Foreigner With No Return Ticket

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)

OK, this is important for those, like me, who need to renew my tourist visa on Tuesday. My exit ticket has been thrown away (date has come and gone) so will I need another exit ticket and for how far in advance and are they enforcing it for individuals or are most people saying they forgot it at home?

(Are they trying to get us foreigners to get married in order to stay here or just get us to leave?)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Sorry to ruin your day, but about 3 weeks ago Immigration introduced a rule that they would not renew any visa without proof of an outbound ticket.

Not sure if this applies to individuals but it certainly applies to agents.

That will certainly make it hard for most. :89:

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

OK, this is important for those, like me, who need to renew my tourist visa on Tuesday. My exit ticket has been thrown away (date has come and gone) so will I need another exit ticket and for how far in advance and are they enforcing it for individuals or are most people saying they forgot it at home?

(Are they trying to get us foreigners to get married in order to stay here or just get us to leave?)

Dave,

I can't speak for the rules applied to individuals like you, only the rules being applied to agents.

Our agency got a visa today with a ticket for February next year - it is too early for me to tell you the EXACT rules.

• Like 1

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Sorry to ruin your day, but about 3 weeks ago Immigration introduced a rule that they would not renew any visa without proof of an outbound ticket.

when I got my turn the Officer said sorry for the wait took one look at my passport smiled at me stamped it

r

Which should be no problem . A return ticket is the same price as one way from Canada . The OP suggested it had to within 21 days ? Good to know I should bring my ticket with me when I extend my Visa .

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Pee-pee on a bunch of hear say. I followed Paul's advice & have a Delta return ticket 19-20 days after I land in the P.I.

He & Elsa are pro's and thats what I pay for....solid, lawful advice.

I have confirmed and am allowed to change my return ticket at anytime. Hence, any visa extensions thru B.I. that is required, I'll get a " throw away " ticket & save the Delta for the real return to the U.S.A. Did it cost more...Yes.

However, somethings I'll chance a bit to save a few peso's but not this. Same with travel & medical / dental insurance. Sucks because my retired Public Servant health insurance is good but NOT in the P.I.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Dave, I can't speak for the rules applied to individuals like you, only the rules being applied to agents.

Being the good 'people person' that you are, I have no doubt you pointed out that tourist are allowed to stay up to 16 months with a no hassle policy but airlines will only book tickets up to some point less than a year down the road. What was their response?

I am also curious if they realize that airlines do, on occasion, go broke or change their routes over such a long course of time. Was any mention made of a claim policy in the event that tourists, who are forced to do this, lose money?

I have to admit to a mild state of whathefvck because I have no trouble entering developed countries like England, Canada, US and Hong Kong without any kind of exit ticket but some hole in the wall, backwards government wants to be sure I am leaving before I even get there.

I have thought about marrying my live in spouse to get the visa but the idea of doing that does not sit well. None of the other plans offered by BI benefit me as much as the tourist visa. I hate to say it, but living in the Philippines is getting to have as many pros and cons as living in Canada. In short, its a toss up which is better.

On the bright side, this will encourage folks like me to take a more serious look at other places in SE Asia that may be great second homes (ie 6 months here and a month in Thailand, rinse and repeat)

• Like 1

adventureguy
Posted
Posted

On the bright side, this will encourage folks like me to take a more serious look at other places in SE Asia that may be great second homes (ie 6 months here and a month in Thailand, rinse and repeat)

Amen brother!

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

I'll admit, I have reservations after talking with some friends who have been bouncing back to the P.I. from the war zone in the sand box for about the last 3-5 years ( R & R ; They fly their wives to meet them in manila and travel from there for months at a time )

They said Vietnam, Thailand and a few other places were far better & safer. Infrastructure was better and law enforcement / military was not as corrupt towards Europeans or Americans.

Still, I will make a judgement after I have been there a while. I expect I'll be as pleased as anyone here.

• Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted

For info..... I made a mistake when booking my flight and my return ticket was for 22 days not 21, no ticket in hand and no comment at Manila on arrival, I took a print out of my booking confirmation (no physical ticket) to the BOI just in case but had no problem getting my 59 day visa. That was in Davao and not Cebu.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Just to point out to everyone that this thread is taking a different direction from where it started and Paul is letting us know about renewing the tourist visa, not what happens on entry to the Philippines.