More On My Globe Adventure

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well Bob ... I have 2 wires coming in ... a black and a white one ..... these go into a devise called a Prolink DSL splitter .... from which my router connection goes one way and my telephone wire goes the other ..... interesting concept on the noise on the line and possibly a loose connection ..... but I did find out that when it changes my IP address it will kick off my Magic Jack and my Veetle movie stream ..... the movie last night would crash evertime the IP changed and this morning my asawa was calling he brother in Canada on the MJ and it disconnected her each time the IP changed ..... and how do I know this .... well I found this neat program called IP Watcher and it will record each time your IP changes .... it keeps a log as well as sends you an email and can send you the info to your cell phone ..... it is not free but shareware and only cost $9 ..... I am using the 15 day trial version for now but I may buy the full version after I see how it holds up .... right now I am tickled to death with it ......Anyway here is the results I've gotten from it so far ..... and just as I am typing this it has added 2 more changes but I can't keep updating them here as they are coming rather rapidly ..... :cheersty: :no:post-11-0-74764500-1333334569_thumb.jpgAnd although I have blanked out the last 3 digits it has never repeated the same IP address yet ..... god ... they must have tons of them ..... :mocking:

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It sounds like the Globe modem is resetting or powering off/on. That will cause the public IP address to change. Check the lights on the modem. When I turn mine off and on I get a new IP address, either on the 180 or 203 network.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK here are the final IP address changes .... it should be noted that from 9:20pm to 8:50am the computer was on but I was not using it .... as MikeB said the changing of the IP should not effect the loss of signal ..... so my only conclusion is that a loss of signal is causing the IP address to change ... as I said my asawa was knocked off line twice this morning while calling her brother with the Magic Jack and both times it could be chased back to the times the IP address was changed ..... as I have no way of checking the line continuity I will have to rely on the Globe tech (god help me) ..... anyway here are the last few changes to cover for 24 hours ....post-11-0-27070800-1333352371_thumb.jpgAnyone interested in using this program can find it here ..... http://www.gearboxcomputers.com/products/ip-watcher/buynow/ ....

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Why don't you configure the Linkys with globes settings and use that, or has that been tried before?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Tom if you mean use my Linksys instead of the Globe ..... I can't as my Linksys has no phone jack on it ..... I had to bridge the Globe modem/router as the 2 routers wouldn't talk to each other ...... so in effect the Globe router is turned off and only the modem part is working that is why when I connect the Globe modem/router back directly into my computer I have to set the unit back to factory default settings which means the router is un-bridged or else it will not work and I can even access the IP address to get into the control settings on the unit ...... are you confused ...... I am ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :cheersty:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
Tom if you mean use my Linksys instead of the Globe ..... I can't as my Linksys has no phone jack on it ..... I had to bridge the Globe modem/router as the 2 routers wouldn't talk to each other ...... so in effect the Globe router is turned off and only the modem part is working that is why when I connect the Globe modem/router back directly into my computer I have to set the unit back to factory default settings which means the router is un-bridged or else it will not work and I can even access the IP address to get into the control settings on the unit ...... are you confused ...... I am ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :cheersty:
Confused yepIf it was me I would go down to the shop and buy a modem/router and toss the other two.But I'm sure your in control of whats going on :no:

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hey Mike!I think I found your problem.... But first I need to confirm what the router and DSL router models are...By chance, is your DSL a ProLink H9200? And your LinkSys is the WRT54G2? Let me know cause those are the ones that I used in my testing... And you're gonna kick a lot of our butts once I tell you how to set this up. But first I have to make sure that's what you have so I don't give you any more bad info!I also need you to hook your Globe DSL directly into your computer and tell me if the IP keeps changing still or if it stays the same now. Let it run through what would have been 2 cycles of changes or so before changing back to how you want it connnected.Believe it or not, if I"m correct, the fix will take about 3 to 5 minutes and most of that is waiting time!

