Tourist Visa Information

TheMason
Posted
Posted
The Philippine Government wants all long-stay foreigners to be accounted for and documented. The term "ACR-I card" simply means "Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card" and there are certain benefits to holding one, such as where banking is concerned. It currently costs PHP450 (around $10) annually. They are already required for other Visa classes including 9(f) Student, 9(g) Work and 13(a) Spousal.
The 450 pesos is the renewal fee for an ACR card. The initial application and issuance of an ACR card costs between 5-6k pesos. I recently applied for an ACR card as part of my 13(a) visa issuance. The ACR fees were distinct and separate from the 13(a) fees.When the cards become mandatory for visitors here more than 6 months, I would expect the same ACR fees to apply to apply to all ACR applicants. I suspect requiring an ACR card for people staying longer than 6 months will be a huge new revenue stream for BI.

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Lee, I thought we covered all this over a rum or three at Badgers!
I am not sure where you got that idea. None of the international banks such as HSBC or Citibank here will do business with someone who does not have an ACR card.
That's partly true. I don't know about CitiBank but HSBC won't open any account for a non-resident who applies here. The account(s) can only be opened upon application to HSBC Bank in that person's home country by completing application forms sent to HSBC's International Banking Division (which just so happens to be in the UK). Once you have an account (with HSBC here) they will open extra accounts subject to their minimum deposit terms (minimum of

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

WOW..Since my last entry to this forum, website appearance changed...Thanks to whoever is responsible... Back to the topic. Maybe 9a visa (one year for $90.00 at overseas consulate) does provide for lesser extension fee. I will trust the forum member's word for it though neither consulate or any other agencies can confirm it. I am told fees are the same whether have 9a visa or just come and get first 21 day free visa. But since this post I will confirm more. Here's the summary of fees between 9a and no 9a visa for one year. 9a visa before coming to PI: At Consulate, P4,230 ($90.00 @ P47) Five extensions. P14,000 (P2,800 x 12 months) Total over one year...P18,230 or P1,500/month..Now. no 9a visa... 38 day... p3,030 (first two months) 60 - 180 days... P8,600 (P4,300 x 2 times for month 4 - 6) 180 - 360 days...P11,250 (P3,750 x 3 times) Total: P22,880 or P1,900 /month..As for ACR-I and banks...I live in CA. I opened BPI peso account as a US citizen. I have online and ATM card is waiting for me in Cebu. I ahve transferred $$ from my US bank to BPI without any problems... There is BPI, PNB branches in CA. These are the bank officials. They have no idea why anyone need ACR or any other documents.... I can even open dollar account i Cebu if I want...So the moral of the story it this... The prevailing wisdom of about banking is wrong. I have done extensive research and personally opened bank accounts as a US citizen with absolutely no conection with PI. Let's remember this is PI...what it is and "what it REALLY is " is two different...Also, I can transfer $$$ from US to PI for less than P120 per $3,000 all day long...If anyone is interestd let me know.. No check deposits, no holding funds by the bank for 30 days...

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

I did little more research on ACR-I card...Isn't ACR-I relates to 13a or permanent visa situation, and does not apply to tourist visas ?? I mean tourist just visiting PI can not get an ACR-I, right?? Even after 6 months of stay, this could be the last time to visit PI, so why bother with ACR ??My motivation for this post was to discern what options TOURISTs have if they want to stay in PI for long time. So far the answer is keep extending every 59 days and pay the fees, and leave PI once every 16 or 24 months.. Consider it as cost of living in PI... Is this correct???As for banking, they will take your money everyway they can. Anyone with a valid passport (ID) and money can open an bank account in PI or anywhere in the world. I was somewhat surprised with replies on the banking matter. It's not difficult ... Than again, please correct me if I am wrong...I want to be informed.I hear of expats depositing checks for 30 day hold by PI banks, or pay fees to bank for transferring money from US to PI bank..etc...Why??? It's cheap, simple and same day access on fund transfers. Even ATMS..why pay fees to use US ATM in PI..Get PI bank account and ATM, then cash WD is free.Its' either I am really simplifying banking in PI or I must be really off base.By the way, those who invest in stocks/bonds in US and hace PI relatives, you can have TONS on IRS tax..Let me know if interested...

