Any Builders Here?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Is there any such critter comparable to a cedar shingle in the Philippines? If maintained, they last for years! I once replaced a cedar shingle roof that was over 100 years old - and it would have lasted longer if the last owner of the house had looked after it properly!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

:thumbsup: thank you all for the replies and Why and What Fors! We have plenty to think about and hopefully we can come up with a game Plan about this roof.

We have a little time to consider all aspects and I have put forward some Suggestions to the Wife and also to the Architect. I had to laugh at his response, Hey Jack! I design and advise, I don't take on ladies with a mind to have what she wants.

As this is the only minor (Minor HUH!) thing you have disagreed on, I will stay out of it and build what you want.

I am sure we will solve the issue soon.

Thank you all that participated in this One. Another Good reason to have a good Forum, that can give Honest Answers to a realistic Question.

Jack P. :)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Jack

I have just read an ad in the Cebu sunstar

Why is tile roofing better?

-It makes the house cooler,

Sound and bullet proof,and low-maintenance

ANDORRA TILE

ROOFING INCORPORATED

117 GORORDO AVE

CEBU CITY

It made me laugh, bullet proof

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack

I have just read an ad in the Cebu sunstar

Why is tile roofing better?

-It makes the house cooler,

Sound and bullet proof,and low-maintenance

ANDORRA TILE

ROOFING INCORPORATED

117 GORORDO AVE

CEBU CITY

It made me laugh, bullet proof

TOTA! TORA! TORA! Pearl Harbour all over again. attacked from the Air :unsure: 1%20(72).gif in a a gunship.
  • Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Any decision to the roofing yet?

Inquiring and nosey minds want to know!

:mocking:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hi bob, funny you should ask this, we are now looking at a Norwegian roof that was invented or discovered for Wet weather and withstand heavy snow fall. made of Alta quartz Stone,quarried in the Arctic circle, so it knows about wind and rain I don't expect snow but it is apparently virtually impervious to rain. a Little on the expensive side but it was designed to be cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter I mean, How may time do you want to change a Roof, this stuff has a 30+year Guarantee.some roofs in Norway are still going strong after 100 years. (Well that's 10 + maybe here in the PI) here's Hoping we can get it right. Probably 1/3 as much over a conventional roof but has a lot of added benefits. I will keep you informed.

jack P. :tiphat:

post-2148-0-40939600-1338324974_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-12025300-1338325026_thumb.jp

post-2148-0-95404300-1338325038_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hummmmmmmm .... could the bullet-proof roof be a by product of all the happy celebrations we have here where dumb-a*ses shoot their guns up in the air thinking the bullets just some how stay up there ...... I mean after all no one has seen them come down ...... unless you've been hit by one ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Sheet metal roofs don't neccessarily make for hotter houses. Here in Bundaberg we are on the edge of the cyclone belt and thus the majority of homes here have colourbond metal roofing.Instead of the Philippine usual choice of dark red, blue or green, why not opt for a light colour which reflects the suns rays instead of absorbing it. My house here had a light (dune) colour metal roof, we only had light poly bats in the ceiling and it WAS cool.

Have seen the tile pattern metal roofs that Sonjack was talking about and they do look good. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Sheet metal roofs don't neccessarily make for hotter houses. Here in Bundaberg we are on the edge of the cyclone belt and thus the majority of homes here have colourbond metal roofing.Instead of the Philippine usual choice of dark red, blue or green, why not opt for a light colour which reflects the suns rays instead of absorbing it. My house here had a light (dune) colour metal roof, we only had light poly bats in the ceiling and it WAS cool.

Have seen the tile pattern metal roofs that Sonjack was talking about and they do look good. :thumbsup:

Have to admit no but I will as soon as I have some Food here, thank you for reminding me about this Topic.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hi bob, funny you should ask this, we are now looking at a Norwegian roof that was invented or discovered for Wet weather and withstand heavy snow fall. made of Alta quartz Stone,quarried in the Arctic circle, so it knows about wind and rain I don't expect snow but it is apparently virtually impervious to rain. a Little on the expensive side but it was designed to be cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter I mean, How may time do you want to change a Roof, this stuff has a 30+year Guarantee.some roofs in Norway are still going strong after 100 years. (Well that's 10 + maybe here in the PI) here's Hoping we can get it right. Probably 1/3 as much over a conventional roof but has a lot of added benefits. I will keep you informed.

jack P. :tiphat:

Hey Jack!

I am very familiar with the roofing you are talking about... I used to manufacture the same thing on a small scale! When I had my Art Supply business, we also had a woodshop to manufacture products for our artists - this grew into making furniture for many of the local companies as well as filling in for a few chains when they could not get all their products during the Christmas Rush. They would license us to make a limited supply of product for them... Beds, dining sets, cabinets, etc! And then we started bringing in slate for some of the folk artists - we were one of the original retailers of this before it caught on back in the 90's. As my business was located on the edge of the largest industrial park east of Montreal, I was constantly having a lot of men come in for their wives on the way home from work... And a few of them were seriously eyeing the slate we carried. One of these fine gentlemen owned one of the largest roofing companies in all of Atlantic Canada and he asked who our slate supplier was... Keeping this information close to my chest, I spoke with him in great detail on what he wanted to do... And, as the "manufacture" of the slate I sold was a neighbour of mine, I stopped in on the way home and purchased a large portion of the company. Ah the days when I actually had money to burn! Anyways, for a short while, we ran a lot of that slate through my wood shop manufacturing slate shingles to the specs required and also very similar to what you are looking at - as the importer in Vermont of that product was where I went to get the specs to manufacture mine with..

Now for the bad news about using this as roofing... It is heavy... Very heavy!!! Even more so than the tile roof. It will require a very strong roof (definitely more engineered than what we are normally used to in North America) as well as thick enough to secure the tiles thoroughly. Originally nails were used but it was found to actually cause stress fractures in the tile and it would then break apart a few years later - if you were lucky. We tried pneumatic nailers set for different pressures through to manually nailing with rubber mallets but could not find a workable method. The roofers finally came up with the solution of using screws installed to a pre-set torque. Once it is installed, you can count on at least a little less than 1/3 of tiles experiencing breakage on installation as well as the cost of the screws being higher. And, yes, the roof will last for years and years but that's without any earthquakes! And hurricane force winds will pull up loose tiles so I would expect the same with a typhoon. In other words, I wouldn't recommend this product in the Philippines unless a) the house is designed for this product; and b) you are mucho mucho well off with many many pesos!

• Like 2