Tourist Visa Information

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

Newbie to the forum. I have searched the forum, but did not find any definitive answers thus this posting.Just to keep the discussion on the subject, I would appreciate replies from actual users of tourist visa. That means people who are actual on tourist visa or have used the system before. In addition,please do not discuss permanent visas here. I know it's valuable but not on this post.Let me summarize my understanding of how the tourist visa works...For USA citizens...- 21 days of free visa at the airport.- on or about 15th day, apply for 38 days (59 total) of extension for P3,000..(using travel agent maybe little more)- on or about a week before first 59 days is due, apply for 60 day extension at P5,000 (Price is different for 60-180 days (P5,000) than 180 days or more (P4,000) )So far so good...Now here are the confusing parts.- How long can you extension 60 days for ??? 12 months?? 16 months ?? or 24 months?? ..before you have to leave the country for a day. Official guide says..12 months then leave the country. Forums suggest up to 16 months then you HAVE to apply at Manila for 16 - 24 months extension Finally, up to 24 months...just keep extending every 60 days...I hope I made my question very clear...but I am willing to clarify more...Please give me some feed back...Lastly, a post was made on this forum for Spike Holly as someone who can help with visa extension, but the website doesn't work. Does anyone know of a decent travel agent in Cebu who can extend tourist visa OR is it just as easy to show up at BOI (Bureau of Immigration) and wait few hours??Thanks in advance ...

Terp
Posted
Posted

How long can you extension 60 days for ??? 12 months?? 16 months ?? or 24 months??You can extend for up to 16 months and then you can ask for a waiver and if approved by Immigration Manila you can stay up to 24 months.Official guide says..12 months then leave the country.Don

• Like 1

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

Prevailing wisdom seems to be 16 months at 60 days extension. Then must go to Manila and explain why additional 8 months to make it 24 months, otherwise out of the country for a day at 16 months.How much extra to use travel agent ?? How long of wait?? How much of hassle (wait..etc...) to go directly to BOI ??Do they stamp the extension date in the passport ?? I heard few guys never extended and just stayed in PI. What are the danger of ignoring extension ?? Any experience traveler?? Comment ??

Markham
Posted
Posted

Several things to bear in mind here.If you arrive in the Philippines and expect to be admitted under the Visa Waiver Scheme, you will be admitted for 21 days and your first extension will be for 38 days.If you apply for a one year 9(a) Visitors Visa (which, incidentally, costs about the same as a 38 day extension), you will be admitted for 59 days BUT the cost of each extension will be cheaper than under the Visa Waiver Scheme.

Prevailing wisdom seems to be 16 months at 60 days extension. Then must go to Manila and explain why additional 8 months to make it 24 months, otherwise out of the country for a day at 16 months.
There is no such thing as a 60 day extension. Extensions are nominally 59 days although in practice they are 2 calendar months.
How much extra to use travel agent ?? How long of wait??
Depending on which agent you use, their fee will be 450~750. I use Southwind Travel which has offices in Juan Osmena Street, JY Square and the Marriott and Shangri-La hotels. Take your passport a few days before the due date to your chosen agent and it will be returned within a couple of days normally.
Do they stamp the extension date in the passport ??
The expiry date of the extension is stamped in your passport. In addition you'll be issued with 2 Official Receipts and a Certificate.
I heard few guys never extended and just stayed in PI. What are the danger of ignoring extension ?? Any experience traveler?? Comment ??
I personally would not recommend this. At best you'll be fined and made to pay for all extensions that are due. At worst BoI would deport you for being an overstayer and undocumented "alien" and that means automatic blacklisting so you won't be able to return.I understand that soon, BoI will require 9(a) Visitors, and Visa Waiver holders to obtain ACR-I cards once they have been here for 6 months. This will speed-up the process of getting an extension as all your information, payment record and history is stored on a chip within the card. I hear that Manila is already issuing such cards.
  • Like 1

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

Thanks..Great information.. Things are much clear now...So how can I get 9a visa?? Special requirements?? I want to stay in Pi as long as possible. I thought tourist visa waiver is the simplest. Can I still get 9a visa without meeting any special requirements??What's your understanding of requiring ACR-I for staying over 6 months visitors?? Will this mean tourists cannot stay over 6 month without exiting PI once ??

Markham
Posted
Posted
So how can I get 9a visa?? Special requirements?? I want to stay in Pi as long as possible. I thought tourist visa waiver is the simplest. Can I still get 9a visa without meeting any special requirements??
If you Google for the Philippines Embassy website in your country, you will find all the information regarding 9(a) Visitor Visas, including the application form and fee schedule. Simply download and complete the application, attach passport-sized photos (signed on the front side) and send with your passport and money-order to the nearest Consulate. Your passport will be returned normally within 21 days.
What's your understanding of requiring ACR-I for staying over 6 months visitors?? Will this mean tourists cannot stay over 6 month without exiting PI once ??
The Philippine Government wants all long-stay foreigners to be accounted for and documented. The term "ACR-I card" simply means "Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card" and there are certain benefits to holding one, such as where banking is concerned. It currently costs PHP450 (around $10) annually. They are already required for other Visa classes including 9(f) Student, 9(g) Work and 13(a) Spousal.Don't forget that you must have a valid ticket out of the Philippines (at all times) unless you have a Visa class that accords permanent residency. The airline you use to fly into the Philippines will check for this and may refuse to carry you in the absence of such a ticket. Also, BoI is doing random checks for such tickets - both on arrival at the airport and, apparently at the city offices when extensions are applied for (and that's new).