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Rising Sun, it appears that you seem to know more than people who live in the Philippines, you are in for a rude awakening once you get here. When in the PI things do not work like people in the states tell you they do.Second, opening an account in a Philippine bank in the US is not the same as trying to open one once your are in the PI, but since you already have that account, I highly recommend that you get a dollar and peso account because it will make it easier to hold dollars until the exchange rate is the best to change at a money changer. Money changers here usually pay way more than banks do, and having dollars lets you pick the time to change them because they go up and own like a bouncing ball. Rising, I think you are in the mode of showing everyone how much you think you know, but once you move to the Philippines, you are going to see how little you actually know about how things are done here. Do yourself a favor and learn from the guys who actually live here, or learn the hard way yourself.

RisingSun
Posted
Posted

Mr. LeeI am "shocked" !!! In no way am I trying to show how much I know. I think your comments are very general disregard to the honest effort I am making to learn about PI. Fact is I don't know !!!, that's why I am on this forum. I asked about tourist visa extension from actual experienced people. Then I only tried to summarize so I won't miss anything since there seems to be conflicting informations. Truth is for someone like me who is new to PI, visa information is very confusing... Everyone seems to have opinions. That is why I want to hear from actual people who are using tourist visa. regarding banking...that was not the topic of this post, but it's OK. I do know several people in PI who opened bank accounts with passport as ID, no ACR. In addition, I opened an account from US, and was told by BPI bank officials that I can open anything in PI. That is in direct contradiction to several replies on this post. This information is from actual experience, not an opinion. I think it deserve some respect.Additionally, I wanted to share what I learned for the benefit of members. If that is a threat to the members, then I will keep it to myself from now on.I am trying to learn from those who live in PI. But when it is limited or conflicting then I should feel free to share, I hope..I am very disappointed !!!!I will make this my last posting and move on....

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rising my friend, nothing is as it seems in the Philippines. The reason that you get conflicting answers is because that is what actually happens here in the Philippines. It seems laws and rules are meant to be interpreted by those who have the power to do so. Prices can change from one office to another or sometimes by the person who asks the price. As far as bank accounts, you made two bold statements and that is why I corrected you. Just because you know a few people who opened accounts here does not mean that anyone can, as you stated and I quote"As for banking advantage with ACR_I, I am not understanding you. Anyone can have banck account in PI." "As for banking, they will take your money everyway they can. Anyone with a valid passport (ID) and money can open an bank account in PI or anywhere in the world." Yes anyone who opens one in the states can have one but not everyone is from the states, and many are already in the Philippines and will not be able to open accounts at most banks here, and people worldwide read this forum and others, so the info should be correct that they get.The purpose of my post was not to stop you from asking questions, it was to wake you up and let you realize that things do not work the way you think they do, and in fact they often do not work at all here the way we would expect them to as Americans or as the info you get from people based in the USA who workd for the Philippine govt. The system here is very different and I often have to scratch my head and ask my wife and others why, and the only answer I ever seem to get is "this is the Philippines and that is how things are." You will see soon enough and then you will change your whole outlook. Just because things make sense to us, does not mean that is how they will be done here and we have no rights here to try to change them. Sorry my friend if you got upset with what I wrote, but you needed a reality check and you will be in for a rude awakening once you are here, if you do not slow down and listen to the people who are actually here.added, none of us know it all and I keep learning everyday

Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 1

Markham
Posted
Posted
The Philippine Government wants all long-stay foreigners to be accounted for and documented. The term "ACR-I card" simply means "Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card" and there are certain benefits to holding one, such as where banking is concerned. It currently costs PHP450 (around $10) annually. They are already required for other Visa classes including 9(f) Student, 9(g) Work and 13(a) Spousal.
The 450 pesos is the renewal fee for an ACR card. The initial application and issuance of an ACR card costs between 5-6k pesos. I recently applied for an ACR card as part of my 13(a) visa issuance. The ACR fees were distinct and separate from the 13(a) fees.When the cards become mandatory for visitors here more than 6 months, I would expect the same ACR fees to apply to apply to all ACR applicants. I suspect requiring an ACR card for people staying longer than 6 months will be a huge new revenue stream for BI.
I stand corrected, thank you, TheMason!With regard to your last sentence, yes, it very likely will be. And that will be even greater if you have to relinquish your ACR-I card at the border when you depart after 12/14/24 months and then re-apply 6 months in to your next stay.As an aside, can you give me an indication of the fees payable for a 13(a). A good friend of mine got married here last weekend and has to go through that process shortly.

