Ensuring Personal Safety And Security In The Philippines

Mike Bannister
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks,

I got the message "You have exceeded your thank quota for the day" so assumed that it was some kind of social control on those people who thank others all the time, but that's good isn't it. LOL

Edited by Mike Bannister
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

The biggest safety message I can give is

Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time.

You know, Jim, what you said makes so much sense...

Kind of makes you wonder about those who can't do this little thing...

:no:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted

The biggest safety message I can give is

Treat ALL Filipinos with respect ALL of the time.

You know, Jim, what you said makes so much sense...

Kind of makes you wonder about those who can't do this little thing...

:no:

Well. Not so little, if become damaged by HUGE stupidity... :no:

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Try to think of it in this way.... I'm a guest here.

• Like 3

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted
Instead they argue with passion but rather low tone voices using as respectful words as possible

Hey Joe ..... you obviously didn't see the interaction between the taxi we were riding in and the stupid motorcycle rider that smashed into the side of the cab ..... he leaped off his motorcycle screaming and yelling his head off that the taxi should have know he wanted to turn there .and wanted the cab driver to pay for his bike ..... the traffic enforcer just ignored his ranting and raving and told him to fix his own bike or he would give him a ticket ..... it has been my observation that the person who usually yells the loudest in a traffic dispute is usually the winner ...... :hystery: :hystery: ...... but then I have only lived in Cebu City and the Cebuanos are loud anyway .... IMHO ...... :hystery: ..... :cheersty:

I have observed a fair few accidents and incidents of confrontation in the Philippines, yes a few do result in an out and out battle, but many more show the characteristics mentioned by Joe. I think the latter is a better option as a visitor (even long term as I am) to confrontation, or aggression. My aim being to give myself time to get to a place of safety.

One situation which has just come to mind occurred in Iloilo, I was driving in the centre of town and a Jeepney tried to barge into my lane, and his mirror knocked my mirror and his mirror broke. The Jeepney driver appeared to have a meltdown and chased me for about 3km finally cutting me off by going the wrong way round a roundabout. He was demanding 2000 peso for his mirror and threatening violence. The passengers on the bus spent considerable time and energy talking that guy down, telling him it was no ones fault, the women stroking his shoulders and head men kneeling in front of him and holding his hands. By the time the traffic cop arrived a settlement had been negotiated 150 peso. Several of the passengers apologised saying that he was a good man with a family and asking me not to press matters, although if I chose to they would support me.

Yes these situations happen too. the best is to stay cool and do not raise voice or tones...Some of these people in order to drive these things with wheels called public transportation and to make their daily food, they have to be under drugs such as shabu or so. Just go on the wheel of one of them and try to drive...

I do not take their side for being a terror on the streets for the making of their living but that is the way it is and will not change.

Just for info and for the ones who do not know these details:

A jeepney or bus or taxi or tricycle even pedicycle which is not his own, he is just the driver, he works on commission from the total earnings of the day minus gas and damages.

Ask your self, if you were poor and your family's food was depending on it, how fast would you drive?

Now the goverment does nothing about it. There was recently a bill in the goverment that all these drivers to be on a salary and not on commission so they can drive more civilized. Big protests from the big sharks who own these companies, the bill was considered against the constitutions and retracted!!!! bahala na!!!!!! try to drive at Quezon City circle (where i pass at least twice daily) and suddenly you see less than an inch a huge bus overtaking you/throwing you from your lane on a curve with 80-100km/h....that is covered under the constitution though....What to say!!!!

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted
A jeepney or bus or taxi or tricycle even pedicycle which is not his own, he is just the driver, he works on commission from the total earnings of the day minus gas and damages.

And it can be even worse for them, if they have bought it by big expensive loans, which they have to pay back fast to not risk to lose both it and all he has paid for it so far.

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)

My personal precautions while in the Philippines include wearing clothes that don't stand out. No jewelry including a wristwatch. The amount of cash I carry is larger than most people, but it is divided and stored in different pockets and bags. Last emergency money, in the event of a robbery, is in my belt, which has an inner zippered compartment. The money I use to pay a taxi driver or restaurant is taken from one pocket only. The money was previously folded and tied with a rubber band with the smallest denomination on the outside.

Never get drunk. You become highly vulnerable. Use the buddy system whenever possible. I carry a whistle. If it is a robbery, don't hand over the money to the robber. Just drop it to the ground or scatter it and immediately run away. The robber has a choice of retrieving the money or chasing you. Always yell, "Fire! Fire!" People will run in your direction to determine the location of the fire. If you yell, "Help! Help!" they may scatter because the instinct is not to get involved. The difference is fire is considered a mutually shared danger and you are the person with the information. (Don't yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater as some people may get killed in the stampede.)

Edited by JJR
  • Like 5

lyno 47
Posted
Posted

the last time i was in cebu i had my pocket picked at ayala mall. i had my wallet in my front pocket,as i went down the escalator about four teenage girls and boys brushed past me on there way down in a hurry.at the bottom i see my wallet laying on the ground open with the cash gone.they left the wallet possibly coz my service badge and name tag are attached to the wallet thinking maybe i could identify them they ditched it.they must have watched me pay for my meal from outside the cafe and knew which pocket i had put my wallet in thats all it took for them to target me,they are as cunning as outhouse rodents.many have since told me to be aware of the malls.i will follow JJR,S advice from now on and put money in as many pockets as i can

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
i see my wallet laying on the ground open with the cash gone.they left the wallet possibly coz my service badge and name tag are attached to the wallet thinking maybe i could identify them

A police officer explained during a television program to search nearby trash bins if your wallet or purse are taken by a pickpocket. The reason is thieves don't want any incriminating evidence. They take your money and dispose either the wallet or purse. At least you recover identity cards, family photos, sometimes credit cards, and other valuables.

I also carry a throw away wallet, which includes an expired driver's license. Leaving an identity card is sometimes required for high security buildings. No one has ever confronted me that the driver's license is expired. If for some reason I should forget to retrieve it from security, there is no loss or need to return for it.

Edited by JJR
  • Like 4