...enjoy A Low Cost Of Living In Asia

Adventurer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I recently moved into a new studio apartment with my wife, 15 mins from cebu city centre, clean air as it's elevated. It's cosy, new, clean and safe, secure but not noise free as the road is not far away. For 3,500 pesos per month we are happy since we are living on my savings and very little income from my internet business so it works out good for now. We would like a cheap motorbike though for around 10k so we don't have to rely on strangers with motorcycles to get us to the shops.

I once lived in a 3k house in the province but it was a dump, falling apart. The one i'm in now would be worth 12k from others I have seen.

I lived in an 8k place right on a white sand crystal clear blue beach before this. The house was cosy but a little rough but enjoyed it there for 6 months or so.

I lived in cebu city once in an apartment for 16k a month, that was pretty good and I could afford that then as I was single and had some spare cash. the other expenses like power and water added up though and you spend more in the city too.

You can find big variations in rent prices here, you have to talk to people and as was mentioned work of mouth is the go..

Edited by Adventurer
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

it may sound silly to others on here but my health is ok and i think that no work and no english weather would improve my life a long way, no stress with work and a warm temp sounds wonderful, getting bored will never happen, i love my own company i am not a drinker but love to explore whats around the corner, we intend to travel lots once we are over in the phils, a few months here and there, visit far of places,

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
I recently moved into a new studio apartment with my wife, 15 mins from cebu city centre, clean air as it's elevated. It's cosy, new, clean and safe, secure but not noise free as the road is not far away. For 3,500 pesos per month we are happy since we are living on my savings and very little income from my internet business so it works out good for now. We would like a cheap motorbike though for around 10k so we don't have to rely on strangers with motorcycles to get us to the shops.

Don't you mean "less pollution" that close to the city and to a street? :)

Have you thought of an electric bike? NEW such ones can be bought for from 20 000p and up (in Manila. In Visayas are the cheapest I have seen around 24 000p). Almost no cost for a full loading. The milage cost will depend of how long time the batteries will function. (I have seen numbers saying managing 300 or 500 reloadings for different batteries.)

But the cheapest are some weak, so if you think of buying one, you better compare capacity with needed carry capacity including your own weight. (I can look up links among my notes, if someone are interested.)

• Like 2

Dr. Cockroach
Posted
Posted (edited)

it may sound silly to others on here but my health is ok and i think that no work and no english weather would improve my life a long way, no stress with work and a warm temp sounds wonderful, getting bored will never happen, i love my own company i am not a drinker but love to explore whats around the corner, we intend to travel lots once we are over in the phils, a few months here and there, visit far of places,

If you ask me, I wish your health, and everybody's gets better, but, unfortunately, it's not something under anybody's control?

I too have good health, etc. but then I do know I shouldn't be taking that for granted coz it could end in a flash! Not that I want to but that's how it is?

Infact, you left your job and the money that came with it, to preserve your health. I did the same just two weeks ago! Doesn't that say health is more valuable than money?

In the US, a stat said, 20% of the population a year, declare bankruptcy coz of health related expenses. I doubt if any of them wanted to do so!

Edited by Dr. Cockroach

tiger31
Posted
Posted

The problem with bohol is the locals do not want their island turned into a tourist attraction and reject all sorts of investments.they like it just the way it is laid back and simple ,the ceres bus company tried to set up business there and the locals burned all the buses .transport can be quite difficult so you need your own car or bike .they are improving the road network though which is desperately needed .If its the simple laid back quiet life you want then bohol is ideal

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The problem with bohol is the locals do not want their island turned into a tourist attraction and reject all sorts of investments.they like it just the way it is laid back and simple ,the ceres bus company tried to set up business there and the locals burned all the buses .transport can be quite difficult so you need your own car or bike .they are improving the road network though which is desperately needed .If its the simple laid back quiet life you want then bohol is ideal

Alan and I don't want tourist attractions there either, so that's no problem :hystery:

Don't the locals like the damm and irrigation investments the government do either?

