Cost of Living In The Philippines

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
Is that US dollars or AU

Who the hell cares? :mocking: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: You want me to post it in Ringit maybe?

GB pounds would be nice I run out of fingers before I can convert $ to £
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

Have you tried using your toes as well? or how about when you do this calculation try sitting next to Sim, then you'll have extra didgits to play with.

Oh what would you do without your Kuya?

$250 AUD = 155GBP

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Have you tried using your toes as well? or how about when you do this calculation try sitting next to Sim, then you'll have extra didgits to play with.

Oh what would you do without your Kuya?

$250 AUD = 155GBP

I am not taking my shoes off, who would do the laces up when I want to put them back on? Kuya is not here yet!
  • Like 1

Brad616
Posted
Posted

Thank you for this post. Allready spouse and I will be arguing over how close to be to her family :unsure:

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I am not taking my shoes off, who would do the laces up when I want to put them back on? Kuya is not here yet!

Trust me...............i don't want to be around when you take your shoes off! :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Tourists convert just to see if they are getting ripped off or a cost comparison, Residents should live by the currency we have The Peso easy.! if that is not good enough what the heck are you doing here.

• Like 3

mariposa
Posted
Posted (edited)

well boys... often expats and someone who want to live here in PI ask how much will it cost for them to live in here. Answer is just simple..... IT DEPENDS ON YOUR LIFE STYLE!

Edited by ekonomizta

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I like the idea that the OP put down the cost of common things that people are bound to use no matter what their life style ..... this will give you a ballpark comparison to what you can expect to pay ..... somethings like electricity cost (even though you know the cost per KW) is not going to help a whole lot because you won't know how much you will use till you get here and try it ..... some can live with and some without and some think they can live without aircon (the biggest single cost of electricity) ..... cable and DSL cost is fixed so can be used as a base ..... cost of taxis ... jeepney's and tricycles are pretty much standard as are ships and airplanes .....

So I feel a lot of base info can be obtained by viewing the information about budgets on these boards and can be applied to each individual ...... costs like housing .... eating out ........entertainment ... owning your own transportation and furnishings will depend on your lifestyle and can't be forecasted with any degree of accuracy ..... IMHO .. :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I rent a 3 bedroom house with 2 air conditioners. 15,000 pesos. ( $350 )

My grocery bill is 17,000 pesos ( $400 ) . I eat very good and lots of family always drop around at

supper time.

My electric bill is around 8,000 pesos ( $190 ) . I have the airconditioner on when ever I am in the

house.

Internet is 1,000 pesos ( $24 ) and tv is 750 pesos ( $18 ) (22 channels).

Taxi a month is around 4,500 pesos ( $106 )

Maid is 2,000 pesos ( $48 ) and cell phone load 500 pesos ( $12 )

Misc and savings 20,000 pesos ( $470 ) .

Total 69,000 ( around 1600 us )

I have a line of credit and visa for emergencies.

IN CANADA ( I live 6 months in Canada and 6 months in the Philippines )

Mortgage $700 ( My house in about 50% bigger than the one I rent )

Groceries $450

Electric $230

Internet and TV $140 ( internet is 10x faster and I get over 400 channels and HD )

Car Cost $350 ( insurance and gas )

Cell $40 No maid

Misc and Savings $600

In Canada healthcare is free

Total $2510

This is to show a comparison.

One big difference I found is when you go to a place like a resort to swim, In the Philippines I will be

paying for a lot of the family where in Canada it would only be me. Kids birthdays are more expensive

as we feed the whole family. For an example for my wifes birthday we went to a resort with a pool and

the cost to get in was 40 pesos x 37 family members plus the 2 jeepneys to bring them and all the food

and boose. Seeing those smiling laughing faces makes it worth while.

I married into a poor family so others situation might be different. My life in Canada is a good life but

my life in the Philippines is different in a good way. I would not trade my family for anything

Thankyou SJP52, this to me is a more informative post, giving a direct comparison for your lifestyle residing in Canada and residing in the Philippines. As i know costs in Canada and Australia are very similar it doesn't surprise me to see the drop in costs when you are living in the Philippines.

• Like 4