What Id To Carry ?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I know it is law that you should always carry your passport and not a copy, But how can you do that when some hotels i and hire firms insist that you leave them as security .

Most countries will tell you are to keep control of your passport at all times and that it is illegal to leave your passport with someone outside of your control - ie: giving your passport to the hotel or hire firms. This is actually the most popular way for amateur passport forgers to get their hands on one.

I always carry Copies of my passport in the passport case, I will never ever let it out of my site, When Checking into a hotel, I let them see the Original and when they say I need a copy. I ask where is the copier? if not in Reception then I give them a Copy I have

• Like 3

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Some great advice here. I've always been ignorant on previous visits and carried no ID (I've never stayed beyond 59 days). I just hate carrying important documents, especially when not needed. That said rules are rules.

Can I just get confirmed that a 'copy' of one's passport is the page that includes your mugshot?

• Like 2

Ruddy_Rooster
Posted
Posted

Yes RR ..... it is your picture page and also take one of your most resent visa stamp (if you have one .... mine is the stamp showing my 13a) ...... put them back to back and laminate them .... if you take it to any of the National Book Store's they are quite familiar with how to do it .... they can also re-size it if you want...... everyone here from school kids to grown-ups usually laminate their ID's and cards ..... it is such a PITA to have the originals replaced if stolen or lost .......

Thanks. Yes carrying the originals everywhere would be out of the question for me. I will make the effort to get copies done in future though.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I can see it now...

Everybody gets their copies done and then leave the originals at home...

And then a rash of B&Es occur!

Leave the originals at home in somewhere safe!!!

• Like 2

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

First time I rented a car in Davao they wanted to hold my Passport and California Drivers. No way would I hand over the drivers "another forum"ense.

Not this is funny, I am previewing my post and it will not let me type "License". Puts in "another forum"

• Like 2

• 11 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

since I started this topic last year, I rarely carry my "ACR card" only when transacting w/BI or other  government

business issues,

as i stated usually my TIN card .an old "NBI renewal card"

POSTAL ID or the SSS ID,

not all at same time as not to lose them.

For the newer members what ID do you carry?

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well sense my last post last year i now carry my Philippine drivers license ...... but everything else remains the same .... sorry not a newer member ... just one of the ol' utot .... (fart) ..... :mocking: :mocking:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I carry an expired driver's license in my fake wallet. This is for situations when security guards demand your i.d. before entering a building. When you renew your American passport, you can request for a passport card for border crossing to Canada or Mexico. The size is similar to a driver's license. It is not valid for air travel. For banks and other occasions requiring a valid identity card in the Philippines, I use the passport card. If they look dubious, my explanation is the passport card is a new, hi-tech replacement for the old one.

"Didn't you get an office memo about the new American passport?" Rather than appearing ignorant, the passport card is accepted. If my wallet is stolen, the real passport is in a secured location. If the real passport is stolen, I can probably use the passport card as an i.d. at the US Embassy.