Acr-I Card Issue Question

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
The main advantage of having the ACR-I card is that you can open a bank account once you have the card. There are many benefits that you don't see unless you look - such as faster processing time when entering or leaving the country, pretty well ensures you won't be accused of having false documents (illegal immigration officer shake-downs - which the country is trying to get rid of), you can pay online for immigration fees, and gives you an extra nice little piece of photo ID.

I'm sure that's what the web site says but, with the exception of some banks asking for it to open an acct (mine didn't), has anyone had any use or need for this card? I haven't heard of any benefits to the holder; there are, of course, fees for obtaining and renewing one.

The only time I have had to use it was for having globe internet installed when I opened a bank account they never asked for it.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I'm with you Mike. Any time anyone has asked to see my ACR card they look and say its just a Tourist ACR card and not valid for bank accounts or anything else. I have not found a use for it and I go out of my way to avoid getting one. How do I do that? Well my current tourist ACR card expired Dec 12 so I made sure to renew my tourist Visa on Dec 10 when the card was still valid. I will get 2 more months before anyone asks to see the card and then there is no penalty for late renewal of the ACR card so I am at least that far ahead. If they forget to ask me to renew I will get yet another 2 months. (That has happened.)

Or just pay the 2500 pesos and don't worry about it. ($50 for card and 500 pesos for express fee)

My card expired 14 November. When I went to renew my visa I asked about renewing it and was told to renew it in February.which for me is ok as I go for my 13a then.
  • Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
The main advantage of having the ACR-I card is that you can open a bank account once you have the card. There are many benefits that you don't see unless you look - such as faster processing time when entering or leaving the country, pretty well ensures you won't be accused of having false documents (illegal immigration officer shake-downs - which the country is trying to get rid of), you can pay online for immigration fees, and gives you an extra nice little piece of photo ID.

I'm sure that's what the web site says but, with the exception of some banks asking for it to open an acct (mine didn't), has anyone had any use or need for this card? I haven't heard of any benefits to the holder; there are, of course, fees for obtaining and renewing one.

The only time I have had to use it was for having globe internet installed when I opened a bank account they never asked for it.

I was able to open a bank account and sign up for a data plan with Smart within a week of arriving after I had obtained the 38 day visa renewal early so I had the certificate from BI that I was a person in good standing.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
JoBu
Posted
Posted

It's an old discussion already, but reading all this here I don't have the feeling the information is really comprehensive. Aside form this my experience at the authorities was similar. No one seemed to have a clue about all requirements to apply for an ACR-I card for example. I got wrong information and was sent from one counter to another. It took me half a day to gather all information piece by piece to finally get an idea about the requirements. And the official website of the Bureau of Immigration wasn't comprehensive either.

And I'm still quite confused and not clear about the advantage of this plastic card and if it's really necessary to aplly for. Or if it can be legally avoided (let's put it that way ...)

I'm married to a Filipina and I got my 1st ACR-I card just a few months ago. This due to the fact that I applied for 13A in order to not always have this visa extension hassle when coming back home from a job (I'm basically balikbayan ... not working in the Phils but with NGO's all over the world). And I'm also not always entering the country together with my wife. Which would get me a balikbayan visa valid for 1 year when presenting our marriage certificate at the same time. Usually way enough for me.

However the 1st ACR-I card is valid for 1 year. The second one (extension) is already valid for 5 years I was told at the Bureau of Immigration. Applying for the extension is less time consuming since less paperwork is required. In fact it's also less costly, but still ...

As I understood, one has no choice if one wants to stay for longer then 56 days in the Phils for example and if one doesn't want to enter on a tourist visa, which has to be extended over and over again. Of course going along with all the fees. I don't even know how often an extension would be possible before one finally has to leave the country. I read somewhere extension is possible up to 1 year, always in steps of several weeks/months?

The whole procedure getting this plastic card is very time consuming and pretty costly (considering average income in the Phils). Being asked to pay an express lane fee though no one lined up in front of me is a joke. All in all I think I finally paid more than PHP 8,000 for my 1st card. Later leaving the country to start a new job again, I had to pay PHP 2,880 at the airport. This was for an Emigration Clearance Certificate, HeadTax, Legal Research fee ... and so on ... of course again an express lane fee again as well (though I was again the only guy in front of that counter).

However on the website of the Bureau of Immigration is clearly mentioned: "All aliens who have been duly issued immigrant or non-immigrant visa and all other aliens who are required to register under the Alien Registration Act are required to register and apply for the ACR I-Card."

The advantages mentioned on that very same website in my opinion don't really justify to apply for such a card. The whole procedure at the airport when leaving the country took me as long as usual ... even longer actually since I had to see the cashier. When I opened a bank account no one was asking for my ACR-I card either. It's obviously only of interest for the immigration authorities.

So what's the point if not money making? Did I miss something? Is there anything I could consider more practicable in my situation ... working abroad ... coming back to the Phils usually 2 to 3 times a year, sometimes only staying a few weeks, and sometimes even a few months?

