Cost of Living In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

PhilDiver - excellent post! I can understand what Jim is trying to say though. We are talking about the Philippines and on a site that is international. If prices were posted in pesos, everybody could easily convert to their own currency. When we have to convert more than once (online money conversion apps) there is usually quite an error built in. Using the currency of the place in question just makes it easier overall for everybody. Other than that - an excellent post!

Just to have a little fun.... Someone suggested that $ = USD but it actually means dollar. And I"ll give 10 centavos to the first person who can correctly answer which country was the first to use the dollar as their currency... (wonder if anyone will get this one right?)

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but I found the post insulting.

This board is not just for people from your country.

Why didn't you post the information in currencies and units of measure used in the Philippines?

Also, what currency were you giving examples in? Is that Afghanistan dollars?

Regards: Jim

Hi Jim. This post was mostly for people who do not live in the Philippines and interested in costs so using Philippine Peso would not have been practical.

Thankyou

However, I still disagree.

This is an international board. You have made your post useful only to citizens of the USA.

I presume all the costs were originally given to you in pisos and you converted them. My contention is they should have been left alone and posted in pisos.

If anyone wants to convert to their currency, they can use a website such as this

http://www.xe.com/ucc

Duma
Posted
Posted

Everybody has different wants and needs. So its very hard to to find the average cost of living here. I been here way to long lol

We do own our house so that's no factored into the monthly cost. For us including elec, water, food, petrol, entertainment in Dgte etc expenses 1,200php per day or about 36,000php month. We don't live high on the hog but quite comfortable

I used peso because I haven't got a clue what foreign currency that amounts too.......When you have been here long enough and we work and get paid in peso and our costs our in peso. I never convert back to dollars as I have got no need for them here.

• Like 1

phildiver
Posted
Posted

Sorry, but I found the post insulting.

This board is not just for people from your country.

Why didn't you post the information in currencies and units of measure used in the Philippines?

Also, what currency were you giving examples in? Is that Afghanistan dollars?

Funny, but the last time I checked, the little "$" indicates USD.

Great synopsis by the OP, although as obtuse as any post I've seen on the topic. So I can live on between $2,000 - $10,000 per month in the PI. Tell me something I didn't know already.

If it bothers you so much Jim how about this. Covert the US Dollar prices to Philippine Pesos using a 42.25 exchange rate (The rate I used) and then repost the article using Philippine Pesos. You can even take credit for it. That should hopefuly satisfy you and everyone else fixated on this detail.

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

.......LCD prices can be more than double than in the U.S.A.

.......as of 5/12/2012 with the dollar exchange rate of 42.25p/$

.......same lifestyle would cost living in a Major U.S.A. City like New York.

.......a fraction of the cost in the U.S.A.

Hello Phildiver,

First of all, allow me to welcome you to our forum. At first when I saw your post waiting for approval, I wanted to call

Jollygoodfellow (Boss) because you initially attached a link to you blog. Normally new members do not have that

privilege. Apparently the Boss did approve it while I was waiting for his decision.

OK, let's get down to business at hand. Your extensive survey of comparing different expat's background (single to

family) and living in various locations is very noteworthy. We appreciate your efforts and will no doubt, assist other

expats to make a more intelligent decision regarding cost of living.

I took the liberty of dissecting your OP above to highlight a few references concerning what foreign currency you

were using. With my limited understanding of written English, you made it clear it was based on US dollars.

Thank you sir -- hope we will hear from you again, respectfully -- Jake

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Lets move on about what currency is used, the world wont end over it I'm sure. :)

• Like 4

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

so I guess from now on if I list a currency amount I must do it in 186 different currencies ...... in your dreams ....... the OP put a lot of work into his post TRYING to help other people and all it seems he got for his effort is to be criticize ...... do I see somethings wrong YES ..... but not significant enough to pitch a fit over

On a Philippines forum, it should be Philippines Pisos.

Since you want to make this a board just for Americans, I will now take the owners advice and move on.

Good bye

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

May I suggest that it be done in Philippine Pesos? This way, it is the actual primary cost of living here and all one has to do is divide the peso figure by their respective exchange rate for their currency and voila. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

so I guess from now on if I list a currency amount I must do it in 186 different currencies ...... in your dreams ....... the OP put a lot of work into his post TRYING to help other people and all it seems he got for his effort is to be criticize ...... do I see somethings wrong YES ..... but not significant enough to pitch a fit over

On a Philippines forum, it should be Philippines Pisos.

Since you want to make this a board just for Americans, I will now take the owners advice and move on.

Good bye

Hello Jim,

Tom did nothing of the sort about suggesting that you move on. Please reconsider your decision.

Respectfully -- Jake