If they like them, I hope they would like investments for refining agricultural products too, because I think of starting some such there :)

I haven't used them, but there are jeepney connections at Bohol. (E g Tagbilaran-San Isidro-Tubigon, Carmen-Trinidad-Talibon and long distance ones connecting e g Talibon-Tagbilaran too.) Are you sure it was the local users, who burned the buses, and not the excisting jeepney drivers?

Yes, the Bohol roads are crazy. In some places the highway is as a gravel road, while in other places there are good concrete BARANGAR roads!!! Perhaps they have got money for road improvements from the developing program, which have made they have improved even some barangar roads between CDO and Illigan?

Yes, it will be a problem, if I can't find enough many active people for my business,

but laid back locals are no big problem for my private life, because most of my hobbies don't need no other active than I, plus my gf is active :)

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

Alan and I don't want tourist attractions there either, so that's no problem :hystery:

Don't the locals like the damm and irrigation investments the government do either?

If they like them, I hope they would like investments for refining agricultural products too, because I think of starting some such there :)

I haven't used them, but there are jeepney connections at Bohol. (E g Tagbilaran-San Isidro-Tubigon, Carmen-Trinidad-Talibon and long distance ones connecting e g Talibon-Tagbilaran too.) Are you sure it was the local users, who burned the buses, and not the excisting jeepney drivers?

Yes, the Bohol roads are crazy. In some places the highway is as a gravel road, while in other places there are good concrete BARANGAR roads!!! Perhaps they have got money for road improvements from the developing program, which have made they have improved even some barangar roads between CDO and Illigan?

Yes, it will be a problem, if I can't find enough many active people for my business,

but laid back locals are no big problem for my private life, because most of my hobbies don't need no other active than I, plus my gf is active :)

not sure who was responsible for torching the buses .I believe the N.P A is also active on the island although they usually don,t bother the foreigners .most of the investments are going on pangalo anyway and not bohol itself but I liked the new roads that are getting built nice and wide but with very little traffic on them .what sort of business are you setting up thomas ?
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
the ceres bus company tried to set up business there and the locals burned all the buses .transport

Are you sure you are talking about Bohol or did you mean this thread from Bilran

If you really meant Bohol then it sounds like the same kind of place I am at now with cheaper land.

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
not sure who was responsible for torching the buses .I believe the N.P A is also active on the island although they usually don,t bother the foreigners .most of the investments are going on pangalo anyway and not bohol itself but I liked the new roads that are getting built nice and wide but with very little traffic on them .what sort of business are you setting up thomas ?

I have heared NPA attack foreign MINING companies, but that's at Mindanao, have never heared of any guerilla activities at Bohol. Has there been any?

Yes, lucky it's so litle traffic, when the roads are so narrow :hystery:

Concerning my business ideas, they are only at research level yet. They are so many so I better not write them here destroying the topic :) (Most probably it will be something within developing, energy saving and/or refining agricultural products they grow there already.)

If you really meant Bohol then it sounds like the same kind of place I am at now with cheaper land.

Except for Tagbilaran and Panglao, the land prices are very low at Bohol. 20-40p/sq meter are common outside cities.

Some examples: 140p/m2 * for land with own sand beach!!! (50p for an other beach land, with big fish pond and rice field, but that one is to wet to be a good place to build house at.) 25p with ocean view from inland hill suiting to build house at. I have even seen an ad asking only 8p for inland I like, but this one is to big to afford for me :boohoo: :)

Edit: * I remembered a bit wrong. 176p/m2. http://sulit.com.ph/5787767

And the ocean with fishpond is only 40p.

ASKED prices, so it's chance they can become even lower :)

Edited by Thomas
  • Like 1

tiger31
Posted
Posted
the ceres bus company tried to set up business there and the locals burned all the buses .transport

Are you sure you are talking about Bohol or did you mean this thread from Bilran

http://www.philippin..._hl__silverstar

well i got the imformation from brother n law so it may have been one and the same incident but you never know in the philippines but he did say the ceres bus company tried to start up and their buses were burned down.it could be the local clans don,t want their business activities ruined.where abouts on bohol are you ?