I'm grateful for any advise. Thanks a lot in advance.

MikeB
Posted
Posted
So what's the point if not money making? Did I miss something? Is there anything I could consider more practicable in my situation ... working abroad ... coming back to the Phils usually 2 to 3 times a year, sometimes only staying a few weeks, and sometimes even a few months?

It's like the old Fram oil filter commercial, "You can pay me now or you can pay me later". One way or the other you pay although the 13a must have gone up since you applied because I paid over p10k a little over a month ago. I wouldn't publicly say what I think of the whole thing but it is what it is, we can't change it. If you are traveling with your spouse the best deal is the balikbayan privilege; no fees, no BI. Just leave before the year's up. Repeat as needed.

• Like 4

bootleultras
Posted
Posted

I needed it to open my bank account earlier this week & I have also found it useful when having to go into office buildings etc when they require a valid ID. I would much rather use this card than cary around my UK drivers license or passport.

• Like 4

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

I needed it to open my bank account earlier this week & I have also found it useful when having to go into office buildings etc when they require a valid ID. I would much rather use this card than cary around my UK drivers license or passport.

here is some past articles on WHAT ID TO CARRY. maybe this can help you and the newer members

closed topic

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had put this in another post but I will redo it here - just to save some time for others looking for the information - as well as I can't remember which post I put this in at the moment.. hehe.. All this info can be found here or through the related articles link at the bottom of the article itself. Thanks to BI for this info.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=107&Itemid=61

ALIEN CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION

THE ACR I-CARD PROJECT

The ACR I-Card Project automates the entire process of alien registration and integrates the issuance of various paper-based alien documentations into a microchip-based identification card called the ACR I-Card.

THE ACR I-CARD

The ACR I-Card is a microchip-based credit card-sized identification card issued to registered alien replacing the paper-based ACR. It has an embedded computer chip with biometric security features capable of data management and can be updated electronically. It is fraud and tamper-proof/resistant with the following data:

Personal information such as name, age, date of birth, place of birth, etc.

Photograph

Date and status of admission

Visa type granted/date granted/date issued/

expiry date

Biometric information (2 digitalized fingerprint templates)

Signature

ACR and ICR/NBCR/CRTV/CRTT/CRTS and CRPE numbers

Travel details

Payment of immigration fees details

The ACR I-Card likewise serves as the Emigration Clearance Certificate (ECC), Re-entry Permit (RP) and Special Return Certificate (SRC) of the holder upon payment of the required fees.

Hereunder is the complete reproduction of the ACR I-Card showing its front and back:

acr-front.jpgacr-back.jpg

ADVANTAGES AND CONVENIENCE OF ACR I-CARD

To the ACR I-Card Holders:

They are provided faster processing time at the ports of entry and exit with a maximum of 10 seconds for the verification process.

They are assured that they are holding a genuinely issued ACR.

They receive faster and more efficient service at the BI offices for immigration requirements.

They are provided incomparable convenience as they are holding only one immigration document. No more paper-based ACR and ICR/NBCR/CRTV/CRTT/CRTS/CRPE, ECC, SRC and RP.

Quick verification of information.

Eliminates illegal and unwarranted detention of alien residents. The implementation of the ACR I-Card Project will prevent and eliminate instances where aliens are indiscriminately accosted, harassed and detained on mere suspicion of possessing fake or fraudulent immigration documents.

It decreases the cost of transacting business with the Bureau of Immigration as the ACR I-Card Project will eliminate fixers, illegal middlemen and syndicates issuing falsified documents.

To The Bureau of Immigration:

Automates process of alien registration.

Eliminates fraud in all aspects of alien registration as well as in the immigration entry/exit points in the country.

Reduces the resources needed for manual passport checks and encoding of pertinent data while drastically improving immigration process time.

Achieves higher revenues for the Bureau and the national government through increase in number of aliens who will register and improved efficiency in collection of fees.

Enhances security of national borders against entry or exit of terrorists and transnational criminals; eliminates human smuggling activities.

Increases efficiency of services to the resident aliens.

Improves internal governance by eliminating fixers and illegal personnel issuing falsified documents.

COVERAGE OF THE ACR I-CARD

All registered aliens, including their dependents, who have been duly issued paper-based ACRs are required to replace their ACRs with the hi-tech microchip-based ACR I-Card.

All aliens who have been duly issued immigrant or non-immigrant visa and all other aliens who are required to register under the Alien Registration Act are required to register and apply for the ACR I-Card. They are the following:

Native-Born

Permanent residents under:

a. Section 13 and its sub-sections

b. Republic Act Nos. 7919 and 8274 (Alien Social Integration Act of 1995)

c. Executive Order No. 324 (series of 1988)

d. Note Verbale No. 903730 dated Sept. 17, 1990 between Philippines and India

Temporary residents under:

a. BI Law Instruction No. 33 (Series of 1988)

b. BI Law Instruction No.13 (Series of 1988)

c. BI Law Instruction No. 48 (Series of 1988)

d. BI Memo Order No. ADD-01-038 (series of 2001)

e. BI Memo Order No. ADD-02-015 (series of 2002)

Temporary visitor under Section 9(a), PIA –one who is coming for business or pleasure or for reasons of health if his stay exceeds six (6) months

Treaty trader under Section 9(d), PIA

Temporary student under Section 9(f), PIA

Pre-arranged employee under Section 9(g), PIA

Such other aliens as may be required by law to register

For those who are required to register but exempted from immigration fees, they may opt to avail of the ACR I-Card subject to payment of the card fee.

