Dowry?

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Curley, I feel for you!

Many of us have offered varying suggestions but I want to add that I think you are doing the right thing... If your girlfriend decides that you are who she wants to be with and is willing to move away from momma and her control, well, I guess it is still up to you how to proceed... I have thought long and hard on if my sweethearts mom was to do this with us and I think I would do exactly as you have...

I really do hope things work out for you... You are too great a guy to have momma destroy it all!

Americano
Posted
Posted

Curley,

I still say its possible one of her parents is a Muslim. I see Jake came to that conclusion too. Here is why its possible.

In 2006 when I was still working I took a Filipina to America and married her. We would send money to her parents every month but it was never enough, they always wanted more. We started at $100. then $150. and finally $200. per month. Then we started building a house for them but ran out of savings before the house was completed. Her parents were constantly pressuring her to send more money. Finally after we were married for about two years she told me that her father is a Muslim. Then the whole picture became very clear. Her father being Muslim didn't bother me because I believe in freedom of religion but now I understood why her parents were always demanding more money. They believe the husband of their daughter is required to give them money and lots of it.

One of my wife's cousins told me that her father was Muslim but my wife always denied it. Documents that had religion listed said he was Catholic. Evidently he would go in a room and close the door when he would put his forehead on the floor to pray, so there was no way I could tell his religion. Even if someone goes in a Catholic Church doesn't mean they are Catholic or have Catholic beliefs.

Well, to make a long story short, my wife finally realized I couldn't provide everything that her parents demanded of her so she filed for a divorce. She wanted to be single in America so she could find a rich husband. She got what she wished for but as many of us know, money doesn't equal happiness. Well, maybe her parents are happy. Her rich husband completed the house.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Well if one of them is a "closet" Muslim it must be her Mother, Father is embarrassed by it all.

Curley
Posted
Posted

I must say a heartfelt thanks to everyone for their responses, it has confirmed my belief that I have done the right thing. My retirement should start sometime next month and I'll probably be taking a trip around various Asian countries, starting and finishing in Thailand.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
it must be her Mother

Whereas there are some meek and mild filipinas that make my heart melt, there are also some older, dominant, demanding filipinas who make western woman look good by comparison. I think you found one of those in 'Momma'

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

Momma has 9 kids so why not ask her to divide the 500,000pesos equally between all 9 kids? Your share will only be 55,555pesos. That seems fair to me. If one daughter is expected to pay money to the mother then why not all of her kids?

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

Momma has 9 kids so why not ask her to divide the 500,000pesos equally between all 9 kids? Your share will only be 55,555pesos. That seems fair to me. If one daughter is expected to pay money to the mother then why not all of her kids?

I did suggest that..... the answer?....... Oh but they have families to support! Fillipina logic hmmmmmm.

I'm told that there is no Thai word for logic...... maybe the same is true for Tagalog/Visayas/Chavano?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I did suggest that..... the answer?....... Oh but they have families to support! Filipina logic mmmmmm.

I'm told that there is no Thai word for logic...... maybe the same is true for Tagalog/Visayan/Chavano?

:mocking: If there was Curly, I am not sure they would Understand it. :unsure:

Jack P. :)

Curley
Posted
Posted

An update on the situation, she is now going to enrol with an agency through her university to go and work in Dubai for two years. The agency claim that she could be a receptionist ina 4 or 5 star hotel. A receptionist in a 5 star Dubai hotel who speaks very good English, Tagalog, Visayas and Chavacano? I'm absolutely certain that they're crying out for those qualifications in Dubai 5 star hotels. LOL Mother is already looking forward to the rewards, Father has borrowed money from his company to pay the agency fees. She was not happy when I tried to explain... she is determined to go because "I have ruined her life".

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

An update on the situation, she is now going to enrol with an agency through her university to go and work in Dubai for two years. The agency claim that she could be a receptionist ina 4 or 5 star hotel. A receptionist in a 5 star Dubai hotel who speaks very good English, Tagalog, Visayas and Chavacano? I'm absolutely certain that they're crying out for those qualifications in Dubai 5 star hotels. LOL Mother is already looking forward to the rewards, Father has borrowed money from his company to pay the agency fees. She was not happy when I tried to explain... she is determined to go because "I have ruined her life".

Isn't that a testimony of her true feelings towards you? Good thing you walked away......

• Like 3