A Little Something To While Away The Hours

Mike S
Posted
Posted

No matter what hobby you are used to engaging in where you come from almost guaranteed something about it will be different here ..... example I like working in wood by hand not using any power tools (I do use an electric drill only) ....... I also enjoy making my own tools for woodworking and thank god I do because some of the tools that I was used to using are just not available here so you have to find a work around ...... something as simple as 8" dual pointed compass is non existent here and supplies as simple as dowel rods can't be found you have to make your own ..... but then that does add another phase to your hobby ....... but by all means get a hobby

• Like 3

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

WHAT ???????? You can't even get an 8" dual pointed compass over there ???? That does it! I'm going to live in Thailand.

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Seriously Mike S, we have a term over here "Bush Mechanic" applied to people generally living out in the bush. These guys will attempt to fix anything and,

being without the real thing,

have an eye to spot the most unlikely items to use as tools or repair material. That's you my friend ! You're a Bush Mechanic. ( I fancy I'm one too)

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well Classic Dry ..... I spent my last 11 years as a industrial mechanic in a huge beverage filling and packaging plant and we had to repair tons of equipment and what we could not replace we had to jury-rig it to work until the parts came in ..... I have always enjoyed taking things apart and putting them back ..... but even I was amazed at the compass ..... now they have the school type and some 4-6" drafting ones but nothing bigger that I can find .... don't laugh but I'm gonna try and make a set out of chop-sticks ..... as I have some pretty long sets my asawa got somewhere ..... already have the plans for several more wooden specialty planes such as trim and gouging planes ...... but it all comes in good time .... and if you are into woodworking sizing wood here is totally different so throw the stuff you learned right out the window ..... and no it ain't in metrics .... tried that too ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Hey Mike S, my friend over there says when he orders wood, they bring a tree trunk, and some guy cuts it to the sizes he wants with a chain saw !!!

He says they're pretty bloody good at it too.

I definitely don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, and you're probably way ahead of me anyway, but I can't resist putting in my 2 cents.

I would be thinking of lengthening the arms of a regular school compass, so as to keep the adjusting screw. ( If it has one ) I can't think of anything better for the job

than chop-sticks. As long as you can make them rigid somehow, should work really well.

• Like 2

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Hey Mike S, Here's a method I've used a couple of times to join one thing to another. Take a long piece of ordinary cotton thread ( you get to choose the colour )

Fasten one end to one of the pieces with superglue and leave it for ten minutes. When it's firm bind the two pieces together with the cotton, over as much length as you can

( 2 inches or more in your case) When you've done that, soak the thread in superglue. Wait for one hour. ( superglue takes longer to dry if you're using plenty )

It's a pretty permanent join. Don't have superglue ? Get some. I always have some on hand and I find heaps of uses for it. I buy a packet with lots of little tubes.

I don't use it that often, and there's less waste that way.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Mike S, Here's a method I've used a couple of times to join one thing to another. Take a long piece of ordinary cotton thread ( you get to choose the colour )

Fasten one end to one of the pieces with superglue and leave it for ten minutes. When it's firm bind the two pieces together with the cotton, over as much length as you can

( 2 inches or more in your case) When you've done that, soak the thread in superglue. Wait for one hour. ( superglue takes longer to dry if you're using plenty )

It's a pretty permanent join. Don't have superglue ? Get some. I always have some on hand and I find heaps of uses for it. I buy a packet with lots of little tubes.

I don't use it that often, and there's less waste that way.

Thanks great tip ..... I keep LOTS of super glue handy and contact cement also ..... and don't forget the red-necks friend duct-tape ..... now that will work on anything if you use enough of it ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 2

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
have an eye to spot the most unlikely items to use as tools or repair material.

does that includes using stocking as fan belt, do you think ??????????????? hmmmmmm.......... very resourceful people :thumbsup:

:lol:

• Like 1

Classic Dry
Posted
Posted

Hi Ashanti,

Well it definitely would have included that thirty five years ago, but now every mothers son knows that trick.

I have to tell you, in the outback, where there are few materials of any kind to utilise, a way of fixing a broken

fan belt is used which is far more effective than a stocking.

• Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
a way of fixing a broken fan belt is used which is far more effective than a stocking.

and whats that???????????? bear in mind, im ignorant of australia - never been to australia but i heard romanticist stories of the outback. then you see the film by jenny agutter "Walkabout" ..........

thats the sum total of my australian experience, im afraid ............... :)

• Like 1