Any Builders Here?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Any decision to the roofing yet?

Inquiring and nosey minds want to know!

:mocking:

Hi bob, funny you should ask this, we are now looking at a Norwegian roof that was invented or discovered for Wet weather and withstand heavy snow fall. made of Alta quartz Stone,quarried in the Arctic circle, so it knows about wind and rain I don't expect snow but it is apparently virtually impervious to rain. a Little on the expensive side but it was designed to be cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter I mean, How may time do you want to change a Roof, this stuff has a 30+year Guarantee.some roofs in Norway are still going strong after 100 years. (Well that's 10 + maybe here in the PI) here's Hoping we can get it right. Probably 1/3 as much over a conventional roof but has a lot of added benefits. I will keep you informed.

jack P. :tiphat:

Hey Jack!

I am very familiar with the roofing you are talking about... I used to manufacture the same thing on a small scale! When I had my Art Supply business, we also had a woodshop to manufacture products for our artists - this grew into making furniture for many of the local companies as well as filling in for a few chains when they could not get all their products during the Christmas Rush. They would license us to make a limited supply of product for them... Beds, dining sets, cabinets, etc! And then we started bringing in slate for some of the folk artists - we were one of the original retailers of this before it caught on back in the 90's. As my business was located on the edge of the largest industrial park east of Montreal, I was constantly having a lot of men come in for their wives on the way home from work... And a few of them were seriously eyeing the slate we carried. One of these fine gentlemen owned one of the largest roofing companies in all of Atlantic Canada and he asked who our slate supplier was... Keeping this information close to my chest, I spoke with him in great detail on what he wanted to do... And, as the "manufacture" of the slate I sold was a neighbour of mine, I stopped in on the way home and purchased a large portion of the company. Ah the days when I actually had money to burn! Anyways, for a short while, we ran a lot of that slate through my wood shop manufacturing slate shingles to the specs required and also very similar to what you are looking at - as the importer in Vermont of that product was where I went to get the specs to manufacture mine with..

Now for the bad news about using this as roofing... It is heavy... Very heavy!!! Even more so than the tile roof. It will require a very strong roof (definitely more engineered than what we are normally used to in North America) as well as thick enough to secure the tiles thoroughly. Originally nails were used but it was found to actually cause stress fractures in the tile and it would then break apart a few years later - if you were lucky. We tried pneumatic nailers set for different pressures through to manually nailing with rubber mallets but could not find a workable method. The roofers finally came up with the solution of using screws installed to a pre-set torque. Once it is installed, you can count on at least a little less than 1/3 of tiles experiencing breakage on installation as well as the cost of the screws being higher. And, yes, the roof will last for years and years but that's without any earthquakes! And hurricane force winds will pull up loose tiles so I would expect the same with a typhoon. In other words, I wouldn't recommend this product in the Philippines unless a) the house is designed for this product; and b) you are mucho mucho well off with many many pesos!

Thanks Bob, we have now practically discounted the tile thought for Safety reasons mainly and cost was an important issue too, we are going to have a look at the Item Song Jack said a bout and I found a Post Dzighman made in April about onduline Roofing Material, which may be the same thing or similar that sonjack, was talking about. I do thank all that have contributed in this as we do need to get organised very soon and as I said at the Start, it is the one thing we are just not really 100 % agreeing on. But I know who will have her way in the End, even thought, she will let me think, it was My Idea, female Logic. :)

regards jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 1

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Jack, I've just built a house here and used corrugated, colourbond steel. ( Like Bundy ) It's very popular here, and in many peoples opinion ( mine too ) looks good.

We get a lot of direct, very hot sun here, every day throughout the long summer. Haven't known one to fade. They do heat up fast and cool down fast, and the only

answer is lots of insulation. You'd be wise to use lots of insulation whatever roof you choose. Tiles heat up and cool down very slowly.

I've owned a tiled house here, never again ! You can't always see if one's cracked or broken, and the first time you know, is when water is coming through the ceiling.

IMHO. use colourbond steel....Strong....Durable....Maintainance free....Reasonable cost....Attractive. (IMO)

Torrential rain is muted with insulation, and if you're lying in bed, it's comforting. :bedtime2:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack, I've just built a house here and used corrugated, colorbond steel. ( Like Bundy ) It's very popular here, and in many peoples opinion ( mine too ) looks good.

We get a lot of direct, very hot sun here, every day throughout the long summer. Haven't known one to fade. They do heat up fast and cool down fast, and the only

answer is lots of insulation. You'd be wise to use lots of insulation whatever roof you choose. Tiles heat up and cool down very slowly.

I've owned a tiled house here, never again ! You can't always see if one's cracked or broken, and the first time you know, is when water is coming through the ceiling.