PLACE OF APPLICATION/SPECIAL ARRANGEMENT

Applications for issuance of ACR I-Card shall be made at the Main Office, Bureau of Immigration, Intramuros, Manila.

For those residing outside Metro Manila, applications may be made at the following district offices:

San Fernando, La Union

Aparri, Cagayan

Subic

Batangas

Legaspi

Iloilo

Cebu

Tacloban

Zamboanga

Cagayan De Oro

Surigao, and

Davao

If circumstances warrant and upon request of special arrangement, applications and data capturing may be made at the residence of the visa holder in view of his/her physical incapacity.

ACR I-CARD

REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES FOR ACR I-CARD RENEWAL OR RE-ISSUANCE

ACR I-Card Issuance

1. For Paper_Based ACR Holder

a. Duly accomplished renewal/reissuance application form;

b. Original ACR;

c. Photocopy of the Immigrant Certificate of Residence (ICR) / Native-Born Certificate of Residence (NBCR) / Certificate of Residence for Temporary Visitor (CRTV) / Certificate of Residence for Pre-Arranged Employment (CRPE) / Certificate of Residence for Temporary Student;

d. Photocopy of Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp); and

e. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees.

2. For Newly Approved Visa

a. Duly accomplished application form;

b. Photocopy of the Board of Commissioner's (BOC) Order;

c. Photocopy of Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp); and

d. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees.

3. For Student Visa

b. Photocopy of the Commissioner's Order of approval;

c. Photocopy of Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp); and

4. For Native-Born Registrants

b. National Statistics Office (NSO) Certified Birth Certificate;

c. Photocopy of ACR and ICR of the parents;

ACR I-CARD RENEWAL

1. For Expired/Expiring ACR I-Card

2. For Student Visa

b. The original ACR I-Card;

c. Photocopy of passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp);

d. Photocopy of the Student Desk-approved Order granting 9(f) visa extension; and

3. For Re-Registration

c. For Immigrant: Photocopy of issued Immigrant Certificate of Residence (ICR);

d. For Non-Immigrant: Certified True Copy of Board of Commissioner's (BOC) Order;

e. Photocopy of parent's documents (ACR I-Card/Passport);

f. Photocopy of Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp);

g. Two (2) pieces "2 x 2" color photos (in white background; without eyeglasses; taken within the last six (6) months); and

h. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees.

4. For Change of Visa Status

a. Duly accomplished renewal/re-issuance application form;

c. Photocopy of passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp);

d. Photocopy of the Board of Commissioner's (BOC) Order; and

5. For Change of Visa Status

c. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees.

ACR I-CARD RE-ISSUANCE

1. For Lost ACR I-Card

a. Duly accomplished renewal / re-issuance application form;

b. Letter-request for reissuance of the ACR I-Card;

c. Duly notarized Affidavit of Loss;

d. Police Report on ACR I-Card loss;

e. Photocopy of the Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp); and

f. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees.

2. For Damaged ACR I-Card

b. Original ACR I-Card; and

3. For Rejected ACR I-Card

4. For Amendments

I. Name

b. Original copy of the Court Order (if applicable);

c. National Statistic Office (NSO) Certified Birth Certificate (for Native-Born applicants);

d. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees; and

e. Photocopy of Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp).

II. Citizenship / Nationality

b. Original copy of Official document proving change of citizenship / nationality;

c. Photocopy of Official Receipt showing payment of the applicable fees; and

e. Photocopy of Passport (biodata page, visa implementation page and visa page with latest arrival stamp).

III. Civil Status

b. Original copy of official document proving change of civil status (e.g. NSO certified/duly authenticated Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate or

Annualment/Divorce Decree);

IV. Address

b. Certificate of Residence from the Barangay Captain;

V. To Effect New ACR I-Card Validity

Edited by I am bob
insert link to pertinent BI page
  • Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

here is some past articles on WHAT ID TO CARRY. maybe this can help you and the newer members

http://www.philippin...-carry/��closed topic

http://www.philippin...711-acr-1-card/

http://www.philippin...at-id-to-carry/

You must have posted this just after I started putting together my last post. Your second link is the one I was referring to when I said I had posted that information once before. NP! Now we just have more references to it. Thank you sir!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I carry a color copy of my passport ID page. Most often I use that when I am asked for an ID as part of verifying a credit card or ATM debit card purchase. Since I arrived Dec 8 I have only had to use my passport for my VISA extension at BI and opening my accounts at BPI.

• Like 2