Philippine Retirement Authority

phildiver
Posted
Posted (edited)

BRAIN DEAD NEWS

Vol III Issue VI

life with and about Filipinos

The Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA) gets the nod today. This is one of the most stupidly run agencies the Philippines has to offer. They try and promote this Country as a haven for retirees and then treat sincere applicants like crap!!! Case in point. The PRA offers a Retirement Visa to a person over 50 years of age that makes either a time deposit of $20,000 without a pension or $10,000 with a Pension OR makes at least a $50,000 investment in a Condominium purchase and can show a monthly pension of $800. Now I have a friend that accomplished the requirement but did not make the application for the Retirement Visa until after she had bought and renovated her condominium and has thus been denied. The reason being she didn't apply first and the PRA can't get their head out of their collective butts and around the fact she still accomplished their requirements and more so. Now this is just stupid. She invested well over $100,000 in the Condo purchase ($50k more than the minimum investment) and then another $25,000+ in renovating the Condo which included putting a number of Filipinos to work for a number of months and she also keeps a substantial amount of money in Filipino Banks. And this is how she is rewarded. F'ing IDIOTS!!! at the PRA.

Even more frustrating is the fact this person is my 74 year old mother and absolutely loves the Philippines and promotes it to all her friends around the World as a fabulous place to be and live. Sorry mom they treat you like this.

Edited by phildiver
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
F'ing IDIOTS!!! at the PRA

yes indeed,

STUPDITY,Lack of common sense.(or ones head up in the anal area)

Lack of an Intelligence IS MORE PREVALANT (fun) IN THE PHILIPPINES,

phildriver I totally agree with you on this issue, that some. cant or dont have the ability to make a decision,

thanks for sharing this story with us. so we can be more aware of a possible,how ever remote setback/delay/denial in our quest to settle down in "our" new home w/our loved ones or families

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

You will find that most here simply lack the basic common sense analytical skills needed for decisions. When things are not in the exact established parameters set for them to follow, they are incapable of dealing with it. They are essensially not much more than robots only able to do what they were programmed to do. They are incapable of independent thinking. Sorry if this sounds negative but it's what I've dealt with for 5 years.

• Like 2

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

She didn't apply first. This isn't a Philippines problem, it happens everywhere. Why is it so difficult to follow procedure?

• Like 2

phildiver
Posted
Posted (edited)

She didn't apply first. This isn't a Philippines problem, it happens everywhere. Why is it so difficult to follow procedure?

Yes , I understand your point and it is valid HOWEVER, there were other unavoidable issues involved. For one thing, she had to act quickly on the Condo purchase. Nevertheless, from a purely common sense angle, what difference does it make before or after. Yes I understand the procedure but the ultimate action was taken on her part. This Country has it perenial head up its butt!!! in so many things. This is just another example.

Edited by phildiver
  • Like 1

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Yes , I understand your point and it is valid HOWEVER, there were other unavoidable issues involved. For one thing, she had to act quickly on the Condo purchase. Nevertheless, from a purely common sense angle, what difference does it make before or after. Yes I understand the procedure but the ultimate action was taken on her part. This Country has it perenial head up its butt!!! in so many things. This is just another example.

They already have your money.

Advice to newbies, follow procedure, it'll save being ironic about common sense after the event.

• Like 1

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Sad story for sure but I would suspect that like so many others problems in the Philippines, a donation to the right pocket will fix the problem.

• Like 4

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted (edited)

I did feel a little guilty about my responses and feel the 'forum' maybe needs a little more explanation.

My initial reaction to OP was I didn't think much of his attack/rant. Whilst I can understand OP was disappointed, he had no right to bring his anger without proof.

The fact the 'victim' was his 74yr old mom is irrelevant, it could happen to any 74yr old. I've also noted the original post has been edited since my reply, which may or may not have altered my views.

My instinct was the 'mom' was poorly advised. Why would anybody buy a home in a foreign country knowing they don't have residency rights (of course some do but they should understand the risks)? There's further stuff I could comment on but it has been edited. Again, it was all irrelevant.

I don't pretend to be an expert on PRA, I've had no reason to. That doesn't mean I don't read bits and pieces.

My understanding is Philippines is either willing or obligated to accept 'x' amount of new 'alien' residencies per year (it varies by country). There is absolutely no guarantee you will be granted for merely fulfilling the criteria. It's competitive, that's my understanding.

Note to OP, your anger is better aimed towards whom advised your mom. I also liked Garpo's post for a very good reason, rightly or wrongly.

Edited by Ruddy_Rooster
  • Like 2

phildiver
Posted
Posted

I did feel a little guilty about my responses and feel the 'forum' maybe needs a little more explanation.

My initial reaction to OP was I didn't think much of his attack/rant. Whilst I can understand OP was disappointed, he had no right to bring his anger without proof.

The fact the 'victim' was his 74yr old mom is irrelevant, it could happen to any 74yr old. I've also noted the original post has been edited since my reply, which may or may not have altered my views.

My instinct was the 'mom' was poorly advised. Why would anybody buy a home in a foreign country knowing they don't have residency rights (of course some do but they should understand the risks)? There's further stuff I could comment on but it has been edited. Again, it was all irrelevant.

I don't pretend to be an expert on PRA, I've had no reason to. That doesn't mean I don't read bits and pieces.

My understanding is Philippines is either willing or obligated to accept 'x' amount of new 'alien' residencies per year (it varies by country). There is absolutely no guarantee you will be granted for merely fulfilling the criteria. It's competitive, that's my understanding.

