City Vs Province, How Satisfied Are You In The Province?

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'm born in a Capitol and I find it hard to live outside a major city. When living in a province, I get bored to death. Although I have to admit I envy those who are happy in the province. I think you get better quality of life, and you live much cheaper than those of us who prefer to live in the city.

For those living in the province :36_1_68[1]: - how happy are you there, and how do you cope with daily life?

For me, western food :7_4_17[1]: is a must - 1 major reason why I live in the city.

Have you gone native, or do you stock up and fill the freezer?

Shopping is another reason, I find it hard enough to find things I need in the city, so how do you manage when you live far from the city?

In 6 months I never had a brown out, this is more or less common in the province, isn't it?

Do you sit with candle lights (or have a battery back up, or generator)?

Or have you gone total native and do same the locals, sleep early and wake up at sunset?

Meeting up with other foreigners :7500: - although most are very happy in their relationship, I still feel the need to meet other foreigners - Are you a lonely wolf, or do you find foreigners in your area?

Maybe most important, good doctors and Hospitals. Any good doctor in your area, or is a trip to the city the only way to go if you get sick?

Do you live near your significant others family, and how do you handle that? :89:

:th_thanx:

Edited by CebuAndy
  • Like 5

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Or have you gone total native and do same the locals, sleep early and wake up at sunset?

:unsure: :lol: Can't speak for others but we get up, at SUNRISE! sorry Andy could not resist this. :unsure:

:photo-109:

:tiphat:

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

. . .When living in a province, I get bored to death. Me too. I was going crazy for the first 6 month living in the province but I stuck it out because I can save money here (nowhere to spend it) and wife's family is near. Now I have learned to enjoy the simpler things like watching the dogs fvck.

For me, western food :7_4_17[1]: is a must - 1 major reason why I live in the city.

Have you gone native, or do you stock up and fill the freezer? I can't go native and there are few restaurants near me so I definitey fill up the freezer.

Shopping is another reason, I find it hard enough to find things I need in the city, so how do you manage when you live far from the city? I go to Cebu every 2 months to renew my tourist visa and shop.

In 6 months I never had a brown out, this is more or less common in the province, isn't it?

Do you sit with candle lights (or have a battery back up, or generator)? I started with candles only but soon realized I was going nuts without a generator so I have it now.

Or have you gone total native and do same the locals, sleep early and wake up at sunset? I find myself going that way. Fvck all to do after dark except watch tv or play online so I find myself going to bed much earlier and getting up earlier than in the city.

Meeting up with other foreigners :7500: - although most are very happy in their relationship, I still feel the need to meet other foreigners - Are you a lonely wolf, or do you find foreigners in your area? I find that most places have other foreigners who feel the same as you so there is always a place to meet up. You just have to search for it

Maybe most important, good doctors and Hospitals. Any good doctor in your area, or is a trip to the city the only way to go if you get sick? Don't get sick. Its a real problem.

Do you live near your significant others family, and how do you handle that? :89: I like it that we are an hour's drive away. Too much for them to come visit every day but close enough for the wife to go to them.

:th_thanx:

You're welcome
  • Like 5

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I can't wait until I can live in the province too!

Great posts!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Shopping is another reason, I find it hard enough to find things I need in the city, so how do you manage when you live far from the city?

Without prejudice, this is why we love Dumaguete, we live in the province 10 mins from the City. best of both worlds. I do wish more of you would try Negros OR or OC, both, have these Provincial Cities that really do make that Difference. :thumbsup:

post-2148-0-52047200-1344687040_thumb.jp

• Like 3

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

:th_thanx: Gentlemen for your replies. I'm really curious if province life are for me or not.

MikeB #3: Happy to see that you 'Overall much happier here', although I doubt if I would stay sane there, without foreigner friends and more to do. Do you any hobbies to fill your day ?

Yes Cebu city really drain the wallet, and hang out at the malls daily, gets boring. 'But if I was single I would still be doing it'

= so I guess I stay in the City then (?) but I miss going to the beach daily.

Dave #4: :hystery: I'm somehow concerned ... lol.. how you fill your days - but I know you like to Joke :dance:

If you had a hard (boring) time the first 6 months, I will not last 3.

Do you have any hobbies to fill your day ?

'I started with candles only, but soon realized I was going nuts without a generator so I have it now'.

That's what I was afraid of, more expences that eating up the savings one made on lower rent (compared to the city).

Although I'm happy in the city, I do miss to be near the beach. I'm still single, so I must take that into consideration as well.

