Super Typhoon Pablo Enters Visayas

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

"25 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users"

That's interesting, lots of people doing searches on this storm and being directed to this page. A lot of the tracks have it passing directly over Argao. I live several blocks from the sea, hope it stays that way.

TYPHOON BOPHA (PABLO) UPDATE NUMBER 021

Issued: 7:00 AM PhT (23:00 GMT) Monday 03 Dec 2012

Next Update: 1:00 PM PhT (05:00 GMT) Monday 03 Dec 2012

Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) no longer super as it moves quickly westward...now threatens Surigao and Agusan Provinces. The possible landfall area is along the Bislig-Hinatuan Area on Tuesday morning.

Important Note: Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) is almost three times the strength of Tropical Storm Washi (Sendong) which crossed North-Central Mindanao on December 16, 2011. Please take all precautionary measures on this dangerous cyclone.

typooh2000.com.ph

• Like 2

GregZ
Posted
Posted
why only a Signal 1 warning

Isn't this related to the storm strength? It was projected a 3 when arriving Cebu; now it is 1. Good thing! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Dougbert
Posted
Posted
Remember that the rotation is counter-clockwise

That leads to an interesting question.

The earth's rotation sets up an apparent force (called the Coriolis force) that pulls the winds to the right in the Northern Hemisphere (and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere). So when a low pressure starts to form north of the equator, the surface winds will flow inward trying to fill in the low and will be deflected to the right and a counter-clockwise rotation will be initiated. The opposite (a deflection to the left and a clockwise rotation) will occur south of the equator.
http://www.aoml.noaa...d/tcfaq/D3.html

Thus the question is: Did the Typhoon start south of the equator and if so will it then continue to twist clockwise? Or do Typhoons ever cross the equator?

I don't believe storms cross over as the N and S tropical bands move in opposite directions. But I'm only an amateur meteorologist, so I could easily be wrong!

Dougbert
Posted
Posted

Isn't this related to the storm strength? It was projected a 3 when arriving Cebu; now it is 1. Good thing! :thumbsup:

It is only indirectly related to strength. The "signal" codes are emergency response levels which trigger school closings, evacuations, etc. Pablo is still Cat 3 last time I checked. Very dangerous.

• Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
called the Coriolis force

Hopefully JAKE can give us advice on this?

It is only indirectly related to strength. The "signal" codes are emergency response levels which trigger school closings, evacuations, etc. Pablo is still Cat 3 last time I checked. Very dangerous.

Storm is a 3 but the areas so far are 1 , that will change in the next few 12-18 hours

here is the latest update at 145pm 3dec

WEATHER.COM.PH / T2K TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATES

TYPHOON BOPHA (PABLO) UPDATE NUMBER 022

Issued: 1:00 PM PhT (05:00 GMT) Monday 03 Dec 2012

Next Update: 7:00 PM PhT (11:00 GMT) Monday 03 Dec 2012

Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) a little weaker as it gained more speed westward closer to Eastern Mindanao...endangers Caraga Region. The possible landfall area is just to the south of Bislig City on Tuesday morning.

Important Note: Typhoon Bopha (Pablo) is almost three times the strength of Tropical Storm Washi (Sendong) which crossed North-Central Mindanao on December 16, 2011.

Please take all precautionary measures on this dangerous cyclone.

Residents and visitors along Mindanao and Visayas should closely monitor the development of Bopha (Pablo).

CURRENT STORM ANALYSIS

As of 12 noon today, the eye of Typhoon Bopha was located over the Philippine Sea...about 506 km east-southeast of Bislig City, Surigao Del Sur or 563 km east-southeast of Metro Davao...currently moving westward with a forward speed of 30 km/hr in the general direction of Caraga Region.

Maximum Sustained Winds (1-min. avg) have decreased to 205 km/hr near the center with higher gusts.

Typhoon Force Winds (118 km/hr or more) extend outward up to 55 kilometers from the center...and Tropical Storm Force Winds (62-117 km/hr) extend outward up to 165 kilometers. Bopha remains a large-sized tropical cyclone with a diameter of 775 kilometers across.

