Cost of Living In The Philippines

dalidali
Posted
Posted

All this flap about currencies??....

As much as anyone may dislike it or not approve, the US dollar remains as the international standard for conducting most international business.

Such as....oil is priced and sold in US dollars.

If the disgruntled poster does not like US dollars.....just convert it to his or her own country or situation.

No need for the flap IMO.

dalidali

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Farns
Posted
Posted

Nice job of cost comparison. My wife and I are exploring moving there, perhaps Cebu area, outside the city but with beach view (not necessarily on the water). Would a furnished two bedroom house rental be in the $500-$1000 range under those circumstances? Thanks.

Probably making an exploratry trip in January.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Nice job of cost comparison. My wife and I are exploring moving there, perhaps Cebu area, outside the city but with beach view (not necessarily on the water). Would a furnished two bedroom house rental be in the $500-$1000 range under those circumstances? Thanks.

Probably making an exploratry trip in January.

Yes, I think a rental home within your budget and requirements could be found on Cebu outside of Cebu City.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

You'd be surprised what you can find! A few months ago, my Special Someone and her mom rented a place (non-furnished) outside Cebu in the mountains for P750 a month - that is only around $17 to $18 a month! Of course they also got what they paid for!

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Someone asked and I never saw an answer so $ symbol origin follows. DO I WIN SOMETHING??? :bash:

Many suggestions have been made about the origin of the dollar symbol $, one of the commonest being that it derives from the figure 8, representing the Spanish 'piece of eight'. However, it actually comes from a handwritten 'ps', an abbreviation for 'peso' in old Spanish-American books. The $ symbol first occurs in the 1770s, in manuscript documents of English-Americans who had business dealings with Spanish-Americans, and it starts to appear in print after 1800.

The word 'dollar' itself derives from the Flemish or Low German word daler (in German taler or thaler), short for Joachimstaler, referring to a coin from the silver mines of Joachimstal, in Bohemia (now Jáchymov in the Czech Republic). The term was later applied to a coin used in the Spanish-American colonies and also in the British North American colonies at the time of the American War of Independence. It was adopted as the name of the US currency unit in the late 18th century.

As far as cost of living.... yup, IF YOU WANT MORE IT COSTS MORE.

:th_thbestpost:

My bottom line on basics (I am VERY basic) is SINGLE in USA 16,000 PHP to COUPLE+ (with 1 brother staying with us and the family close by) in PHIL 32,000 PHP. Quality of comforts has gone DOWN (only A/C at night now) for me but quality of life has gone UP (I have 400-2000 new relatives) and I LOVE IT. Hope someone might find that useful; I'm just sorry I can't convert WHERE I came from for you. :hystery:

• Like 1

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted

Cost of a fantastic, Black Angus, sirloin steak in a grocery store in Edmonton, Alberta . . just bought one and bbqued it . . about $3 CDN mmmmmmmmmm was gooooooooooood

Cost of a Black Angus, sirloin steak on Biliran Island, Philippines . . PRICELESS!

How you live determines your costs more than where you live.

That same steak in Texas is now $20. How can Canada charge so little for Angus beef?

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

They sneak across the boarder into the US at night and rustle them ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

They sneak across the boarder into the US at night and rustle them ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Haha Mike just wait till Bob reads this fireworks maybe or is he in on it?mmmmm
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mike! Stop telling our secrets! :mocking:

Actually we have a very large Angus Beef problem in our country - they are everywhere! Alberta is also known as a major beef producing area (hey! It's the prairies!) But a good Angus steak where I am from will cost $25 too! Much of this depends on the cut and also on how intense the market is.

Did you ever watch the old movie "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"? The scene where they jumped to avoid capture and were thought to have died? The actual location of that is in Saskatchewan (another western Canadian province) in an area known as the "Big Muddy" and just north of the US border. And also known as a area to hide rustled cattle... :mocking:

• Like 1