Stun Guns- Personal Safety In The Philippines

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

How about one of these? The other stun devices require you to get up close and personal. Versions of these let you set the gun down and run away while the person is still being zapped.

post-635-0-15205800-1348001654_thumb.jpg

MikeB
Posted
Posted

How about one of these? The other stun devices require you to get up close and personal. Versions of these let you set the gun down and run away while the person is still being zapped.

That's a taser. A taser is not a stun gun, tasers are illegal in most places, stun guns are not. I decided against a stun gun after reading a few law enforcement forums and getting the overwhelming consensus that stun guns are largely ineffective and many of their advertisements are not true. Tasers, on the other hand, are very effective. This is from the people that go toe to toe with these criminals every day.

I can't read what the sign in post #8 says.

As for "being careful not to do anything to a local in the Philippines", if I (or my family) is attacked or assaulted bet the farm that I will do anything and use anything I can to inflict as much injury and pain on the attacker whether it's a "local" or not. If I get in "legal wrangling" that will be the price to be dealt with later, I will not sit on my hands and be attacked or allow it to happen to my family.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

A good stun gun will work - but most really are garbage. How can you tell? Bring somebody along to help with testing, of course! Seriously, that is really the only way. But tasers? Don't go there unless you either want to kill the guy (most people don't know how to operate a taser properly and many end up killing the target) or get killed yourself (if a taser is not fired close to straight on to the intended target, those lovely little darts don't stick in and thus no zap - just one really pist off bad guy coming at you). Get a sonic canon instead. It's hard for your target to fight back when he is vomiting, defecating and urinating all at the same time while trying to decide if he is going into heart failure! Yup! Just pump up and direct that high efficiency low freq directional speaker spewing forth just under that 60 Hz thump! - 53.5 Hz to be exact! And it doesn't harm the plants near by... much! Yes, they really are available though I haven't looked for one for a bit. (Once a bass player, always a bass freak!)

:mocking:

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

Interesting thought, now why is it called a "Stun Gun" when it does not shoot a projectile?

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Interesting thought, now why is it called a "Stun Gun" when it does not shoot a projectile?

It is used to stun people and looks like a gun... Ok, so I had to answer that! hehe!

These really won't drop a person for very long - it's more the shock of being suddenly hit by one that will stop a person. And most are not any stronger than a defibulator. I just had my defibulator removed recently (heart condition) and I can tell you, when it goes off, you don't really feel like fighting after but it isn't going to stop you from doing so if you need to.

• Like 1

brock
Posted
Posted

A good kick in the goolies works just as well :)

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I believe one of the things those of us from western societies always think of is "Attacker" or "Bad Guy". We think singular individuals are the ones after us. In Philippines it is going to be multiple assailants. Our nature is to focus on one target. There you need eyes in the back of your head! Crime is a team effort in Philippines for the most part.

Papa Carl provided a good example with his friend in Angeles City. He saw a guy run out, jump on a motorbike and run off. There was another one still in the house.

• Like 4

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I believe one of the things those of us from western societies always think of is "Attacker" or "Bad Guy". We think singular individuals are the ones after us. In Philippines it is going to be multiple assailants. Our nature is to focus on one target. There you need eyes in the back of your head! Crime is a team effort in Philippines for the most part.

Papa Carl provided a good example with his friend in Angeles City. He saw a guy run out, jump on a motorbike and run off. There was another one still in the house.

I question how useful a stun gun would be for self defense for two reasons.

1. You have to physically touch the assailant.. that means they are close in and can be attacking you at the same time.

2. If there are multiple assailants, a second bad guy can be taking you down while you stun the first.

That is why I am considering some sort of pepper spray which may work better with multiple assailants since it can have an 8-12 foot range allowing you to hold off assailants without them getting in too close. Plus the pepper spray will have a longer lasting effect on the assailant than the stun gun. Perhaps something like this:

http://www.tigerlight.net/T100_Features.html

• Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted

The problem w/pepper spray is it's subject to wind direction and a human (most anyway) is going to know what it is. To shoot that tigerlight spray you have to arm it, insert your thumb under a safety latch, aim, fire. Most street crime happens in the blink of an eye, it's over before you even think to get it out of your pocket. When I'm walking with my wife I carry a canister of spray for dogs because we were nearly attacked a couple of months ago by a pack of 4, 2 of them appeared to be it pit bulls. All within spitting distance of the police station. They don't care, you are on your on.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Right MikeB ..... your attackers know exactly what they are going to do and you can only anticipate .... unless they are following you it will be damn hard for you to defend yourself ..... I personally walk with a rattan cane (not needed except if I get clumsy like missing a step going down stairs .... :mocking: ) it is perfectly legal to carry and use and no one has second thoughts about you walking with one ..... not much good in a gun fight but everything else including dogs is fair game .... if you go this route be sure it is good quality and made of hard wood or rattan not bamboo ..... aluminum or other hollow materials ..... IMHO ..... :tiphat: ...... :cheersty:

• Like 1