What Id To Carry ?

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

In a previous topic, it was discussed ..

WHAT ID TO CARRY?

since its been a while, I thought it would be good to Reopen this topic as we have many new members since last year

2 members suggested

I just carry my TIN ID card & NBI renewal card>.

My ACR CARD usually is left at home, so it would not be lost

As far as carrying any required ID's (LTO drivers license, ACR or passport), I would rather laser copy all of those and get them laminated tolook like the originals.

What would you carry?

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted

I know it is law that you should always carry your passport and not a copy, But how can you do that when some hotels i and hire firms insist that you leave them as security .

MikeB
Posted
Posted

I know it is law that you should always carry your passport and not a copy, But how can you do that when some hotels i and hire firms insist that you leave them as security .

There's a lot of debate on that, from what I have read it depends on the law of the country you are visiting. You are legally required to have valid ID, in the US a state-issued driver's license is considered valid but other countries do not accept that as a valid ID. Not surprisingly, I could not find the law in the Philippines for this. Unless I was traveling or had a specific need for it I would never carry a passport around. For IDs, I carry my US and Philippines driver's licenses usually. Very occasionally I've been asked for ID when using a credit card and that has sufficed so far.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Most countries will tell you are to keep control of your passport at all times and that it is illegal to leave your passport with someone outside of your control - ie: giving your passport to the hotel or hire firms. This is actually the most popular way for amateur passport forgers to get their hands on one.

• Like 5

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I carry a "throw away" wallet containing a small amount of money; an expired driver's license; and expired credit cards. This limits the amount that a pickpocket or mugger will get from me and the remaining items are worthless. Building security and gated community guards never check the expiration date on a foreign driver's license. If I forget to collect the expired driver's license upon exiting, it is not a major loss. If a security should ever question validity, which so far has never happened, it becomes an, "Oops!" moment and I produce the valid one.

You do need a valid identity card (which I keep elsewhere with my money if needed) for the police and other government officials. Having the passport in your immediate possession is not necessary, but it should be accessible within a reasonable amount of time. You can't be in Cebu and claim the passport is in Manila. Keeping it at home nearby is considered reasonable.

I agree this is a gray area because there are no written rules on this issue by Philippine authorities.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I carry a laminated copy of both my passport and ACR I card ...... with copies of both sides of the ACR I card and the 1st and last page (13a stamp) of my passport ..... at least if i get stopped by the cops or other governmental agency they can see they are copies and that the originals are at home ...... I have used the ACR I card as verified ID for Philhealth ..... plane tickets and credit card vitrifaction ...... never had a problem with either ID ...... :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted

So far I have used my RP license for most places and on occasion my ACR-I card. No one has asked for my passport yet but then again, I'm a 13A resident so tourists (9A) maybe different.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

I knew I had read it somewere, This is an old piece, So not sure if it still applies or not...

So, why is it necessary to have an ACR? Well, first off, it is the law. As a foreigner, if you are in the Philippines over 59 days, you must register with the police (This is done through immigration). The ACR indicates that you have complied with the law. Foreigners are also required to carry their passport on their person at all times. Get stopped by the police, and you don’t have your passport on you, and you can be prepared to wait at a police station, or jail, until it is brought, along with paying a fine or facing deportation. Though rarely enforced, there have been incidences where foreigners have been deported for not carrying a passport, sometimes merely by being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The ACR relieves you of this necessity. It looks like a credit card and you simply keep it in your wallet. The police and others accept the ACR as proof of status. Many airlines will also ask to see the ACR before allowing you to board a flight without a return ticket, you need to present it to immigration when leaving (and paying the exit tax), and you need to present the card on arrival with your passport. On the annual report to immigration, the card must be presented. If you move during your residency, you are required to notify immigration within 30 days, and your new address registered with the NBI and BI.

• Like 4

MikeB
Posted
Posted
I knew I had read it somewere, This is an old piece, So not sure if it still applies or not.

Do you have the source for this?

brock
Posted
Posted

I googled it Mike