Note to OP, your anger is better aimed towards whom advised your mom. I also liked Garpo's post for a very good reason, rightly or wrongly.

Ready for some buttons to be pushed LOL

Don't feel guilty Ruddy. I look at is as yet another comment from the expert gallery living abroad. Sorry but that is my opinion like it or not. And RuddyRooster my anger is mine to direct at who I feel warrants it and the PRA warrants it.

Ask yourself why do people need fixers or paying off people to get things done here? Generally because the rules regarding those issues are stupid and unjust!!! The fact I would even need to go that route and pay people would be a reflection on the backwardness of this place to begin with. Whether I do or don't is irrelevant. Make no mistake I love living in the Philippines mostly because I avoid probably 95% of Filipinos I encounter and I have no shame in saying that either. Call me a snob but it is based on experience over many years. Mind you this is not a racial issue but one of intelligence and common sense.

As for my Mothers circumstances, I can't imagine they would have a denial in the first place is just because she put the Cart Before the Horse and bought the condo before making the application. I mean I am sure there are people that buy vacation condos for example on Boracay or other resort areas just to stay in for a month out of the year and then for whatever reason down the road decide they would like to live here on a permanent basis. So what then? They too don't have the opportunity to trade their tourist Visa for a Retirement one. Absolute INSANITY and STUPIDITY on part of Government here and mostly for simple economic terms!!!. Well then again, this is how this Country operates most of the time. I mean What is the Motivation? Is it from additional fees. Ok, let's look at fees collected. Under a Tourist Visa the Government would take in $581 annually. Under her Retirement Visa they would receive $360 in fees annually. So that is only $221 more each year for the Tourist Visa. Does that seem like enough of a valid incentive? I don't think so. It becomes even more absurd when you remember that under the Tourist Visa she would have to leave the Country every 16 months. Ok so let’s assume a trip like that would be $500 or more? (forget this RT to HK for $100 in six hour business) Well that is $500 or more that she would not be spending in the Philippines. You see where I'm going with this. The bottom line is the "Powers That Be" behind the PRA HAVE S_ _T FOR BRAINS!!!

I have no doubt there will be a positive outcome in all this for Mom but the fact she has to deal with this crap is terrible. I am sorry if I have offended anyone here but i don't like people picking on my Mom LOL

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Ready for some buttons to be pushed LOL

Don't feel guilty Ruddy. I look at is as yet another comment from the expert gallery living abroad. Sorry but that is my opinion like it or not. And RuddyRooster my anger is mine to direct at who I feel warrants it and the PRA warrants it.

Ask yourself why do people need fixers or paying off people to get things done here? Generally because the rules regarding those issues are stupid and unjust!!! The fact I would even need to go that route and pay people would be a reflection on the backwardness of this place to begin with. Whether I do or don't is irrelevant. Make no mistake I love living in the Philippines mostly because I avoid probably 95% of Filipinos I encounter and I have no shame in saying that either. Call me a snob but it is based on experience over many years. Mind you this is not a racial issue but one of intelligence and common sense.

As for my Mothers circumstances, I can't imagine they would have a denial in the first place is just because she put the Cart Before the Horse and bought the condo before making the application. I mean I am sure there are people that buy vacation condos for example on Boracay or other resort areas just to stay in for a month out of the year and then for whatever reason down the road decide they would like to live here on a permanent basis. So what then? They too don't have the opportunity to trade their tourist Visa for a Retirement one. Absolute INSANITY and STUPIDITY on part of Government here and mostly for simple economic terms!!!. Well then again, this is how this Country operates most of the time. I mean What is the Motivation? Is it from additional fees. Ok, let's look at fees collected. Under a Tourist Visa the Government would take in $581 annually. Under her Retirement Visa they would receive $360 in fees annually. So that is only $221 more each year for the Tourist Visa. Does that seem like enough of a valid incentive? I don't think so. It becomes even more absurd when you remember that under the Tourist Visa she would have to leave the Country every 16 months. Ok so let’s assume a trip like that would be $500 or more? (forget this RT to HK for $100 in six hour business) Well that is $500 or more that she would not be spending in the Philippines. You see where I'm going with this. The bottom line is the "Powers That Be" behind the PRA HAVE S_ _T FOR BRAINS!!!

I have no doubt there will be a positive outcome in all this for Mom but the fact she has to deal with this crap is terrible. I am sorry if I have offended anyone here but i don't like people picking on my Mom LOL

Do I have to respond?

I'll look at your initial LOL as meh. All that typing but you had nothing to say.

I don't know everything, I'm here asking questions on this forum, I'm certainly no "expert gallery living abroad". Direct your anger at me if it feels better, it's equally misplaced.

Why do people need fixers?, we all know the answer, like marmite, love it or hate it. The fact you refuse to go that route is a reflection on your ignorance. You're not at home ffs. If you want Texas, stay there! You love 95% Filipinos, get used to the fact 5% run things. You will enjoy it more :)

Forget the cart before the horse, nobody was steering the damn horse. Mistakes were made. Yes people buy condos, at a risk and more people lose than they gain, Mabuhay!. You carry on about INSANITY and STUPIDITY, how the Filipinos must be laughing. You're wrong, not them!

You're angry, nobody else is. Sometimes you have to accept things as they are. You're not at home, learn how to live abroad!

Apologies for all the bold text, I couldn't change it.