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

Thanks again, Markham.... Don't mean to be argue or challenge, I am simply trying to understand this visa procedure. I will ask for your forgiveness in advance if I offend you, that is not my intention. 9a visitor's visa that you are referring....Isn't that simply a one year multiple entry visa ?? For $90.00, one year, $30.00 for 90 days..etc.. Thus 9a visa that I get from local consulate gives me no more advantage with visa extension fee than visa I get at the airport. Another words, visa extension and multiple entry visa is a separate issue. Many people are confused about this..( I was, and even consulates until I pressed for more). I asked the consulate, they had no information on paying less for extension because one has 9a. Extension fees are same. If I am missing something here then PLEASE explain..thanks.. ACR-I: People talking about getting ACR-I card. Again, isn't this a simple registration procedure ?? It is not replacement for a visa. Another words, it's not a visa, simply easier way to track foreigners in PI. I can't find anywhere how to apply for ACR-I. In addition, having ACR-I gives no additional advantage in paying less for extension. Currently, BOI relies on 59 day extension information, but ACR-I gives them better tracking system.As for banking advantage with ACR_I, I am not understanding you. Anyone can have banck account in PI.Thanks again for your discussion.Hope to hear more clarification.regards,

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
As for banking advantage with ACR_I, I am not understanding you. Anyone can have banck account in PI.Hope to hear more clarification.regards,
I will leave all the other things for Mark or someone else to answer.I am not sure where you got that idea. None of the international banks such as HSBC or Citibank here will do business with someone who does not have an ACR card. Most if not all of the bigger banks here such as BDO, BPI, PNB etc will not do business with someone who does not have an ACR card but sometimes will wave it if you can prove you actually live here by producing bills or ownership of a condo and bills.And only a few of the smaller banks will do business with a foreigner and that would only be on a limited basis unless you are recommended by another expat they happen to do business with. There are a few exceptions who seem to bend the rules but that again would only be on a limited basis that they would do business with you.
  • Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted
9a visitor's visa that you are referring....Isn't that simply a one year multiple entry visa ?? For $90.00, one year, $30.00 for 90 days..etc.. Thus 9a visa that I get from local consulate gives me no more advantage with visa extension fee than visa I get at the airport. Another words, visa extension and multiple entry visa is a separate issue. Many people are confused about this..( I was, and even consulates until I pressed for more). I asked the consulate, they had no information on paying less for extension because one has 9a. Extension fees are same. If I am missing something here then PLEASE explain..thanks..
Let me try and explain this to you again, this time I will speak with as good an imitation of an American accent as I can muster :lol:If you get a one year multiple-entry 9(a) Visitors Visa from a Philippine Consulate prior to your arrival, you will be admitted to the Philippines for 59 days initially. Before that period has expired, you can obtain a further 59 day extension and so on and so on. The cost of each extension will be - typically averaging 2,800 Pesos over a year (5 extensions).If you come here without a 9(a) Visitors Visa you will be admitted for an initial period of 21 days. Before that period has expired, you can apply for a 38 day extension which will cost about the same as a 9(a) Visa. Thereafter each extension will be for 59 days at a cost averaging around 3,500 Pesos.Note that the extension costs are those that have been reported recently by people who've obtained extensions over the last 12 months.
ACR-I: People talking about getting ACR-I card. Again, isn't this a simple registration procedure ?? It is not replacement for a visa. Another words, it's not a visa, simply easier way to track foreigners in PI. I can't find anywhere how to apply for ACR-I. In addition, having ACR-I gives no additional advantage in paying less for extension. Currently, BOI relies on 59 day extension information, but ACR-I gives them better tracking system.
You can not apply for an ACR-I card in Cebu as a Visitor: they are not being issued here yet.
As for banking advantage with ACR_I, I am not understanding you. Anyone can have banck account in PI.
Please see my reply to Lee which follows.

Markham
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lee, I thought we covered all this over a rum or three at Badgers!

I am not sure where you got that idea. None of the international banks such as HSBC or Citibank here will do business with someone who does not have an ACR card.
That's partly true. I don't know about CitiBank but HSBC won't open any account for a non-resident who applies here. The account(s) can only be opened upon application to HSBC Bank in that person's home country by completing application forms sent to HSBC's International Banking Division (which just so happens to be in the UK). Once you have an account (with HSBC here) they will open extra accounts subject to their minimum deposit terms (minimum of Edited by Markham
  • Like 1