez said that instead of government investing in public toilets it will tap the safe and clean facilities of private establishments to open their comfort rooms to tourists. He noted there are 500 McDonald restaurant outlets in the country, 800 Jollibee stores, over a thousand branches of the Bank of the Philippine Islands, and a thousand convenience stores nationwide.
I can't help but wonder how and why the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) was singled out and volunteered "to open their comfort rooms to tourists". Should be an interesting board meeting on Monday.
I wonder how they are going to differentiate tourist from locals? For example, me being a Filipino, I wouldconsider myself a tourist as I traveled around the different island groups. Would I have to produce somedocuments like US dollars in order to use their facilities? Who will be the CR attendant? A Jollibee guardwith an itchy finger on the trigger? Geeze -- I would be laying down some stink bombs while standing in that long line. Go ahead, whack my pee-pee -- Jake
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
10 million foreign visitors by 2016
tap the safe and clean facilities of private establishments to open their comfort rooms to tourists.
This will be a good business for someone. Not providing toilets but providing signs like:1662-funny-metal-sign-toilet-out-of-order--580-p.jpg1105981_0280_0260.jpgavatar33992_52.gif
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Ok, I'm still intrigued by the toilet issue...but has anyone been able to find anything definitive on the 6 month free visa? I've been looking but can't find anything at all!

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Ok, I'm still intrigued by the toilet issue...but has anyone been able to find anything definitive on the 6 month free visa?I've been looking but can't find anything at all!
Well its stated on the government website but nothing seems to be updated on any other government websites.That circular, both from the DFA and the Bureau of Immigration, has finally been sent to all offices around the world. So the standard visa-free for 166 countries is 30 days. We have also gotten the DFA to issue a circular that retirees, those who are speculating on retiring in the Philippines, automatically get 6 months visa visiting the Philippines.http://www.gov.ph/20...-march-29-2012/

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
but has anyone been able to find anything definitive on the 6 month free visa? I've been looking but can't find anything at all!
The Asean countries are discussing standardizing their visa and visa waiver programs. This is the reason why the Philippines is changing from 21 to 30 days. Thailand also offers a six months visa through their embassies and consulates. The fee is $80. American retirees can apply for a one year visa for $80, provided they have documents showing a minimum monthly pension and the amount of their Social Security benefits. If you are not yet of retirement age, the one year visa fee is $200. I think the Philippines six months visa with fee or as a fee waiver program came from the on-going discussions. There is nothing definitive at this time..