Dowry?

Curley
Posted
Posted

Has anyone else been hit for a dowry demand in the Philippines? Briefly, a well brought up Catholic girl, educated, never had a boyfriend before, I met the parents 3 times, got on well, they were all in favour, allowed her to come on holiday with me for 3 weeks, planning to move to Philippines in May/June and to get married soon after. She has been a little "down" the last couple of weeks, yesterday it all came out.... her parents (read Mother) are demanding 500,000 "present" before the wedding and no more staying together till after the wedding.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

RUN

• Like 3

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Wow, that is a hard one to swallow. I think I would have to pass on that one as it sure sounds like that is something that should have been discussed with you a long time ago.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Perhaps they need to learn that the definition of dowry is:

Money or property brought by a bride to her husband at marriage

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

WOW! Blown me away! Mrs Bundy says this kind of thing used to happen long ago and may still exist amongst some families but 500,000..... that's just rediculous.

• Like 2

Bastos
Posted
Posted

Probably, in their opinion, for their virgin daughters company for 3 weeks, it's the screwin you get for the screwin you got. RUN FORREST RUN !!!!!!!!!!! If it's not too late. 3 weeks? Is she pregnant?

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

Has anyone else been hit for a dowry demand in the Philippines? Briefly, a well brought up Catholic girl, educated, never had a boyfriend before, I met the parents 3 times, got on well, they were all in favour, allowed her to come on holiday with me for 3 weeks, planning to move to Philippines in May/June and to get married soon after. She has been a little "down" the last couple of weeks, yesterday it all came out.... her parents (read Mother) are demanding 500,000 "present" before the wedding and no more staying together till after the wedding.

I have a couple of questions;

1.) How old is she? If she is over 18 but under 21 you need parental consent. (Run)

If she is 21-24 you need written confirmation of parental advice. (Possible)

If she is over 25, too bad...Momma is SOL and has absolutely no say in the matter (Unless your lady gives it to her in which case....Run)!

2.) Did you see any possible hint of this coming or did this slap you in the face?

3.) How does your lady feel about it all? (This could be a preview of your life together with her family). Can you live with this? FYI: P500K is approx $12,000 USD!

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 3

billten
Posted
Posted

Sorry Curley, i agree with the crowd... RUN!

This is likely a preview of your married life i'm sorry to say. Unless your lovely bride to be is a VERY strong woman and ready to toss her parents out on their butts, you're in for a rough ass ride man. Better to kill it before it gets really ugly and you have a lot more cash on the table.

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It's an old tradition, still practiced in parts of the world. No problem, but tell them they have three too many 0's to the right of the 5.

• Like 2