Cost of Living In The Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

The cost of living in the Philippines is a topic which I suspect every member here has had their say on in different threads. It is a very interesting topic and seldom do we find more than a handful of members actually agreeing about what it costs to live here.

The opening post here is full of valuable information. Thanks to PhilDiver for all the time and research he put into the post. I will mention here that I changed the title of the thread just a bit as the original title was in the form of a question and the post is actually more of an informative post. We do have members who check in only to help answer questions so we try to keep the thread titles reflective of the thread content.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

An excellent post, it seems to me that the biggest difference between the cost of living for expats and Fillipinos is accommodation. Fillipinos on reasonable salaries will have good clothes, own transport, phones, laptops etc but will happily live in unfinished houses or grotty rooms whereas we place importance on a comfortable home even if it's a studio.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but I found the post insulting.

This board is not just for people from your country.

Why didn't you post the information in currencies and units of measure used in the Philippines?

Also, what currency were you giving examples in? Is that Afghanistan dollars?

Regards: Jim

phildiver
Posted
Posted

Why didn't you post the information in currencies and units of measure used in the Philippines?

Hi Jim. This post was mostly for people who do not live in the Philippines and interested in costs so using Philippine Peso would not have been practical. And it would have looked ridiculous to have have a dozen currencies in the examples. I used US Dollars. I know people from Canada and Australia probaly wouldn't mind as their currencies are practically at parity with the US Dollar. LOL. You can't please everyone. I just noticed the Afgan thing (maybe it defaults to that if you don't do anything) and I just changed it to Dumaguete. Philippines. Peace.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

This is an excellent post. It allows someone planning to relocate to the Philppines to pick & choose what is most relevant based on personal circumstances. Stating prices in US dollars is likewise a good idea because it is still a universal currency. I probably won't read the information in detail if the currency selected was Euro. Thank you phildriver.

• Like 4

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

Funny, but the last time I checked, the little "$" indicates USD.

Great synopsis by the OP, although as obtuse as any post I've seen on the topic. So I can live on between $2,000 - $10,000 per month in the PI. Tell me something I didn't know already.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Are you including all the associated visa renewal costs in the Misc category? Not just the actual fees but the additional costs of traveling to/from a BI office if you live in a "provincial town" or getting an agent to do it?

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

PhilDiver, Thanks for your effort. I am attempting to gain all the info I can before I land. I had the impression that one would have to do without American type movies ( Spoken in english at least ) yogurt, good cheese, milk and decent grade beef. Guess it depends on where you are, what is available and what part of the P.I., of course how much one is willing to spend as well.

I'm glad I seen this thread.

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

[Funny, but the last time I checked, the little "$" indicates USD.

Thankyou but last time I checked, that symbol was also being used to indicate the currency for Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong.