Stun Guns- Personal Safety In The Philippines

i am bob
Posted
Posted

There are too many variables to be prepared for every incident that may happen... If you feel that you may be targeted for crime, don't go out alone if possible. Try to stay to the areas that you feel are safe. And you may consider one of the many options listed above. But there is nothing out there that is going to keep you 100% safe in every circumstance. Sorry folks!

:tiphat:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I question how useful a stun gun would be for self defense for two reasons. 1. You have to physically touch the assailant.. that means they are close in and can be attacking you at the same time. 2. If there are multiple assailants, a second bad guy can be taking you down while you stun the first.

This is all true but every situation could be different. If one was wrestling on the ground to save his own life than touch is fine and IF the next guy gets close enough then zap him too. Its all hypothetical as no one knows what could happen but my point of bringing this subject up is that it is possible for a bit more defense. There is no right or wrong answer, bad breath might disable a close encounter but if it helps at the time no one will care how close you are except the would be thug. :lol:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I suppose attackers at least would have a knife, I wouldn't want to defend against a knife with a stun gun.

How about a stiletto baton in Philippines (=a baton which is short when carry it, but become long direct when swinging it)?

Can get operated in less than a second, and good enough to disarm against a knife.

Don't hit the head, that's big killing risk, but an average hit against an arm hurts enough to stop the attacker if he isn't druged.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

And they sell those batons in SM ..... looked at them but they aren't near as heavy as the one I had in the US but they still look substantial ..... but I personally prefer just a bit more distance like about 3-4 feet ..... gives me a bit more room to decide what to do ...... :hystery:

• Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

Disclaimer, Everything that follows is TOTALLY fictional as I only read up on the in-tard-net and put this stuff in my own words. I have no experience nor every had any sort of belief other that of an ABSOLUTE non violent " at all costs " morale code of behavior. I just go fetal and cry for help. Police has always saved me. There.....covered myself.

With all due respect Gentlemen, Mike B made the best shot at solving the objective IMHO. This has been posted on before but I can not recall where I posted. I volunteer in some really unfriendly , poor places. I have very expensive medical equipment on me as well. I stand out like a sore thumb. I KNOW I am a target.

Every tool / weapon has a pro & con.

Mike S and Bob are spot on as is Jolly Good. Papa C; Glad you are O.K.

Learn the limitations of both your person, training, Experience, skill sets and tools /weapons. Ya not gonna know when or where you are selected as a target. IF/When your selected ( or a loved one ) It will be to the Bad guys advantages. No matter how big, bad strong ...whatever...a soldier is rarely ever " Fully Ready " but he can be prepared. I am not gonna go into mind set. Why are you / loved one selected ? There can only be 3 basic reasons or combination there of. Which one /ones determine part of the dynamics. What appears top be only a " Robbery " can & usually does result in an " Escalated " event...Not to the victims advantages. At least according to history, facts, videos and statistics.

Heres my take; Pepper spray /OC here sucks, Scovel way to unreliable. Good luck being ahead of the BGs decision cycle so, under duress you can maybe fumble around and deploy your canister of insta-stop. Plus, depending on the type of assault & BG's break through the " Wall "; if used effectively...That OC is all me, in my eyes.

Blades, they do NOT stop an attack in a second or two. Good luck with your fancy disarms...we are gonna need them. More that likely, I'll wind up cut a few times. Best disarms is a nighty, nighty for the BG's. Easier said than done IMO.

Short guns...thank God Almighty when the BG's point them in the face...much easier to deal with IMO.

Now the shockers...I do not like them outside a " duty to control " a disorderly. Retractable batons....hard to get into play, disarms easy because of the level of training and experience here on the BGs side. Odds are with them. One exception...Mike S already has tool deployment...cane. Good job Sir.

Multiples. Well this is bad...can be really bad. Been invited to a few boot party's before and Yours truly was the guest of honor. It ain't easy for a man to deal with. No matter how bad butt somebody thinks their ( Insert whatever Martial art , Budda , secret squirrel strengths are ) Best get your back to the wall. Pray they aren't serious but they get you down...it is hard to get back up.

Like anything else. Just prepare or choose not too. There is a balance. Not everybody has the ability to train as hard as the professionals. Even the pro's get taken down ever now and again. Show me a man with scares and I'll show you a man that has BTDT.

Edited by Higg-num
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Your entire post was pretty well spot on. Fighting back can and will often lead to a worse scenario than actually giving up what they want. Rarely do thieves travel alone - even if you just see one. The best way to protect yourself? Don't travel alone. And if you do, always be aware of your surroundings!

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
Don't travel alone. And if you do, always be aware of your surroundings!

:unsure: As foreigners, we should always try, NOT be in the WRONG PLACE at the Wrong TIME. Just MHO :)

:tiphat:

• Like 1

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Your entire post was pretty well spot on. Fighting back can and will often lead to a worse scenario than actually giving up what they want. Rarely do thieves travel alone - even if you just see one. The best way to protect yourself? Don't travel alone. And if you do, always be aware of your surroundings!

Respectfully Bob I hope you do much more research on this matter I underlined. The " Totem " ; If only I give them my watch, money, whatever...statistically speaking....is often followed by worse things happening. Being passive only serves to increase the BG's boldness and ability to inflict their satanic evil upon the victims.

Context is everything. Refer to the escalation part of the paradigm in my original post.

Also, I would suggest everyone try & speak with any EXPERIENCED criminal Physco / trainer ( The ones that are actually vetted & attached to SWAT /Spec Ops teams ) At least get with the BTDT types. Most are very professional and will cater to the clients needs.

If by you, believing the BG's ONLY want your watch, one may have lost the mental game and be so deep into the scenario, one may not be able to recover the initiative. Double for multiples. Do not even mention kid knappings or sexual assaults. Being " aware " means nothing IF one does not capitalize on the advantage.

No one is gonna get this out of a book. Experience is one of the best....IF one mentally and physically lives through it. Second best & Much better IMO , is professional courses. Through in some mental energy, sweet, some blood and vomit here and there with training, who knows, BG's might just De-select. Depends on their motives, mental capacity and what risk they are willing to take. Laws mean nothing if your loved ones are harmed or dead. Get an attorney here. KNOW your rights and case law....how to interview.

Word

p.s. WHEN are you getting here Bob ?????

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I'm going to send a tactical flashlight over for the family to have on hand and use when I visit. It requires a police friend to buy one.

I guess it could give a little time to flee an intruder or hold-up its not lethal they are totally unassuming even a Filipino cop or mall guard would not recognize one if they held it in their hands.

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

VERY good Per-Sec tool IMO

May I recommend " Sure fire " brand. They have several models to choose from. Takes 60-65 lumens to temporarily " Blind " a human. ( Not going to get into the iris retraction , blah, blah, blah )

Just dismiss it as your eye sight is poor and you need to find your keys in the dark for the security /cops here.

They can and have been used to good effect ;lethal in some cases.

Skill & context my friends...skill and context. ; )