The 24-hour rainfall accumulation near the center of Typhoon Bopha is estimated to be extreme (400 mm).

Edited by Pittman apartments Sgn
  • Like 2

tiger31
Posted
Posted

well i,m alright jack for supplies coz i,ll just raid my sari sari store plenty of tins and fresh water lol

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted (edited)

I had some time so looked up the Philippine Signal Codes: :tiphat: Summary is that the signal number relates directly to the wind speed for THE AREA SPECIFIED in the bulletin.

The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) releases tropical cyclone warnings in the form of Public Storm Warning Signals (or just storm signals).[13] An area having a storm signal may be under:

• PSWS #1 - Tropical cyclone winds of 30–60 km/h are expected within the next 36 hours. (Note: If a tropical cyclone forms very close to the area, then a shorter lead time is seen on the warning bulletin.)
  • PSWS #2 - Tropical cyclone winds of 60–100 km/h are expected within the next 24 hours.
  • PSWS #3 - Tropical cyclone winds of 100–185 km/h are expected within the next 18 hours.
  • PSWS #4 - Tropical cyclone winds of greater than 185 km/h are expected within 12 hours.

These storm signals are usually heightened when an area (in the Philippines only) is about to be hit by a tropical cyclone. Thus, as a tropical cyclone gains strength and/or gets closer to an area having a storm signal, it may be heightened to another higher signal in that particular area. Whereas, as a tropical cyclone weakens and/or gets farther away from an area, it may be downgraded to a lower signal or may be lifted (that is, an area will have no storm signal).

Edited by GregZ
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Storm signals

As of Monday afternoon, 10 areas were under Storm Signal 3, where 101-185 kph winds are expected within at least 18 hours:

Surigao del Norte including Siargao Islands

Surigao del Sur

Dinagat Province

Agusan del Norte

Agusan del Sur

Misamis Oriental

Bukidnon

Davao Oriental

Compostela Valley

Davao del Norte including Samal Island

Meanwhile, the following areas were placed under Storm Signal No. 2, where 60 to 100 kph winds are expected for about 24 hours:

Southern Leyte

Bohol

Southern Cebu

Negros Oriental

Siquijor

Misamis Occidental

Lanao del Norte

Lanao del Sur

North Cotabato

Zamboanga del Norte

Under Storm Signal No. 1, where winds of 30 to 60 kph and the possibility of intermittent rains are expected, are the following areas:

Northern Palawan including Calamian Group Of Islands and Cuyo Island

Eastern Samar

Western Samar

Leyte including Biliran

Aklan

Capiz

Antique

Iloilo

Guimaras

Negros Occidental

Rest of Cebu including Camotes Island

Zamboanga del Sur

Maguindanao

Sultan Kudarat

Sarangani

South Cotabato

Canada, UK advise nationals in PHL to take precautions

As this developed, Canada and the United Kingdom advised their nationals in the Philippines to take precautions against bad weather conditions brought by Typhoon Pablo.

In an update to its travel advisory, the Canadian government said: “Typhoon Bopha is expected to make landfall on the eastern islands of the Philippines as a Category 3 typhoon, late on Monday, 3 December (Tuesday, 4 December, local time). Exercise caution, monitor local news and weather forecasts, and follow the advice of local authorities.”

The United Kingdom's Foreign and Commonwealth Office issued a similar advisory to its citizens who are currently in the provinces that are expected to be hit by the storm.

"The regions most affected are expected to be Mindanao and the Visayas. We advise British nationals in the affected areas to exercise caution during the passage of the storm and to monitor local news and weather forecasts, and follow the advice of the local authorities," it said.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/284796/news/nation/ten-areas-under-signal-no-3-as-typhoon-pablo-roars-toward-mindanao

tiger31
Posted
Posted

9 pm local time storm has now been upgraded to a cat 5 super typhoon stand by this is going to be rather rough ol boy lol

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted
The problem I have with this info is that Surigao del Norte is projected to get hit sooner and harder than anywhere else so why only a Signal 1 warning.

2 hours ago a Filipina from Surigao del Sur say level 3. I don't know her sourse, she just told me in message after I had asked earlier today