Markham
Posted
Posted
Mr. LeeI am "shocked" !!! In no way am I trying to show how much I know. I think your comments are very general disregard to the honest effort I am making to learn about PI. Fact is I don't know !!!, that's why I am on this forum. I asked about tourist visa extension from actual experienced people. Then I only tried to summarize so I won't miss anything since there seems to be conflicting informations. Truth is for someone like me who is new to PI, visa information is very confusing... Everyone seems to have opinions. That is why I want to hear from actual people who are using tourist visa. regarding banking...that was not the topic of this post, but it's OK. I do know several people in PI who opened bank accounts with passport as ID, no ACR. In addition, I opened an account from US, and was told by BPI bank officials that I can open anything in PI. That is in direct contradiction to several replies on this post. This information is from actual experience, not an opinion. I think it deserve some respect.Additionally, I wanted to share what I learned for the benefit of members. If that is a threat to the members, then I will keep it to myself from now on.I am trying to learn from those who live in PI. But when it is limited or conflicting then I should feel free to share, I hope..I am very disappointed !!!!I will make this my last posting and move on....
RisingSun,You are to be applauded for your efforts in trying to research and prepare yourself for your move here; many people simply don't bother and find themselves coming unstuck because they think everything should be as it is in their home country.The fact is, nothing is quite as it seems here. Government websites are more often than not out of date with current regulations, fees etc. The only solid information is that obtained first hand, on the ground here and that is the basis that Lee and myself have used in answering your questions.From personal experience I can tell you that banks abroad have very little understanding of banking regulations here. Prior to my move here, I spent a considerable amount of time talking with a charming lady in HSBC's International Division. However she did admit to a lack of knowledge in some areas ("can I deposit Pesos cash/cheques in my Peso account?") but at least she didn't try to fob me off with any answer just to get rid of me: she was honest and said "I don't know but when you find out, can you tell me the answer". I did and I know she's updated their information accordingly.The one thing you must bear in mind is that everything written in this thread can change at the whim of some official.So don't pick up your marbles and go off in a huff, research and learn from others!

Markham
Posted
Posted
I did little more research on ACR-I card...Isn't ACR-I relates to 13a or permanent visa situation, and does not apply to tourist visas ?? I mean tourist just visiting PI can not get an ACR-I, right?? Even after 6 months of stay, this could be the last time to visit PI, so why bother with ACR ??
Currently ACR-I Cards are only required for resident aliens. However, the Philippine Government wants better knowledge and greater control over long-term visitors and there is a sizeable number (around 700,000) undocumented over-stayers that BoI has lost tracks of. Therefore it proposes to introduce ACR-I Cards for all visitors who remain in the country for six months or longer.
My motivation for this post was to discern what options TOURISTs have if they want to stay in PI for long time. So far the answer is keep extending every 59 days and pay the fees, and leave PI once every 16 or 24 months.. Consider it as cost of living in PI... Is this correct???
Yes. Of course you could apply for a Non-Quota Visa once you are here, but that will be rather expensive as another member here can atest.
As for banking, they will take your money everyway they can. Anyone with a valid passport (ID) and money can open an bank account in PI or anywhere in the world. I was somewhat surprised with replies on the banking matter. It's not difficult ... Than again, please correct me if I am wrong...I want to be informed.
That's not true. I know for a certain fact that you can not walk into a bank in Moscow with your Passport and open a bank account. The Philippine Central Bank imposes restrictions on foreigner-held bank accounts that we've already outlined in earlier answers. However, the reality is that some banks may disregard some of the regulations in order to accommodate you (or rather, your cash).
I hear of expats depositing checks for 30 day hold by PI banks, or pay fees to bank for transferring money from US to PI bank..etc...Why???
That is the way it is. Get used to it. Welcome to the Philippines! Generally speaking banks levy a charge for all transfers regardless of where the source and destination accounts are located. The amount of that fee varies bank to bank and sometimes by account type. It's one of the ways banks generate revenue.Do not make the mistake of allowing your western thinking to dictate how you believe things should be here.