More On My Globe Adventure

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yea I know you are all glad that this saga has been put to rest and I will quite posting about it ..... come on just admit it ..... well day 2 and my IP is still the same and I can get into Google and the asawa is happy ... so I am happy ..... oh by the way see ..... new thread under "firewall" ....... :) :yes: :hystery:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I think in time you will find that your Globe browsing problem still exists. I can reach all sites now ok, it seems to be dependent on network traffic, although there is still considerable packet loss. In the early morning it's pretty much ok but as traffic increases it gets worse. The route traces demonstrate that the original problem that you (me, and everyone) has is with the routers and switches well downstream from your home equipment.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I think in time you will find that your Globe browsing problem still exists. I can reach all sites now ok, it seems to be dependent on network traffic, although there is still considerable packet loss. In the early morning it's pretty much ok but as traffic increases it gets worse. The route traces demonstrate that the original problem that you (me, and everyone) has is with the routers and switches well downstream from your home equipment.
And I agree as well! But now we know that Mike S has everything is set up properly. If any more issues come up, all he has to do is call Globe and wait for 30 days for them to say "Sorry Sir - Not our problem".
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yea MikeB I agree ... as Bob has solved 90% of my problem it will at least allow me to trouble shoot with out having a ton of problems occurring all at the same time ..... I also found out that if I shout down my Globe router for about 10-12 mins. I can renew my IP address with no problem to the rest of the system and I don't have to go through the step by step procedure again ............ I was starting to have a problem with connecting to some web sites again but after renewing my IP I had no more problems ..... maybe I should do that every now and then .... and my speed is still hitting 1.78 to 2.05 Mbps .... but for some rason my IP Watcher doesn't work now and I uninstalled it and installed it again .... gonna contact the developer and find out why .......MikeB ... someone recommended this VPN program to me ..... http://www.strongvpn.com/ ..... it costs about $57 per year if I remember correctly ...... you also gave me one to use ... have to go back and find it and look it up ..... but I don't really want to have to pay again for something i have paid for in the first place ..... I guess if i was using my computer for business it would be different ....... decisions ..... decisions ...... I guess I am stuck on the horns of a horny lama post-11-0-42011900-1333845283_thumb.jpg .... or is that "horns of a dilemma" .... mocking.gif

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Yea MikeB I agree ... as Bob has solved 90% of my problem it will at least allow me to trouble shoot with out having a ton of problems occurring all at the same time ..... I also found out that if I shout down my Globe router for about 10-12 mins. I can renew my IP address with no problem to the rest of the system and I don't have to go through the step by step procedure again ............ I was starting to have a problem with connecting to some web sites again but after renewing my IP I had no more problems ..... maybe I should do that every now and then .... and my speed is still hitting 178 to 205 Mbps .... but for some rason my IP Watcher doesn't work now and I uninstalled it and installed it again .... gonna contact the developer and find out why .......MikeB ... someone recommended this VPN program to me ..... http://www.strongvpn.com/ ..... it costs about $57 per year if I remember correctly ...... you also gave me one to use ... have to go back and find it and look it up ..... but I don't really want to have to pay again for something i have paid for in the first place ..... I guess if i was using my computer for business it would be different ....... decisions ..... decisions ...... I guess I am stuck on the horns of a horny lama post-11-0-42011900-1333845283_thumb.jpg .... or is that "horns of a dilemma" .... :hystery:
I have seen this vpn on other systems and it does work well. I think the price is still $55 for a year but I could be wrong. Since I use a vpn site that is free for linux geeks, I can't give you a long term review but do you need a vpn that you are paying for? Also - free or pay vpn - your speed is going to be affected by how far you are from the vpn server so plan accordingly!
  • Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
Yea MikeB I agree ... as Bob has solved 90% of my problem it will at least allow me to trouble shoot with out having a ton of problems occurring all at the same time ..... I also found out that if I shout down my Globe router for about 10-12 mins. I can renew my IP address with no problem to the rest of the system and I don't have to go through the step by step procedure again ............ I was starting to have a problem with connecting to some web sites again but after renewing my IP I had no more problems ..... maybe I should do that every now and then .... and my speed is still hitting 178 to 205 Mbps .... but for some rason my IP Watcher doesn't work now and I uninstalled it and installed it again .... gonna contact the developer and find out why .......MikeB ... someone recommended this VPN program to me ..... http://www.strongvpn.com/ ..... it costs about $57 per year if I remember correctly ...... you also gave me one to use ... have to go back and find it and look it up ..... but I don't really want to have to pay again for something i have paid for in the first place ..... I guess if i was using my computer for business it would be different ....... decisions ..... decisions ...... I guess I am stuck on the horns of a horny lama post-11-0-42011900-1333845283_thumb.jpg .... or is that "horns of a dilemma" .... :hystery:
I have seen this vpn on other systems and it does work well. I think the price is still $55 for a year but I could be wrong. Since I use a vpn site that is free for linux geeks, I can't give you a long term review but do you need a vpn that you are paying for? Also - free or pay vpn - your speed is going to be affected by how far you are from the vpn server so plan accordingly!
There is some overhead with a VPN so the speeds are a little slower but I don't find it noticeable and at least I can get to all sites. I use HMA and a server in Dallas and it works ok. Many of the sites, including this one, are US-based anyway. Strong offers different packages depending on your location, for $55 a year you can get a PPTP connection to a US or UK server from the PI, that should work. The "free" ones you pay for by being bombarded with obnoxious adware, if anyone knows of a good free one I would love to hear about it.
  • Like 1