IMHO. use colorbond steel....Strong....Durable....Maintainance free....Reasonable cost....Attractive. (IMO)

Torrential rain is muted with insulation, and if you're lying in bed, it's comforting. :bedtime2:

:thumbsup: SORTED! Azon is contacting the Architect today to organise quotes and things, many thanks for this info

In fact thank you all for your input.

Jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Hmmm.... Thatched roof?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hmmm.... Thatched roof?

:hystery:

Only on me And matey BUT! then, after so many years without, too warm I think, a Nice thought though but Practical? Mmmmmmmmm not to sure about that

post-2148-0-82312300-1338466816_thumb.jp

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Having decided on the design at long last, it is all systems go very soon, the only thing we are disagreeing on, and this is not to bad just yet, is the Roof. Sheet metal panels as the Norm or Tiles. Has anyone done a build lately, can any one give me some Cost differences and Technical help in deciding what to do. For me it is Tiles. I am no builder and She is local and has her own reasons for a Sheet Roof.Pitfalls, Cost any thoughts and Advice would be nice.The house will be 120sq mtr.Jack P. :)

post-2148-0-49156700-1334000936_thumb.jp

Jack, I,m curious, What is the ball park price to build a house like that ?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Having decided on the design at long last, it is all systems go very soon, the only thing we are disagreeing on, and this is not to bad just yet, is the Roof. Sheet metal panels as the Norm or Tiles. Has anyone done a build lately, can any one give me some Cost differences and Technical help in deciding what to do. For me it is Tiles. I am no builder and She is local and has her own reasons for a Sheet Roof.Pitfalls, Cost any thoughts and Advice would be nice.The house will be 120sq mtr.Jack P. :)

Around 3.8 mil I am lucky that I have Family to build this, the Architect is a Cousin of my Wife the Civil engineer is my Brother-in- Law so with their contacts I will spend a lot less on Materials. we are looking at 1.5 to 2 mil finished Job depends on what we do about the roof finish. Keeping things in-house can pay dividends sometimes. normally they quote 25000 per sq mtr to build. the Exterior wall is going to be about 25000 p so all in all at 500 meters Lot your Ball park figure would be around 4 mil. maybe a little expensive but it is what she wanted and I just love it.

Jack P, :tiphat:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Around 3.8 mil I am lucky that I have Family to build this, the Architect is a Cousin of my Wife the Civil engineer is my Brother-in- Law so with their contacts I will spend a lot less on Materials. we are looking at 1.5 to 2 mil finished Job depends on what we do about the roof finish. Keeping things in-house can pay dividends sometimes. normally they quote 25000 per sq mtr to build. the Exterior wall is going to be about 25000 p so all in all at 500 meters Lot your Ball park figure would be around 4 mil. maybe a little expensive but it is what she wanted and I just love it.

So Jack

This is it, final resting place? as you know you will never get your money back on a house at the price so if in doubt don't. There has been many who have lost most of their wealth by building a mansion and having to go back home simply because no one will pay what it cost you to build. This post is not directed at you Jack but a wake up call for others.

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

It is a beautiful home Jack and I,m sure you and your lovely wife will have many happy years living in it

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

So Jack

This is it, final resting place? as you know you will never get your money back on a house at the price so if in doubt don't. There has been many who have lost most of their wealth by building a mansion and having to go back home simply because no one will pay what it cost you to build. This post is not directed at you Jack but a wake up call for others.

You are so right, I once asked a friend in Bacong (Negros) at his House warming, was it all worth it ( 10 Million) + Land 5 beds + 4 Cr's for 2 adults and 1 baby + maid 300 sq mtrs. he said well it is Beautiful. mmm Ok, I said BUT would you pay 10 mil + for this he said, NO Way. any house is only worth what someone else will pay. Question did not need asking. the Upkeep is Crippling him to this day. Lots going Wrong, Plumbing, Electrics ( bad supervision to my mind.) His electric bill needs a Mortgage. 8 A/c's. We worked on the assumption (Bad word,) that we would build what we could afford I have no desire to move on. Certainly not now, I know, I have this problem it was a one off for us. We met late in Life. We decided to build what was right for us, not for anyone else to make use off. Selfish? NO! It is my Retirement present to me, Me! for once and as you know my feelings for my wife and daughter, it will be worth every penny to us and small enough for her to cope with when I am gone and I have no illusions, I will not, last forever. Your post is spot on. Build what you need for you and your family. this impressive build thing is OK, if life lasts,and the money does not run out. As you say people do loose a fortune and much Homework is needed, For me and Azon, I know we have made the right Decision, we waited Long enough in Digs to get it right. Now I am done I will I hope live long enough to enjoy. ( I will die trying anyway) at 3.1 mill complete land included. I think we did well.

Happy Jack P :tiphat: ( 27 days to Go

• Like 3