What Id To Carry ?

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)

I only carry my RP DL (with it's receipt), ACR I Card (Tourist) and my Subic Freeport ID. I keep my passport safely locked away at home. Before I had the ACR I only carried a copy of my passport (bio page + visa stamp).

I would never hand over my passport to anybody that does not work in immigration. I have ran into the hotels that want to hold your passport. I do like one of the other posters, I have a copy ready if they can't make a copy of it. None of them ever gave me flack about that. 

The new passport card is not an option for me as I travel extensively throughout the EU and Asia.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

ACR-I card is all I carry.  If I wasn't wanting an ID in case they asked for one when using a credit card I would not worry about it.  That is just me though, not the legally correct thing to do.  I just don't get into those situations where I need identification.  It is where it can be retrieved if need be and I don't mind hanging out at the police station or where ever they want to entertain me while we wait for it.

:tiphat:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I just don't get into those situations where I need identification.

Hmmm Similar to what jj posted, when I needed to get into the Cathay Pacific office building near Ayala Cebu I had to leave my id with the door guard and get a visitor pass.  How do you avoid that if you want to go ask them about your lost luggage (for example)

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Only ID I carry is my ACR-I card (tourist).  I have never carried my passport except when needed for bank or immigration. 

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I just don't get into those situations where I need identification.

Hmmm Similar to what jj posted, when I needed to get into the Cathay Pacific office building near Ayala Cebu I had to leave my id with the door guard and get a visitor pass.  How do you avoid that if you want to go ask them about your lost luggage (for example)

In the example I would figure ahead of time that someone may want to see identification and I would carry ACR-I with me, like I do when I may use a credit card.  As stated in the rest of that post my statement was an excerpt from, "ACR-I card is all I carry.  If I wasn't wanting an ID in case they asked for one when using a credit card I would not worry about it." If playing semantics delete "when using a credit card"

The rest of the story:  Whenever I am with my girl I will generally have that card because it is in her purse.  Ever since I "lost" my wallet in Manila I carry next to nothing in my pockets.  If I go out walking (usually 5-7 km every few days) I do not carry anything but a few pesos in case I want ice cream or a taxi back home.  So far: ice cream 50% of the time and taxi 0%. :mocking:

Now some may say that is stupid.  What if _______?  I don't have plans for all the contingencies that MAY happen.  Life is too short to make it that complicated.  I used to make sure I had the phone # to my girl in my pocket in case something happened and I ended up unconscious or unable to remember the number or ..... whatever.  Too much effort planning for all the bad things will ruin the good.  I was on that paranoid road, even had medicine to prove it.  I don't do that anymore. I make sure someone that cares about me know where I will go and about how long I'll be gone. 

With all that said, remember that just because you are paranoid does not mean that everyone isn't out to get you. :tiphat:

edit: I don't carry a cell phone either, as I do not own one.

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
The new passport card is not an option for me as I travel extensively throughout the EU and Asia.

The passport card is only accepted for Canada and Mexico border crossing. It cost something like $10 extra when you renew a regular passport. It looks very official and is therefore useful in certain situations like a security guard demanding an i.d. to enter a building.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

The passport card is only accepted for Canada and Mexico border crossing. It cost something like $10 extra when you renew a regular passport. It looks very official and is therefore useful in certain situations like a security guard demanding an i.d. to enter a building.

I also laser and double laminate copies of the photo and visa page of my passport.  Often times however,

I forget to take it out of my pocket before swimming.  Perhaps this new Passport Card is more waterproof:

post-686-0-33557200-1373261358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jake

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted
my Subic Freeport ID

Could you explain what the"SUBIC FREEPORT ID " is?

ACR-I card is all I carry.

have you thought of just a photocopy while your doing "LOCAL"errands or other ID?

yes waiting in the local police station could be an EYE OPENER experience. (i mean that in a good way)

To all who have read or posted,

thanks

I have hope that its been helpful to know more "what id to carry" while living here :thumbsup:

• Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted (edited)
jon1, on 07 Jul 2013 - 11:43 AM, said: my Subic Freeport ID Could you explain what the"SUBIC FREEPORT ID " is?  

It's a local ID issued by the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority (SBMA). They run the Freeport and require all residents or workers within the Freeport to have one. So that is the ID of choice when someone locally is looking for a picture ID.

Edited by jon1
  • Like 1

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted

I quit carrying my passport and either carry my retired mil id or my drivers license. Now that I hear about laminating a copy of passport mugshot and visa page will carry that too instead of drivers license or retired mil id.

• Like 2