Any Builders Here?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Having decided on the design at long last, it is all systems go very soon, the only thing we are disagreeing on, and this is not to bad just yet, is the Roof. Sheet metal panels as the Norm or Tiles. Has anyone done a build lately, can any one give me some Cost differences and Technical help in deciding what to do. For me it is Tiles. I am no builder and She is local and has her own reasons for a Sheet Roof.Pitfalls, Cost any thoughts and Advice would be nice.The house will be 120sq mtr.Jack P. :)

post-2148-0-49156700-1334000936_thumb.jp

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

I'm no builder but I do know I dont want to live in a house with a sheet metal roof. VERY loud when the rain hits it and VERY hot in the summer.

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

If you insulate the roof space that will keep it cooler and help to reduce the noise. I have not see many tiled roofs here but I would imagine they would be quite a bit more expensive for the cost and installation. Plus you have to remember the high winds we get here which could very easily lift a tile even if it was nailed down. Also how will tile as compared to sheet roofing stand up to the temperature here. You can buy roofsheets that are patterned like tile so maybe that would be a good compromise.Jack make sure that when they put the waste pipes in they also put some access points in for cleaning and unblocking. On the water put in shut off valves at every outlet so as if you have a problem you can isolate that part without shutting the water off to the whole house. Good luck looks a very nice house.Kevin

• Like 2

billten
Posted
Posted

I installed ashfelt (sp?) shingles on my place and i'm very happy. The cost for the roof is almost identical to the tin roof (for the real engineered tin roofing) but you must add the cost of the plywood that the shingles anil down to. Its cool, very quiet and best of all, any decent panday (carpenter) can do the installation after you tell him exactly what to do.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Jack another important thing to consider is the weight tile roofs weight a staggering amount of pounds ........ if you do go with tile tile something else to think about is during an earthquake the added weight to the roof can cause devastating effects as can be seen in Kobe Japan ..... most home dwellings were completely destroyed by having so much weight so high up.and when the building swayed it was exaggerated by the heavy roof and caused total collapse ..... plus think of the dangers of such a roof falling on you ..... I'm sure it will never happen but something to consider ..... s some have mentioned no matter which way you go insulate with as much as you can afford ..... a cool home is a happy home ..... :hystery:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:hystery: Thank you for the answers so far, it has given me food for thought. I am sure that in the Next few weeks we will come to a compromise and do what is best all round.As I said, this is our only stumbling Block so far so I just hope we can resolve it. I have a few weeks to study all angles and advice so here's hoping.Jack P. :hystery:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

So far almost all the pitfalls of each type of roof have been covered...

The tile (though I love it too) is, as Mike said, a major consideration in an earthquake zone. Also they do break easy so flying debris during a storm also has to be considered.

The good old regular asphalt shingles cost more due to the underlay requirement and really are only good for 5 in these hotter climates. Plus you will need spares on hand to replace the ones that blow off during storms...

Tin roofs are noisy and hot. This can be rectified by insulating the heck out of them. If you put the tin on so the bottom is exposed, spray insulate underneath and then (with a slight air gap) put in another insulation. What ever you use, make sure it is fireproof! Still the big problem with Tin Roofs? The look like crap on a nice house!

The answer? Somebody mentioned it above... Get the metal roofing that looks like tiles! It would be perfect for your house!!! And notice I said "metal roofing"? There are new versions out now that last longer and look better -though you will have to find out the prices there on your own!

Hope this helps!!!

• Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted
The good old regular asphalt shingles cost more due to the underlay requirement and really are only good for 5 in these hotter climates

That may be right for some shingles Bob, but i have had mine on for 6 years now and they still look as good as new. Also, they came with a 10 year warranty (try collecting on that though, hahahaha)

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

I have noticed that many of the new homes being built in my area are going with the asphalt shingles. They sure look a lot nicer than the tin roofs. especially when the tin starts to fade and rust.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The good old regular asphalt shingles cost more due to the underlay requirement and really are only good for 5 in these hotter climates

That may be right for some shingles Bob, but i have had mine on for 6 years now and they still look as good as new. Also, they came with a 10 year warranty (try collecting on that though, hahahaha)

Yup! If you read the warranty, it is prorated... Asphalt shingles are not asphalt anymore - they are a paper base usually with a chemical bonding component between layers and then treated for looks... They are made to get wet and then dry out, get wet and dry out, etc - not get wet for a long time or stay wet for many days at a time... This will shorten the life. I met a guy once who owned a factory making shingles like this... Even he could not figure out the true ratings on the shingles - a 10 year shingle usually needed replacing after 7 to 8 years... a 20 year shingle was good for about 12 and a 25 year was about the same though it would look better longer. Apparently the life given is how long it will last before it disintegrates! hehe! Excessive wet or heat will shorten the life accoringly...

When I suggested the "tin roof with the looks of tile" I was actually referring to a metalic roof - often aluminum or steel - that lasts much longer than tin and keeps it's appearance well! I know one chap who has an aluminum roof with the tile look and it still looks like new. I asked him how he does it and he told me that he pressure washes it from a ladder every spring (this is Canada) and then puts a coat of car polish that is applied with your wash water - just sprays it on after mixing it down and lets it dry. Too easy!

• Like 3