Dowry?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

An update on the situation, she is now going to enrol with an agency through her university to go and work in Dubai for two years. The agency claim that she could be a receptionist Ina 4 or 5 star hotel. A receptionist in a 5 star Dubai hotel who speaks very good English, Tagalog, Visayan and Chavacano? I'm absolutely certain that they're crying out for those qualifications in Dubai 5 star hotels. LOL Mother is already looking forward to the rewards, Father has borrowed money from his company to pay the agency fees. She was not happy when I tried to explain... she is determined to go because "I have ruined her life".

Curley! Hope things can get better for you now, "Plenty more Fish" comes to Mind. :thumbsup:

Curley
Posted
Posted

An update on the situation, she is now going to enrol with an agency through her university to go and work in Dubai for two years. The agency claim that she could be a receptionist Ina 4 or 5 star hotel. A receptionist in a 5 star Dubai hotel who speaks very good English, Tagalog, Visayan and Chavacano? I'm absolutely certain that they're crying out for those qualifications in Dubai 5 star hotels. LOL Mother is already looking forward to the rewards, Father has borrowed money from his company to pay the agency fees. She was not happy when I tried to explain... she is determined to go because "I have ruined her life".

Curley! Hope things can get better for you now, "Plenty more Fish" comes to Mind. :thumbsup:

There sure are Jack. I'm in Thailand at the moment, should be going to the Phils around 9th June arrive Manila, will probably have 3 nights there and then head on down to Davao and Samal.... nothing fixed, I'm now retired although I still own the majority of the business. This is a 3 month trip and then it's back to Tenerife to sell house, cars etc

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

There sure are Jack. I'm in Thailand at the moment, should be going to the Phils around 9th June arrive Manila, will probably have 3 nights there and then head on down to Davao and Samal.... nothing fixed, I'm now retired although I still own the majority of the business. This is a 3 month trip and then it's back to Tenerife to sell house, cars etc

:thumbsup: Congrats Curley, Wish I could havehad more time to sort things out but life, can be a Bitch sometimes. I am not Going to dwell on it though, Just need to get my self home and get sorted best i can. Good Luck to you, Hope this spanish Resession, does not knock your House sale to much. I have a Gut feeling that we shall hear really good news from you on the Little lady thing in the not to distant Future. You sound like a man that does not let the Grass grow under your Feet :) have a ball and Enjoy, you have all told me the same thing, so lets hear some stories of your Trip when you have time, maybe later, as I think you may be a little busy yet. :541:

• Like 2

TheMason
Posted
Posted

I say negotiate, see if the mother will throw in 2 more daughters for the same price. :th_Good-Luck:

They're Catholics, not Muslim. Only one bride per groom permitted.

I really question a lot of the things in the OP.

A 'well brought up Catholic girl' who's parents let her go on an unchaperoned, 3 week trip with her boyfriend? That's not behavior I'd expect from a 'well brought up Catholic girl'. If the parents really brought her up that way, there is no way in hell she'd have been permitted to go with you on holiday. Then offering to sell their daughter into marriage for 500k doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in the family either.

If you're one of those drunken pensioners, you found your soul mate, marry her today!! Otherwise, keep looking.

• Like 2

samatm
Posted
Posted

500K is chicken feed Curly if thats truly it. If there are no additional houses to build or kids to educate , or derelict businesses to bail, or cousins to bury, or Lolas to house, etc.... then count your blessings you can get off very lightly. BUT I have a feeling 500k is just priming the pump. RUN Curly RUN (i know Curly has already flown the coup and is doing well -good head on those shoulders that lad has)

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
The mother is still trying to get the money from the foreigner or any foreigner. I met them thru a friend who asked me if I knew how they could find this guy in his country. I told them I did not of course, then ran.

For P100,000 I could...!!!

:mocking:

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
who asked me if I knew how they could find this guy in his country.

You should have given them the address of your country's taxpayers hotel!!!

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
500K is chicken feed Curly if thats truly it. If there are no additional houses to build or kids to educate , or derelict businesses to bail, or cousins to bury, or Lolas to house, etc..

Hmm, I see why you call yourself Sam ATM :)

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I say negotiate, see if the mother will throw in 2 more daughters for the same price. :th_Good-Luck:

They're Catholics, not Muslim. Only one bride per groom permitted.

It was just a joke but it never hurts to negotiate.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
dean01
Posted
Posted

Has anyone else been hit for a dowry demand in the Philippines? Briefly, a well brought up Catholic girl, educated, never had a boyfriend before, I met the parents 3 times, got on well, they were all in favour, allowed her to come on holiday with me for 3 weeks, planning to move to Philippines in May/June and to get married soon after. She has been a little "down" the last couple of weeks, yesterday it all came out.... her parents (read Mother) are demanding 500,000 "present" before the wedding and no more staying together till after the wedding.

you did the right thing and ran away.

I would have expected 100 daughters for that amount and for them all to be virgins

I just want to add that I did make it very clear from the start that I would be able to give her a good life but that I would not support her family. That obviously fell on deaf ears as far as Mother was concerned.

Mother has been married twice..... first time had 7 kids, married again at 42 to a 28 year old unmarried man and had 2 more children. The Father must have had some heavy persuasion to take on a woman 14 years his senior with 7 kids in tow. They're now 50 and 64. Apparently the Father's family were not pleased with his choice of wife!

that is not a good idea , it better to tell the family you are looking for some one to cook , clean , wash etc and she will get food and a place to stay.