Edited by i am bob
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hehe! Just out of curiousity, Mike..I know that Globe only leases their IPs for a short time... A really short time! Your IP will change several times a day! A cure for that is going to cost you about P750 though... Globe will change you from a dynamic IP to a static IP for the amount mentioned. Apparently most of the people who work for Globe think that this is a Business thing only but it is available for home too! Just keep telling the person (if they say no) that they need to talk to somebody higher up to find out. At the same time this will get you out from behind their proxy server and let you access a lot of things that you couldn't before - like your Google accounts, torrents, etc - and your MagicJack shouldn't kick out on you anymore.Another option is to be very upset with them and demand something called a reserved DHCP address - it's really a static address that they will give you while they try to figure out what is wrong - but in this case I believe you are still behind their proxy. And thus will probably still have some issues still.Everybody that I have talked to about this all say they were told that it was a monthly charge by the staff at the store but they were only charged once and that was on the initial change-over so maybe that will be the way to go?

Mike S
Posted
Posted

OK Bob ..... I connected my Globe modem/router directly to my PC and from 8:19am to 5:55pm there was not one disconnect I am using the same IP that I had this morning ..... I did find that when I went into the router to put it back to factory specks that for some unknown reason I could not connect to the net .... so after nosing around for a while I discovered that there was a Globe user name and password that was not mine nor is it the administrative user and password ... I have those ..... I had never seen this before or maybe I just ignored it .... anyway I deleted both and put in my Globe assigned user and password .... and it worked fine .... now the only problem is my asawa can't access the net because the Globe box only has one connection ..... so I need to hook my Linksys back up .... so what were your ideas ..... I plan to switch the routers back tomorrow .... also something strange is my IP Watcher doesn't list the IP's any more ..... the last entry was this morning and in place of the IP address it gives the time and just says this <html>

i am bob
Posted
Posted
OK Bob ..... I connected my Globe modem/router directly to my PC and from 8:19am to 5:55pm there was not one disconnect I am using the same IP that I had this morning ..... I did find that when I went into the router to put it back to factory specks that for some unknown reason I could not connect to the net .... so after nosing around for a while I discovered that there was a Globe user name and password that was not mine nor is it the administrative user and password ... I have those ..... I had never seen this before or maybe I just ignored it .... anyway I deleted both and put in my Globe assigned user and password .... and it worked fine .... now the only problem is my asawa can't access the net because the Globe box only has one connection ..... so I need to hook my Linksys back up .... so what were your ideas ..... I plan to switch the routers back tomorrow .... also something strange is my IP Watcher doesn't list the IP's any more ..... the last entry was this morning and in place of the IP address it gives the time and just says this <html>
Things are sounding good! Complete the following in the order listed (make sure you observe the times too!) and everything should be working fine after!!!
  • Connect your pc directly to your Globe DSL router and that you have an internet connection.
  • Disconnect your pc from the Globe DSL router and connect the LinkSys router to your Globe DSL router. Make sure the connection on the LinkSys router is to the single In port.
  • Make sure that everything is on and has completed all cycling normal for the power-on cycle.
  • Connect your pc to one of the 4 out ports on your LinkSys rounter.
  • Reset the router by taking a paper clip (or something small) and pushing inside the reset hole for at least 30 seconds. You should see the lights flashing on the front when it resets.
  • Now unplug your router power plug for another 30 seconds.
  • Plug it back in and turn it on.
  • Go to your pc, go into the browser and type 192.168.1.1 into the address bar and hit the go button (or just hit enter).
  • Go to the Basic Setup tab.
  • Check that the Internet Connection Type is “Automatic Configuration – DHCP”
  • A few lines down you will see the Router IP (Local IP Address). Make sure it is set to 192.168.2.1
  • Save your settings and then exit your browser.
  • Turn off your pc, then your LinkSys router and then your Globe DSL router.
  • Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the Globe DSL router and wait for it to complete it's cycle.
  • Turn on your LinkSys router and wait for it to complete it's cycle.
  • Turn on your pc

Now your pc should be working, no more changing IPs all the time and you should be able (maybe?) to see your google sites. For some reason, the LinkSys router (if not installed this way) can send out a request for a new IP every so often - and this seems to be only on the Globe setup. Of course, if some dummy hacked into your system, they may be the culprit causing all this too! Make sure your LinkSys is using security and that not just anybody can log in!Most important thing of all? Your asawa will love you forever as she can now get back online!

• Like 1