Ensuring Personal Safety And Security In The Philippines

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Whenever I see this topic I ask myself what I would do differently in Mindanao, Manila or Cebu to what I would do in Los Angeles, New York, London or Sydney. The answer is nothing. Intrinsically the dangers in any of those places is very similar, but we are used to taking precautions on our own turf. We don't drive through Compton or if we have to don't leave the car, we don't walk through Central Park at night, or try to pick up girls in Brockley, or West Sydney. Yet we are aghast when a foreigner is robbed beaten or even murdered in parts of Manila, Cebu or CDO where the police won't even go unless in numbers. My advice to all expats is talk with people about where is safe and where it is not safe to go at nights and in all your journeys take the same precautions you would in a town or city in your own country

I agree with THAT part, not to GO to some places,

BUT don't forget the difference in poverty, and in Phili we kanos look different and easy to see because of the length :) And most Filipins believe ALL kanos are rich. So not odd it's biger risk for break ins in our HOMES. Many houses - belonging to Filipins to - in Phili has iron bars over all windows. In Sweden only SOME shops have, no homes, here it's better to NOT have bars over the windows, because keeping the chance to get OUT everywhere at fires.

• Like 1

Mike Bannister
Posted
Posted

Just a final thought,

I have lived for long periods in LA, Sydney, London, Auckland, Brisbane. I feel safer here than I ever felt in those cities. I wanted to thank Joe At Manila for the wisdom in his post, but apparently I have exceeded my thank quota for the day. It is my first post. Si I hope you read this and know that I appreciate the considerable thought and effort that you put into it

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Some well thought out suggestions and ideas thank you for sharing them!

Knowing and getting along well with those living nearby is key.

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Instead they argue with passion but rather low tone voices using as respectful words as possible

Hey Joe ..... you obviously didn't see the interaction between the taxi we were riding in and the stupid motorcycle rider that smashed into the side of the cab ..... he leaped off his motorcycle screaming and yelling his head off that the taxi should have know he wanted to turn there .and wanted the cab driver to pay for his bike ..... the traffic enforcer just ignored his ranting and raving and told him to fix his own bike or he would give him a ticket ..... it has been my observation that the person who usually yells the loudest in a traffic dispute is usually the winner ...... :hystery: :hystery: ...... but then I have only lived in Cebu City and the Cebuanos are loud anyway .... IMHO ...... :hystery: ..... :cheersty:

• Like 4

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted

The biggest safety message I can give is

Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time.

• Like 4

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
apparently I have exceeded my thank quota for the day

I don't recall there being a "thank" quota but will look into it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1