Hope more expats will share their experience. :)

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted
I'm born in a Capitol and I find it hard to live outside a major city. When living in a province, I get bored to death. Although I have to admit I envy those who are happy in the province. I think you get better quality of life, and you live much cheaper than those of us who prefer to live in the city.

Agreed I love the nightlife and great food

For those living in the province - how happy are you there, and how do you cope with daily life?

Easy I wake up when I want then we plan the day .. I am very happy to live day to day

For me, western food is a must - 1 major reason why I live in the city.

Yeah if you need western quality food you have little choice

1 go out to restaurants you like (pay large) None ...zero in Carcar

2 learn how to make things you really like (I have 29 recipes I can make here with local ingredients ) that all taste so good Comfort food

Have you gone native, or do you stock up and fill the freezer?

Neither I live close to the market and gaisano (small city) I can find beef 4 times a week (SUX) but the chicken and the pork are fantastic

But the best is the fresh seafood . go to the market 6 am the selection is awesome super fresh and cheap (learn to cook)

Its a 1 hour drive to the city for me but I really hate going there (unless to party)

In 6 months I never had a brown out, this is more or less common in the province, isn't it? Do you sit with candle lights (or have a battery back up, or generator)? Or have you gone total native and do same the locals, sleep early and wake up at sunset?

I see brown out as a time to explore (not many really) Any excuse to get out and ride or visit works for me..

Meeting up with other foreigners - although most are very happy in their relationship, I still feel the need to meet other foreigners - Are you a lonely wolf, or do you find foreigners in your area?

Yes we all need to talk deeper topics (the reason we post here) Theres tons of expats here the ones you want to meet are the guys who don,t want to talk to you at the mall :no:

I have met a lot of good expats here most are family men . also I have some very good philipino friends most times more interesting to talk to because of the exchange of information.

Maybe most important, good doctors and Hospitals. Any good doctor in your area, or is a trip to the city the only way to go if you get sick?

Carcar has a simple hospital but a good one 30 minutes by ambulance (south general) As for Doctors we are blessed to have Dr.Regis in carcar a top notch surgeon in the US for 40 years head of the dept in a major hospital . he is retired here and basically donates his time at his practice (10 to 12 and 2 till 4) A better Doctor I have never met a great man IMO

Do you live near your significant others family, and how do you handle that?

Thats a whole different topic thats been covered here many times

A question for you andy how long have you lived in the RP ?

• Like 3

cebu rocks
Posted
Posted

Hey Andy I missed a point or 2 what to do in the day in the province ... We ride our bike lots IE: back roads , up the mountain , the ocean , swimming pools ,fishing, just stop and drink some beer at a sari sari store up the mountain , I shop every day for dinner so the market and gaisano . I slow down and enjoy little things . I mean wake up and say who can we go visit ? most expats enjoy visitors (I always do) or is it hot out (LOL) lets go to one of many pools 30 minute ride away . I know of a ton of stuff to do around Carcar that guys that have lived here for years don,t know . i just found zip lines 15 minutes away from carcar . fishing ,water falls , beaches,jet skis are all in 30 minutes from my door . its a whole new mind set over the city IMO theses more to do in Carcar than Cebu if you take out night life a restos lol

• Like 3

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Hey Andy I missed a point or 2 what to do in the day in the province ... We ride our bike lots IE: back roads , up the mountain , the ocean , swimming pools ,fishing, just stop and drink some beer at a sari sari store up the mountain , I shop every day for dinner so the market and gaisano . I slow down and enjoy little things . I mean wake up and say who can we go visit ? most expats enjoy visitors (I always do) or is it hot out (LOL) lets go to one of many pools 30 minute ride away . I know of a ton of stuff to do around Carcar that guys that have lived here for years don,t know . i just found zip lines 15 minutes away from carcar . fishing ,water falls , beaches,jet skis are all in 30 minutes from my door . its a whole new mind set over the city IMO theses more to do in Carcar than Cebu if you take out night life a restos lol

Thank you cebu rocks.

Been living in Cebu only 6 months (now in Thailand to sell/send my last stuff, then eager to return).

'if you take out night life a restos lol' = not a chance since I'm still single and avaiable' - or is it 'single and ready to mingle' lol.

Good to see another foreigner happy with his new life, although you live farely close to Cebu so it's not a big deal compared to others who have hours, or a ferry ride to get here. Now I'm out to meet some foreigners, for some 'deeper topics' of classified nature :hystery: