Husband Of Us Diplomat Killed In Makati City

Thomas
Posted
Posted

There will be no convictions.

There were two witnesses, a taxi driver and the security guard. The taxi driver is nowhere to be found and you can bet the defence have found the guard and, more important, his family....

But there is a VIDEO showing TWO hunting the killed, and SHOW stabbing moves...

Anyone know if Philippine law can find them guily to a milder level of killing/murder (e g murder of second degree*), if they are charged for murder of first degree* ?

( *   Or is it the second which is the harder?)

• 3 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Appears that the story is over.

the 4 men. 2 of them the charges was dropped and the other 2 received probation(-wtf_)

now the link/story

The United States Embassy in Manila expressed dismay over the developments in the George Anikow case.

Anikow was a US Marine who was stabbed to death inside an upscale subdivision in Makati City in November 2012.

The incident was caught on CCTV video.

Four Filipino suspects were granted bail in February 2013.

US Ambassador Philip Goldberg said they attempted to appeal the case but to no avail.

"Since that time, there has been a ruling in the case and the press didn't pick it up

. Two of the suspects were not convicted of any crime

and two were convicted of homicide and given probation.

Nobody has served a day for that brutal crime," he said in an ANC interview.

"Clearly, we are disappointed by it and somewhat bemused by it. We don't know why that would happen."

He said that while the justice department said the probation could be appealed, "it had already been appealed once and denied."

"It looks like the end of the road."

ANC HEADSTART, December 18, 2014

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/video/nation/metro-manila/12/18/14/what-happened-george-anikow-slay-case

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I am speechless on this.

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

Since that time, there has been a ruling in the case and the press didn't pick it up

That's quite an understatement, I can't find anything at all on this except the tiny ABC-CBN article. Not even a date it was adjudicated. I guess there's a good reason why "the press didn't pick it up". Compared to the screaming headlines when it happened that's quite a development. Based on the CCTV video and what little evidence was presented by the prosecution, I don't disagree with the homicide verdict; there was no real evidence to support murder charges against all four and they clearly had better lawyers. But probation for homicide? Even for 1st time offenders that is outrageous. Really a tragedy in all respects.  

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I am quite shocked it was actually settled so quickly.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

I am quite shocked it was actually settled so quickly.

yes under 2 years(24months). that must be a  judicial NEW RECORD

1. show what the value of a non Philippine life is worth.

2, could they use this as "tool" to get a lessor sentence for the marine who is currently awaiting trail for his misadventure

I too am XXXXXXXXXX

Last 11th Nov i asked a person i knew from the embassy(1 that i received updates)

and they had none to offer about this case.

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn

MikeB
Posted
Posted

It has nothing to with "the value of a non-filipino life" and everything to do with the fact that the defendants are from wealthy and connected families. 

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted (edited)

Nothing negative allowed so I have nothing to say.  What a great country.  Can't leave soon enough.

Edited by SubicSteve
not allowed
  • Like 1

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

It has nothing to with "the value of a non-filipino life" and everything to do with the fact that the defendants are from wealthy and connected families. 

MIKE B. i agree w/you yet beg to differ. (yes they had money)

but rarely have I seen when a Philippine native commits any type of crime against a non-native(foreigner)

do they get any harsh sentence must less a conviction.

YET when a foreigner commits the same or nearly exact crime. They the powers to be.(media and courts) will rant and rave against that person and usually a more severe punishment will be met out. 

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Two of the suspects were not convicted of any crime and two were convicted of homicide and given probation.
He said that while the justice department said the probation could be appealed, "it had already been appealed once and denied."
  According to the video I finf it OK, two of them got nothing

BUT for the other two the red marked quotes PROVES the FILIPIN LAW SYSTEM IS A BIG JOKE... :bash:  :1 (72):   :23_11_62[1]:  

• Like 1