City Vs Province, How Satisfied Are You In The Province?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Where would you recommend?

My choice, were I totally single, would be to not settle down in one place unless it was Cebu or other place with a night life. If I were looking for a steady girlfriend I would not hesitate to look around at all the different towns and rural areas but not rent a place and set up house there. If and when you have a steady partner then you will examine your mutual likes and dislikes before getting the little house with the fence and the dogs.

But definitely check out Dumaguete and other towns of that size. I'm just suggesting you may not want to rent a house and move there as a single guy who likes the single night life.

I am also suggesting that, if you are seriously looking to settle down you'll have better choices in cities that are not already overrun with foreigners. So again, if it were me, I would probably find online friends in cities around the Philippines, go visit them and look around their cities. You will see the country. You can make new friends. And you may just find The One.

• Like 4

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

I prefer the province although if I was single it would be the city without doubt.

I have plenty to do, we live right on a dream beach, white sand and crystal clear waters, swim each day, we enjoy sports like badminton, volleyball and tennis to keep us fit and active.

I have never been happier as far as lifestyle goes but we have dreams to have our own place in the future that will be even better.

Thank you Adventurer. Nice to see another foreigner found his love, and dream location as well. :icon_GreatJobKao:

Where would you recommend?

My choice, were I totally single, would be to not settle down in one place unless it was Cebu or other place with a night life. If I were looking for a steady girlfriend I would not hesitate to look around at all the different towns and rural areas but not rent a place and set up house there.

I am also suggesting that, if you are seriously looking to settle down you'll have better choices in cities that are not already overrun with foreigners. And you may just find The One.

Thank you Dave. Many good ideas there, I think some travelling around the country might be a good idea. Night life is not very important for me, but to find The One is why most of us are here :th_exactly:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
A million thanks Jake P

my pleasure, if i can help at all, just pm as you say! :tiphat:

BTW! you dont say what age group you will look for. my Wife tells me she still has a few unattached friends, 35 /45 & a few a Little older. :unsure:

• Like 1

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted (edited)
Or have you gone total native and do same the locals, sleep early and wake up at sunset?

:unsure: :lol: Can't speak for others but we get up, at SUNRISE! sorry Andy could not resist this. :unsure:

:photo-109:

:tiphat:

A million thanks Jake P

my pleasure, if i can help at all, just pm as you say! :tiphat:

BTW! you dont say what age group you will look for. my Wife tells me she still has a few unattached friends, 35 /45 & a few a Little older. :unsure:

Jack P: you and I really need to have a :whistling: " talk" aka :bash: 1%20(72).gif

They better be younger than that, or else :728: :hystery: :hystery:

Edit 1-2: I better clarify this before people start to misunderstand, a few years younger suits me fine (23-28) and the shorter, the cuter imo. Find a 'perfect location' is my first priority anyway.

Edited by CebuAndy
  • Like 2

Adventurer
Posted
Posted

glad to see you changed your avatar, i thought u were nutter from another forum in disguise :)

luke
Posted
Posted

The province is not option for me at this time. Perhaps when I'm retired it may be a cheaper option although I don't know yet if i will retire in the PH. Compared with 5 years ago prices of basic food items here in manila have more than doubled. Not to mention the rising PHP (my paycheck is in EUR).

Because of my job I need stable utilities (power, internet) and a dry place to live (not prone to flooding). The first 7 years I spend in Paranaque which was hell at this time of the year; frequent flooding to the extend i can get home and have to spend the night in the office. Power interruptions and water supply were another headache. Those in the province may have little problems with this kind of conditions but I can't work in these conditions. Currently I work from home so it is even more important to have stable utilities. That was one of the reason I moved to Makati. Lots of embassies (need a visa for certain countries) and goverment offices are also located in Makati and just walking distance from where I live, although it is not an option during the past weeks of torrential rain. Enough choices if in need of medical attention.

So for now I'm a city slicker :)

• Like 3

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

I hope we have some expats in Davao, Bohol or other places, that can share their experience and opinion :welcome11:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

Perhaps there aren't two choices... but four...

1. Large city metro.. I would put Manila, Cebu and Davao in this group.

2 Regional City... say 100K-300K population. Baguio, Tacloban, Dumagaute, etc.

3 Province - Remote areas or small cities/towns < 100k

4. Resort area - Boracay as an example

For me I am going for door #2 and Baguio

• Like 1

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

I live in the province but not that far from Davao, about 21k i m about 3k from Calinan it has about everyting i need as far as goods, we have an NCCC market and department store, also Filcrest but these are nothing like the stores in the Mall in Davao, i do buy a lot of things in Calinan because they cost less than the big stores, while working on my house i found items that cost less in the provience than in the true value and citi hardware, the cost is so much less in provience than in Davao which is one of the best cities price wise in the Phil, i just like being away from the city rat race, Davao in the morning is a mess, but later 10 or 11 no problem, and i have many choices as far as tansportation to Davao, I never ride my motorcycle there, my brother in law lives in a subdivision in Davao and he likes it, but is always talking about building here in provience, there are lot of extra cost there such as home owners dues, he has added a room on and has fees to pay in the subdivision , that i do not have but it is for the good of all owners there, my wifes family really good people and not the handout type, so i have no problem there, i have fresh fruit and vegtables all over i have pigs and chickens, i do buy meat from wholesaler in Davao and they deliver to Calinan about everyday, i have no white sandy beach but they are not far, my sister in law and her family live in Mati and we go there for the beach, all said it is just your life style or your gf that will help you decide which is best for you, by all means check it out first, dont rush into anythiing.

• Like 5

CebuAndy
Posted
Posted

Thank you Okieboy. Nice to see another expat happy in the province. :)

I still getting my feet wet in Cebu, so I love to learn from more experienced expats, in the Philippines.

Check things out + don't rush into anything, are good advice.

:th_thanx: