Latest Trip To S&r

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Sometime back I said I would do a meat comparison as far as US beef prices ..... so here goes ..... please keep in mind that this beef is frozen as it comes from the US ..... they also have Ozzie beef and Kiwi beef plus I'm sure local carabao ...... :lol: ...... chicken and fish but I'm sure these too are all local ..... all prices are in pesos and are kilo's .... also the meat is not 2 in. thick but rather 1/2 to 3/4 ...... not like the butcher would cut ..... but the cuts we have tried have proven to be very tasty and if you know how to pick and cook meat surprisingly tender .... besides at this point I'm not going to complain except to say it cost us 8500p to get out of there ..... and we only had 3 bags full .... :mocking:

Striploin ............................. 1299.95

Ribeye whole ..................... 1294.95

Choice Sirloin ..................... 799.95

Prime Rib ........................... 1199.95

Ground Beef ....................... 399.95

T Bone ............................... no price

Short ribs ........................... 899.95

New York ............................ 1399.95

Minute steak ...................... 699.95

Rib Eye .............................. 1399.95

Sirloin ................................ 899.95

Porterhouse ...................... 1399.95

I will add that for some reason the pizza as not fully cooked this time ... the bottom crust was VERY doughy .... we had to have them recook it and also my asawa ordered a chicken roll to go and when we got home she took one bite and spit it out .... chicken tasted sour and smelled terrible ..... I hope this is not shades of what's to be when the two companies merge .... even though the same guy owns both they are managed differently ..... just saying :unsure:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Just out of curiousity, how does the quality and price compare to the Aussie and Kiwi beef?

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Geeeeeeeez ...... thanks Bob ..... now I gotta do another survey next time I go there ..... :lol: ...... well to tell the truth I really didn't look ..... besides not sure that they use the same cuts of beef we do ..... I was surprised to see Kiwi beef as i thought they only ATE sheep ...... :mocking: ...... and as for beef from Oz ..... I don't think they really care what cut it is as long as they can put Vegemite on it ........ post-11-0-30120200-1334974419_thumb.jpg .... :hystery:

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks Mike for your efforts to enlighten newbies as to how expensive Beef is here. If you are a beef eater and really need it, this is not the place for you. There is no beef like American beef in my opinion but hard to find and so expensive here.

I went To S&R when they first opened. You couldn't get through the door without membership or the membership form that they were passing out in a special booth outside. I had a blank form in my hand so the guard let me through the door and when he turned his back i skipped out of the line of people paying for their membership and went into the store to look around.

Being a Wallmart veteran, I was certainly unimpressed with the goods on the shelf. The food section was differant though. All that great frozen meat made me drool. Frozen steaks and roasts even whole frozen turkeys. I had just been to a special Thanksgiving buffet at the Marriot, and even there they served Turkey loave not the whole bird.

I decided that my waistline did not need the rich food and my budget did not need the expense of it. For that I will stay with occaisional restarant meal like at our gathering last night at Canvas.

Besides I have never paid for "membership" for the privelege of giving a store my business. In my opinion that was a brilliant maketing move, started by Sam Walton to give a bit of snob appeal to his stores for the masses, and not a ploy I will be suckered into. No Sam's club or the knockoffs for me.

Edited by jode

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
I hope this is not shades of what's to be when the two companies merge .... even though the same guy owns both they are managed differently ....

The 2 companies are for all purposes all ready as one, they are seperate "firms" due to tax purposes or some tax saving reason

also every body does have a bad day sometime.

When it was PRICESMART the workers was more "competant" than they are currently

just dont let 1 poor experience ruin your day there.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

post-2148-0-32542600-1334996065_thumb.jpThe word BEEF! remined me of a Photo we took of a beef steak, I had in Bayawan Last year. The beef was bought locally and it was from Peru. Beef to me is beef, like wine, I don't always know what I like but I know a bad one. This particular steak was fairly small but the taste was good and at the right price. Supermarket meat I think is just a profit thing and very hit and Miss in Quality, if we look about and talk to some locals we can find good cuts. Local Meat shops are there if we look around. usualy in those streets we never go down.

Maybe for the member who wanted Ideas about a Buisness, A good Western/US butcher might be a good Venture , :541:

Jack P. :)

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Besides I have never paid for "membership" for the privelege of giving a store my business. In my opinion that was a brilliant maketing move, started by Sam Walton to give a bit of snob appeal to his stores for the masses, and not a ploy I will be suckered into. No Sam's club or the knockoffs for me.

You actually gotta pay for the priviledge to go into someones store and spend your money?Hahaha what a load of crap, and i don't care even if they sell vegemite, i too would not be suckered into that :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I kind of agree, it's not like they're giving anything away free, is it? I go to SM Hypermarket when I go to Cebu City. Never crowded and the service is good so far. They give us free ice to pack the perishables for the long trip back. Debit card works every time, not bad wine selection.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

New update ........ DO NOT BUY the S&R brand hamburger meat in the frozen patty's ...... it tastes like crap ..... when my asawa started cooking it I asked her what the heck she was cooking and she said YOUR hamburger meat from S&R ...... it smelled like longganisa .... no kidding .... and when I tasted it it tastes like longganisa and salty as hell .... so it must be meat left over for several months and then mixed with Pilipino flavorings and frozen so it will keep for another 6 months ...... it is terrible ..... my asawa didn't even like it ...... but she won't throw it away .... she'll eat it even if she doesn't care for it ..... waste not want not ..... me ..... I'd give it to the kitties outside ....... thank god it wasn't to expensive .... 285p for 8 pieces ...... so buyer beware

And while we are on the subject the S&R brand hotdogs are NOT from the US but locally made ...... the best regular hotdogs I have found here are the PureFoods Angus beef hotdogs in SM ...... but like most meats produced here don't let it get cold or the flavor changes ..... I don't even want to give a guess why ..... :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

I've been using the Swifts German Hotdogs from SM. P124 for 500gms or 6 jumbos. So far, the closest to US I could find.

• Like 3