Latest Trip To S&r

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

Thanks Mike for your efforts to enlighten newbies as to how expensive Beef is here. If you are a beef eater and really need it, this is not the place for you. There is no beef like American beef in my opinion but hard to find and so expensive here.

I don't know the last time you purchased meat in a US store, but it has become incredibly expensive here too. A nice, 16oz, US Grade A Rib Eye will cost you $20 at the grocery these days. But of course the US g'ment doesn't include food and energy inflation costs in the CPI.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

KanoJoe ...... please tell me it ain't so ..... some one keeps insisting it is SO much cheaper to live in the US ...... everything except rent is way higher here in the Phils ..... Geeeeeez .... I though steak in the US would be about $1.00 a pound by now as I'm told things are actually getting cheaper ......

Steve ...... yes the Pure Foods German are good and I used to eat them all the time (you'll notice I said I ..... my asawa won't touch them even on a good day ..... gotta be those bright red ones for her .... :lol: ) but one day as usual they were out of the German and had these Angus ones ..... so I tried them .... they are good ... IMHO ..... and at least now I have a choice ..... unless they run out of both ..... nawwwwwww that would never happen ...... would it ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

jode
Posted
Posted
Steve ...... yes the Pure Foods German are good and I used to eat them all the time

For those less in the know, the hotdog section in pilipino super markets takes up half the meat section of the store. There are dozens of varieties of those little sausages. I normally stay away from them and their dubious contents.

A while ago while searching the frozen sausage area for imported Bratwurst (I'm from Wisconsin and need my brat fix once in awhile). I saw the Pure foods-Hormel German Franks. With the reassuring names Hormel (a Minnesota meatpacker) and german. I thought I would give them a try as they were not expensive.

They are very good and I make them a regular item now and on the menu once or twice a week. I did some research and found out Pure Foods company is now owned by San Miguel. Although the Hormel interest in the company was bought out, I hope with the name still on the products that the high standards of that company are still followed.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike - you would be amazed at how expensive food has gotten over here! Lliving on the Canada - US border used to be a bargain... Go to the states for what was cheaper there and then buy what was cheaper here as per normal... Not anymore! Luckily things like steak is cheaper in Canada - but I'm still looking at between $10 and $20 a pound for a half decent steak! Of course you can buy the tubes of lean ground beef for $3 a pound... Or the premade hamburg patties for $12 for 8 burgers but they are usually made from at least half Pink Slime - and I don't eat that!

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Thankyou for the tip on the hotdogs people.I do like hotdogs and now that i know what hotdog to buy, can anyone tell me where to get the rolls from? I ask as i'm only too well aware what Filipino baked goods are like and i don't think i could stomach "sugar flavoured dogs".

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thankyou for the tip on the hotdogs people.I do like hotdogs and now that i know what hotdog to buy, can anyone tell me where to get the rolls from? I ask as i'm only too well aware what Filipino baked goods are like and i don't think i could stomach "sugar flavoured dogs".

Have never found hotdog buns - get baguettes -or if likely a slim loaf of french bread (or what passes as such here) and take knife to them to make buns. by the way yesterday my search for bratwurst was futile, How a food store can call itself that, and not carry Bratwurst is something i will never understand.

Edited by jode
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Have never found hotdog buns - get baguettes -or if likely a slim loaf of french bread (or what passes as such here) and take knife to them to make buns. by the way yesterday my search for bratwurst was futile, How a food store can call itself that, and not carry Bratwurst is something i will never understand.

Ok thanks Jode, so i assume we're talking about those long skinny pieces of bread they have like at French Baker in SM?

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks Jode, so i assume we're talking about those long skinny pieces of bread they have like at French Baker in SM?

The bakery area at the front door of SM Bacolod supermarket has the hotdog buns. They are baked fresh but hit or miss for stock. At times no stock sir.
  • Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yes they have them in SM here in Cebu also ..... surprisingly they are not as sweet as most Philippine breads ..... now if they just had a decent can of chilli here to go with the cheese ... cole-slaw (you have to make it yourself) and fixings I would be in hotdog heaven ..... I did find Jack Daniels mustard in Ayala a few years back with about 5-6 different flavors but someone must have stuffed up the reorder as never again did it appear ..... mustard seems to be really lacking here .... guess Pilipinos don't really eat it that much ....... :mocking:

• Like 1

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)

baguettes or however they spell it are the fancy french name they give to small narrow loaves of bread here.

Have never been able to find pickles in stores in Philippines until tonight. Went to the jcentre Mall on Fortuna St. in mandaue. The mall only opened about 6 months ago and is very nice. At the SM hypermart there found, after asking, 3 lonely small jars of pickles next to the olives in the foreign food section. The pickles are the smallest I have ever seen and it says on the jar packed in vinegar. Not much dill but better than no pickles at all.

Edited by jode