Tourist Visa Information

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
Mr. LeeI am "shocked" !!! In no way am I trying to show how much I know. I think your comments are very general disregard to the honest effort I am making to learn about PI. Fact is I don't know !!!, that's why I am on this forum. I asked about tourist visa extension from actual experienced people. Then I only tried to summarize so I won't miss anything since there seems to be conflicting informations. Truth is for someone like me who is new to PI, visa information is very confusing... Everyone seems to have opinions. That is why I want to hear from actual people who are using tourist visa. regarding banking...that was not the topic of this post, but it's OK. I do know several people in PI who opened bank accounts with passport as ID, no ACR. In addition, I opened an account from US, and was told by BPI bank officials that I can open anything in PI. That is in direct contradiction to several replies on this post. This information is from actual experience, not an opinion. I think it deserve some respect.Additionally, I wanted to share what I learned for the benefit of members. If that is a threat to the members, then I will keep it to myself from now on.I am trying to learn from those who live in PI. But when it is limited or conflicting then I should feel free to share, I hope..I am very disappointed !!!!I will make this my last posting and move on....
If you already have an account with BPI you might be able to do that but I went to several BPI branches in the Philippines and all wanted the ACR card. It varies from bank to bank and even among branches of the same bank. It is helpful if you know someone. I just went through that drill on my last trip.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
Mr. LeeI am "shocked" !!! In no way am I trying to show how much I know. I think your comments are very general disregard to the honest effort I am making to learn about PI. Fact is I don't know !!!, that's why I am on this forum. I asked about tourist visa extension from actual experienced people. Then I only tried to summarize so I won't miss anything since there seems to be conflicting informations. Truth is for someone like me who is new to PI, visa information is very confusing... Everyone seems to have opinions. That is why I want to hear from actual people who are using tourist visa. regarding banking...that was not the topic of this post, but it's OK. I do know several people in PI who opened bank accounts with passport as ID, no ACR. In addition, I opened an account from US, and was told by BPI bank officials that I can open anything in PI. That is in direct contradiction to several replies on this post. This information is from actual experience, not an opinion. I think it deserve some respect.Additionally, I wanted to share what I learned for the benefit of members. If that is a threat to the members, then I will keep it to myself from now on.I am trying to learn from those who live in PI. But when it is limited or conflicting then I should feel free to share, I hope..I am very disappointed !!!!I will make this my last posting and move on....
Sorry but I guess I hurt your feeling with my dose of reality. If what I said to you is enough to discourage you from posting, then you will surely not survive here in the Philippines, because what I said is nothing compared to what is in store for you trying to deal with everyday life here. To be on forums, you have to be thick skinned and to deal with life in the Philippines, you will have to have elephant hide.If any of the other guys think I was too hard on him, please feel free to chew me out. :th_thanx: Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 1

TheMason
Posted
Posted
As an aside, can you give me an indication of the fees payable for a 13(a). A good friend of mine got married here last weekend and has to go through that process shortly.
It was about 14k for the entire process, including the ACR card. I'm not sure of the exact amount. I'm a terrible record keeper and I had some other BI fees for extensions and exit clearances during this time. I haven't gone back to see the exact breakdown. Of all the fees I paid, only 1000 pesos was paid without a receipt. Apparently, their printer was broken that day.

Terp
Posted
Posted
Of all the fees I paid, only 1000 pesos was paid without a receipt. Apparently, their printer was broken that day.
You made out pretty good the day the printer was broken I paid 4000.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted

I've just completed my quota visa process and went to have my I card application processed at BI Mandaue yesterday as well as getting my exit clearance as I'm going back to the UK next week.Don't forget if you stay longer than 12 months there is a $37 (or is it $33?) exit tax in addition to the permission to leave charge.The I card is very confusing as the government websites are mostly either just plain wrong and /or out of date. Mark, I think it will be some time before they introduce the 6 month requirement and physically give you a card. Certainly no one at Manduae is gearing up for it, indeed the lady who processed my card application was most insistant that you could only have one if you where a quota holder or 13a. The main benefit I can see of the I card, assuming you have a HSBC or Citi overseas bank account and thus easy to open an account here with just your passport, is the ability to get a local credit card. That is going to save me a lot in exchange rates and special charges per transaction.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I've just completed my quota visa process and went to have my I card application processed at BI Mandaue yesterday as well as getting my exit clearance as I'm going back to the UK next week.Don't forget if you stay longer than 12 months there is a $37 (or is it $33?) exit tax in addition to the permission to leave charge.The I card is very confusing as the government websites are mostly either just plain wrong and /or out of date. Mark, I think it will be some time before they introduce the 6 month requirement and physically give you a card. Certainly no one at Manduae is gearing up for it, indeed the lady who processed my card application was most insistant that you could only have one if you where a quota holder or 13a. The main benefit I can see of the I card, assuming you have a HSBC or Citi overseas bank account and thus easy to open an account here with just your passport, is the ability to get a local credit card. That is going to save me a lot in exchange rates and special charges per transaction.
Thanks for the info. Have a great trip and come back soon.

Markham
Posted
Posted

John,

I've just completed my quota visa process and went to have my I card application processed at BI Mandaue yesterday as well as getting my exit clearance as I'm going back to the UK next week.
Don't forget you need a note from your mum if you wish to be excused the Wednesday evening sessions which resume this coming week! :PHow much did you have to pay for the Exit Clearance Certificate and what's it's validity - in other words, is there a set time period within which you should leave the country once it's been issued?
The I card is very confusing as the government websites are mostly either just plain wrong and /or out of date. Mark, I think it will be some time before they introduce the 6 month requirement and physically give you a card. Certainly no one at Manduae is gearing up for it, indeed the lady who processed my card application was most insistant that you could only have one if you where a quota holder or 13a.
That very same lady - or one of her colleagues - gave me the same information but she also said that I Cards are being issued for 9(a) Visa Holders, but not for Visa Waivers, at BoI Intramuros. Go figure!It would not surprise me one jot if, when the I Card is rolled-out nationally, BoI restricts those who enter under the Visa Waiver Scheme to a maximum six month stay and thereby forcing those who wish to remain longer to obtain Visas from Embassies abroad who can, and do, do background checks on applicants far more easily. Nor would it surprise me if a 9(a) Visa becomes mandatory for those who enter the country and subsequently seek a more permanent visa - such as 13(a), 9(g) or non-quota.Mark

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted
John,
I've just completed my quota visa process and went to have my I card application processed at BI Mandaue yesterday as well as getting my exit clearance as I'm going back to the UK next week.
Don't forget you need a note from your mum if you wish to be excused the Wednesday evening sessions which resume this coming week! :PHow much did you have to pay for the Exit Clearance Certificate and what's it's validity - in other words, is there a set time period within which you should leave the country once it's been issued?
The I card is very confusing as the government websites are mostly either just plain wrong and /or out of date. Mark, I think it will be some time before they introduce the 6 month requirement and physically give you a card. Certainly no one at Manduae is gearing up for it, indeed the lady who processed my card application was most insistant that you could only have one if you where a quota holder or 13a.
That very same lady - or one of her colleagues - gave me the same information but she also said that I Cards are being issued for 9(a) Visa Holders, but not for Visa Waivers, at BoI Intramuros. Go figure!It would not surprise me one jot if, when the I Card is rolled-out nationally, BoI restricts those who enter under the Visa Waiver Scheme to a maximum six month stay and thereby forcing those who wish to remain longer to obtain Visas from Embassies abroad who can, and do, do background checks on applicants far more easily. Nor would it surprise me if a 9(a) Visa becomes mandatory for those who enter the country and subsequently seek a more permanent visa - such as 13(a), 9(g) or non-quota.Mark
HI mark, the cost was 2,370p plus 500p for the express lane! In addition you need several photos.It is valid for a month from the date of issue, in my case 3rd May. With a quota visa, from now on I can just pay the emmigration exit fee at the airport although I have been advised to get one from the BI office as the airport officials may have a tendancy to ask for more. Surely not one thinks but with the leverage of a departing plane I can see how it is possible to get a good tip.

johnrxx99
Posted
Posted
Many thanks Lee.

• 3 months later...
Jungle
Posted
Posted
Many thanks Lee.
talking about banking, i went into BPI to get joint account with the wife... no card, no account.....i went around the corner to metrobank, no worries, just show your passport and marrage cert.i was issued with atm card, and also fixed up with internet banking..this was in cdo.