...enjoy A Low Cost Of Living In Asia

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I just look at the simple math from one simple comparison...

Can I afford to live in a MAJOR CITY in Canada? Can I afford to live in a MAJOR CITY in the Philippines.

Can I afford to live in a SMALLER CITY in Canada? Can I afford to live in a SMALLER CITY in the Philippines?

Can I afford to live in the COUNTRY in Canada? Can I afford to live in the PROVINCE in the Philippines?

For some reason I can't figure out, the left side is always no but the right side is usually yes! Now it is not always on $1000 a month I can do but it sure will be cheaper for me no matter what once I am in the Philippines!

:attention:

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I just look at the simple math from one simple comparison...

Can I afford to live in a MAJOR CITY in Canada? Can I afford to live in a MAJOR CITY in the Philippines.

Can I afford to live in a SMALLER CITY in Canada? Can I afford to live in a SMALLER CITY in the Philippines?

Can I afford to live in the COUNTRY in Canada? Can I afford to live in the PROVINCE in the Philippines?

For some reason I can't figure out, the left side is always no but the right side is usually yes! Now it is not always on $1000 a month I can do but it sure will be cheaper for me no matter what once I am in the Philippines!

:attention:

For me I based my finances for retirement on living single in the USA. I could live as I do now with a bit of extra money to travel if I stayed in the USA.

My best guess is that my cost of living for about the same life (biggest being no car) will be slightly less in the Philippines, maybe 60-70% of USA. This will give me more cash to spend traveling and the cost of travel in asia is much less.

I expect that the additional cost for having a gf/wife/children will be a great deal less in the Philippines than in the USA. In the USA I would have to continue working with no hope of retirement if I married now and had children. In the Philippines I will be able to marry and have children while being retired.

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I expect that the additional cost for having a gf/wife/children will be a great deal less in the Philippines than in the USA. In the USA I would have to continue working with no hope of retirement if I married now and had children. In the Philippines I will be able to marry and have children while being retired.

This brings up an interesting point. I wonder how many guys end up starting a whole new family once they get to the PI's? It is not really on my list of things to do but knowing me, as I do, it will probably happen. A family may be more affordable there but I'm not sure I would consider it retirement ha ha

I will probably end up with kids younger than my grand-kids!

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

when thinking about costs between the west and the Philippines you have to consider the surprise expenses. Your girlfriend or wifes mother is very sick and needs an operation or she will die, Who is going to pay. Your girls brother or sister has a tooth ache and is screaming in pain, Who will pay for the dentist. You will get a lot of visits from your girls family at dinner time. Its easy to say that you will let them fend for themselves but when you become emotionally attached to her and her family you will feel an obligation to help and there is nothing wrong with that but it will be an added expense and these things happen believe me I know. I befriended a Filipino who was a really nice guy. His wife was having a baby and the baby died, They were grieve stricken and on top of that they had a big hospital bill that would put them into dept for many years to come. I could afford the bill with out much hardship so I paid. Back in Canada I would not have to worry about any ones health care as every one has their own insurance and health care. I do not mind these hidden costs as it makes me feel good to help when I can, But you need to know that these situations arise.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted

you cannot help everyone, i have said that one day i may need help also, so you have just got to make sure that who you are helping needs it, not for a car, yes we have been asked for that and we will pay you back when we can, emergencies health those to me are the important things to help, also remember they managed well before i or you came along the way too

• Like 2

sjp52
Posted
Posted

you cannot help everyone, i have said that one day i may need help also, so you have just got to make sure that who you are helping needs it, not for a car, yes we have been asked for that and we will pay you back when we can, emergencies health those to me are the important things to help, also remember they managed well before i or you came along the way too

Did they ? Many deaths in the Philippines could have been avoided if not for a lack of funds. Many Filipinos suffer because they don,t have the means to help themselves, When the time comes when your Philippines family needs help you will have to make that decision to help or not.

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted

not just the philippines that suffers, its world wide, like i have said before i have to live here first , its hard work just making a living in england and i am not knocking its harded here then there,heath and security will be given to the family if needed but sending money because someone wants a new phone or ipod and dont even contribute to the family , well i think many may know my answer to that

• Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Did they ? Many deaths in the Philippines could have been avoided if not for a lack of funds. Many Filipinos suffer because they don,t have the means to help themselves, When the time comes when your Philippines family needs help you will have to make that decision to help or not.

One thing I always tell people is that most of the American poor have no idea what poor really is. We have an incredible amount if social services that are unavailable in many parts of the world. In the Philippines when you have no health care or food - it means you NO health care or food.

You can't help everyone, but family and friends will pull at your purse strings as well as your heart. I will have to balance helping and hopefully not being taken advantage of.

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted
helping and hopefully not being taken advantage of.

This is probably the key to the situation.

We were in the "taken advantage of" group for about 8 years as we are in maybe a unique situation where i am not the only foreigner married into the family and we were taken advantage of not just by the immediate family but also by the other foreigner.

As a consequence we haven't spoken to them for 2 years nor do we wish to ever see them again.

My wife has now patched things up with her mother but that is as far as it will go.

The other two have said they will take care of mother and we will hold them to that but we will contribute a small amount from now on.

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Mr Bundy, thank you for sharing. It's hard when families fall on each other like that and even harder when you are the one they fall on.