Super Typhoon Pablo Enters Visayas

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

Will be bad for those areas hit, i am glad those mountains i see in the morning help us in Davao from suffering the strong winds, we will get rain and some areas will flood but they are the same areas that flood every times it rains hard, i live on a slight hill so no water ploblems for me and no rivers close, something to take into consideration when building or buying in the Philippines

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

It skipped by Palau and they are breathing a sigh of relief. Here is the latest on that.

Looks to hit Surigao del Norte on Tuesday morning.

• Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

my sister and bro inlaw live in C D O smack in the middle of its path ive sent a message to batten down the hatches hope they get through it

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Getting to many conflicting reports on just where it is coming across the Phils ..... latest form Typhoon 2000 (which by the way you can put on your android as "iTyphoon" from Google Play Store) now predicts that the eye will pass south of Cebu just clipping the lower tip ..... but who knows by tomorrow it could be headed toward Japan ..... while I don't want the eye to pass over Cebu City ..... I hate to wish it on someone else ..... :cheersty:

• Like 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"25 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users"

That's interesting, lots of people doing searches on this storm and being directed to this page. A lot of the tracks have it passing directly over Argao. I live several blocks from the sea, hope it stays that way.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Public Storm Warning Signal No. 1 is up in Bohol, Biliran, Camotes Island, Southern Leyte, Leyte, Eastern Samar and Western Samar in the Visayas region.

Likewise, Signal No. 1 is raised over Surigao del Sur, Surigao del Norte including Siargao Island, Dinagat Island, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Davao Oriental, Davao del Norte including Samal Island, Compostela Valley, Bukidnon, Misamis Oriental and Camiguin in Mindanao region.

http://www.pia.gov.ph/news/index.php?article=2131354467265

The problem I have with this info is that Surigao del Norte is projected to get hit sooner and harder than anywhere else so why only a Signal 1 warning.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

This page is VERY interesting.

http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/hl/hl112223.htm

It is interesting because they show a convergence of charts and it shows Japan and US predicting a hit on Cebu while the Philippines predicts Dumaguete.

• Like 1

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Pablo seems to stubbornly resist the predicted northward turn. Here's a recent update with charts from the JMA (Japan):

http://www.boholnewsdaily.com/boholnews-typhoon-pablo-possible-path-includes-bohol.html

Remember that the rotation is counter-clockwise so at landfall the area north of the eye will usually have the worst wind and storm surge. I hope all of you and your families are safe.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
Remember that the rotation is counter-clockwise

That leads to an interesting question.

The earth's rotation sets up an apparent force (called the Coriolis force) that pulls the winds to the right in the Northern Hemisphere (and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere). So when a low pressure starts to form north of the equator, the surface winds will flow inward trying to fill in the low and will be deflected to the right and a counter-clockwise rotation will be initiated. The opposite (a deflection to the left and a clockwise rotation) will occur south of the equator.
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D3.html

Thus the question is: Did the Typhoon start south of the equator and if so will it then continue to twist clockwise? Or do Typhoons ever cross the equator?

• Like 1