...enjoy A Low Cost Of Living In Asia

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted (edited)

xxxxxxxxxxxxis known for having international links to realtors and dealers wheelers who would both benefit form promoting these areas. So, I'd be skeptical of what they say.

As for the cost of living, I think it all depends on the person and his/her tolerance and expectations. I advice to lower expectations to the worst case scenario.

Anything better than your worst case scenario, would be a plus and will put a smile on your face ... I hope :23_11_60[2]:

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted

The most important thing is do not come here without a regular income .many people have come on savings and lost the lot through dodgy investments and got trapped here without money .

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The most important thing is do not come here without a regular income .many people have come on savings and lost the lot through dodgy investments and got trapped here without money .

Well. That would be ideal, but not all have such option, and not nice if have to wait until retire :boohoo: :)

(I have done a bit testing starting own website, to get a business I can BRING, handable from anywhere in the world with Internet. BUT most of the business websites at Internet LOSE money or have very bad profit. I tested a very big market with many competitors, but very boring so I didn't realy tried it fully.

Then I planned to start a funny/interesting to handle website, planed to be exbanded with an offline business later, but I stoped preparing it, when I noticed the Philippines seem to be the only country in the world not allowing such!!! (The have a law which stops to stop very bad things, but it forbid good things too... :unsure:

Some other types of Internet handled businesses are among the alternatives still, but had got lower priority because:

1. Hard to get good enough Internetwhere I want to live in the Philippines :unsure:

2. When I researched ideas what business to start to add jobs to Filipin family/village, NOT ment to be profitable for me, then I found some, which can be very interesting - some kanos have succeed in some of them allready - so now it's most likely I will start one such business, but ment to pay my salary too, so I don't need to handle both. It's a problem some succeed by kano businesses cost very much to start. Hard to start such before I have moved there :) and more research left to do before deciding what to start. Still to see if it will be good or fail...)

• 2 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted

i have read lots about the cost of living in the phils, i dont like manila, but bohol does look and i hope will be a nice place to be, its knowing that you have enough to live well and comfortable on, what is that figure, no one knows till you get there, i am hoping that if we own our own place the cost will be between 250 and 500 per month this is in english pounds,now if we rent well that figure then goes from 500 to 700 a month, these figures i think can be done, i dont want to live like a westener once i am there, yes i want to eat everyday and be clean but having to go out and eat in resturants and go to shows and run a car and have a big house, no thankyou, i just want to enjoy life simple and safe, hopefully we should have a income coming in each month of between £500 to £650 to last me till my pension kicks in but also we shall have a nice saving nest that if so we can always fall back on,i am no millionair and dont live like one, just a smple life is all i want

Exactly Steve! You're going about it exactly the way it should be done! I know you will have a great life in the Philippines!

:dance:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
bohol does look and i hope will be a nice place to be

I agree. The property values in Bohol are some of the best deals around. What scares me off are the expats I have met who have actually lived there and then moved because they say they were bored out of their minds. I mean, its boring in other provinces but there is a limit. Wonder what the Bohol lovers have to say abou t that?

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I agree. The property values in Bohol are some of the best deals around. What scares me off are the expats I have met who have actually lived there and then moved because they say they were bored out of their minds. I mean, its boring in other provinces but there is a limit. Wonder what the Bohol lovers have to say abou t that?

I spent some time there last Christmas and I do think I would be bored quickly. Also, medical care there is not so good. Unfortunately we spent some time at the main hospital and it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

I say it depends much of the person himself, it's almost impossible for e g me to become bored

(but I become it once when I were 10 years old and realy longed for a part to go on with what I did, but the shop was closed :boohoo: :hystery:

Boredom is easy solved by having enough hobbies...

(I have many, often they can cost to buy the equipment, but cost nothing/litle to do, so it's cheap in the long run. E g sailing (small), billiard, play music instruments, read and write books, play computer games, canoe, check nature, table tennis, try to learn new culture...) So if someone is short of hobbies, he can get some from me :)

But Bohol is short of good live sports to look at, I suppose I will miss such, so I hope they will improve Internet enough so I can look at streaming webTV when I move there. I don't expect Filipin TV will show Swedish ishockey and such :)

• Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted

I don't think getting bored is not solveable but rather it is, what if you needed medical attention suddenly say, from something happened to you while practicing any of those hobbies?

It's important to stay close to good medical facilities coz things usually would go OK for a long while but then could turn around in a second.

This could happen regardless of age, by the way.

The higher the risk, the cheaper it is. Bohol like places are cheap for a reason just like any other.

Unfortunately, the wallet is the decision maker here and not us :(

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I don't think getting bored is not solveable but rather it is, what if you needed medical attention suddenly say, from something happened to you while practicing any of those hobbies? It's important to stay close to good medical facilities coz things usually would go OK for a long while but then could turn around in a second. This could happen regardless of age, by the way.

Yes, but that's an OTHER problem than boredom.

(Tagbilaran has a level 3 (max is 4) hospital and Bohol is so small so not very long transport time to get there. Just a bit more than I have to a real hospitak here in Sweden :) (Same distance but the roads are better here so can drive faster here.) And there is a level 2 hospital just a few kilometers from where I aim at settle down.)

The higher the risk, the cheaper it is. Bohol like places are cheap for a reason just like any other. Unfortunately, the wallet is the decision maker here and not us

Well. Perhaps you are right risk is ONE of the estate price factors,

but I believe popularity* is a much biger factor. Lucky for me I like several NOT tourist places much better :hystery:

*You can compare e g Panglao with other provinces close to Tagbilaran hospital too. It's common it's a 10 times land price difference, although it's nice land there too! - and without many tourists disturbing the calm :hystery: