Retirement

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Jack, I know your feelings well. My last official day was April 6th and the last 2 months have been full of mixed emotions. Work was my life and now I am starting a new life. My girlfriend has been here with me for the last month and honestly it would have been very tough to bear all of this without her support.

• Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Jack, I know your feelings well. My last official day was April 6th and the last 2 months have been full of mixed emotions. Work was my life and now I am starting a new life. My girlfriend has been here with me for the last month and honestly it would have been very tough to bear all of this without her support.

I am Hoping, that once I am home, with the family I will get over it all. Like you, I am glad that there is someone to share the ups and downs with. Hope all goes well for you. I am pleased to hear that it is not just me, as my Signature says, lets live the life we got. Life is to short to worry but it is all so new to me :)

Regards Jack P :tiphat:

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

My last day of work when I left the Air Force was hard... After all the goodbyes and handshaking, I got in my car and started to drive home... And had to pull over 5 minutes down the road from the tears blinding me...

11 months and 2 weeks later, I had to return to the base to complete my paperwork for my retirement - yeah, I had a bit of leave to burn off before I could finally say it was official... I felt so strange being there but no real sadness... I think I can attribute that to not seeing anyone else I knew...

After 5 more years and my marriage was over, I had my last day at my store... It was a family owned business and unfortunately I only owned one share while my ex and her parents owned 3... I was laughing and skipping my way down the parking lot to the nearest pub to celebrate!!!

I guess it's all in the perspective for when you leave a job!

:mocking:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

My last day of work when I left the Air Force was hard... After all the goodbyes and handshaking, I got in my car and started to drive home... And had to pull over 5 minutes down the road from the tears blinding me...

11 months and 2 weeks later, I had to return to the base to complete my paperwork for my retirement - yeah, I had a bit of leave to burn off before I could finally say it was official... I felt so strange being there but no real sadness... I think I can attribute that to not seeing anyone else I knew...

After 5 more years and my marriage was over, I had my last day at my store... It was a family owned business and unfortunately I only owned one share while my ex and her parents owned 3... I was laughing and skipping my way down the parking lot to the nearest pub to celebrate!!!

I guess it's all in the perspective for when you leave a job!

:mocking:

:unsure: I think it is more the way, I have left, that is getting to me. But That's life, I have to move on. I am good at telling others to do this. Time I took my own advice :)

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well you guys were more fortunate than me ..... I was a bit sad at leaving some good friends but not my job ..... I spent the last 2 years of 12 years fighting off a*s-holes wanting my job and trying almost anything to get it .... not so much the position but the money as there was no advancement and the raises were tied to a % of your salary and only by advancing did you get a descent salary increase .......as far as leaving the US I can honestly say I was excited I had had enough of the BS with living there and only to happy to leave ...... I have never in almost 5 years regretted anything about my move to the Philippines except that I wish I could have been able to do it financially much sooner ..... funny thing about some people you thought were friends ..... only ONE guy I worked with still keeps in contact with me ..... the rest have faded into the sunset ..... must be the old adage ..."out of sight ... out of mind" ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ...... but I'm not sad ..... I learned many years ago to just rely on myself and my partner ...... :dance:

• Like 5

bows00
Posted
Posted

Hey Mike,

Let me be the first to say "Yaaahh Hooo Baby!" From my perspective, you are soooo lucky! I have been doing nothing but thinking forward to that time I can walk away from my job and start my second life there. I envy you my brother.

But with that said, I can see how much tougher it is when you are faced with the finality of it all... yeah, I hear you man, because for me, it will be like walking out of a place I spent the majority of my adult life, at least 40 hours every week for the last 36 years - for the final time - never to return. And like you, I am a people person... I will miss all the interpersonal experiences with my coleagues... so yes, it is much tougher than I am portraying it to be. But I hope I will not get as emotional when the time comes because I will be focusing on my prize. FREEDOM TO THE PHILIPPINES!

Happy for you man. And congratulations!

• Like 3

bows00
Posted
Posted

Hey Mike,

Let me be the first to say "Yaaahh Hooo Baby!" From my perspective, you are soooo lucky! I have been doing nothing but thinking forward to that time I can walk away from my job and start my second life there. I envy you my brother.

But with that said, I can see how much tougher it is when you are faced with the finality of it all... yeah, I hear you man, because for me, it will be like walking out of a place I spent the majority of my adult life, at least 40 hours every week for the last 36 years - for the final time - never to return. And like you, I am a people person... I will miss all the interpersonal experiences with my coleagues... so yes, it is much tougher than I am portraying it to be. But I hope I will not get as emotional when the time comes because I will be focusing on my prize. FREEDOM TO THE PHILIPPINES!

Happy for you man. And congratulations!

Oops, sorry, my bad... this thread was meant for Jack, not Mike...no wait... maybe both... whatever...

• Like 4

dalidali
Posted
Posted

Congratulations on your retirement.

It is a day of wonder and sadness all rolled into one.

dalidali

• Like 1